The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Why use a vertical coil?  (Read 2302 times)

Offline XxredmanxX

Why use a vertical coil?
« on: September 25, 2014, 01:10:33 AM »
Ive seen this a few times now, but i havent tried it myself yet. Why are people making vertical coils? Is there any difference made opposed to normal horizontal coils?

Offline Ean33

• Vaping Guru
  • 3rd june 2011 vaping ever since
Re: Why use a vertical coil?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 02:37:32 AM »
its personal taste really

in truth vertical coils look very nice and its people showing off, imo they dont
vape much differently to any other coil
Caravela, dani box mod, Dna40 lost vapes, kayfun v3 mini, kayfun 5
house of liquid cigarello

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 02:53:00 AM »
They're handy if you're trying to fit a lot of coils into a small space, especially if the coils are long. 
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 08:10:02 AM »
The vertical coil atomizers for the Aspire line (Nautilus and some others, I believe) are actually "inside out" - the wicking material is packed around the outside of the coil and the vapor is produced inside. The airhole feeds the bottom of the vertical coil and the vapor is drawn from the top. I find they work pretty well for me with a fairly free draw and quite a bit higher Wattage than my ViVi Nova liked. (10 Watts vs 5.6 for the VVNs.)
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 01:59:13 AM »
Well, with a centered vertical coil you don't have to worry about lining up the air holes.

In theory, there would be less distance for the juice to wick to get to the coil.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:57:15 AM »
Well, with a centered vertical coil you don't have to worry about lining up the air holes.

In theory, there would be less distance for the juice to wick to get to the coil.

AFAIK, the AGA T3 is the only atomizer that works that way.  It also has very small air-space in the top-cap due to solid metal filler: you can only orient the top-cap one way: by setting the "slot" down over the coil and post.  Probably why it performs so well.  (disclaimer: I'm a fan, and have two of 'em.  Both in use. A bear to build, among other issues, but worth it.) (and now discontinued, I might add.)
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 03:34:04 AM »
There are a lot of RDAs that have either the positive or negative screw(s) on the deck and the others on posts. They should work fine with vertical coils.

Me, I just pay the buck or two and screw in a new factory coil. They don't cost enough for me to bother with all the fiddling necessary when winding my own. I can wind coils good enough for my needs, if it ever becomes necessary.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently