The Vapers Den

Author Topic: How to remove the internals of a Vamo  (Read 8424 times)

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
How to remove the internals of a Vamo
« on: September 06, 2014, 11:53:01 AM »
If for any reason you have to remove the internal circuit board of the Vamo, here's a quick and easy way to do so. Remove the 18650 battery tube, take the top cap of, screw the battery tube on the thread where the top cap goes and gently wiggle the tube from side to side. Some are quite loose and some are quite hard to remove. This method saves the threads being stripped. I dropped my Vamo a few times and the tanks looked like the leaning Tower Of Pisa on it. I done this and fixed it in seconds.
PS....To remove the circuit board, do the above and push the centre pin from underneath with the butt of a screwdriver. Just so you know, reinserting the circuit board is quite tricky and requires a steady hand and some patience....

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
Re: How to remove the internals of a Vamo
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 11:54:38 AM »
Just so you know, reinserting the circuit board is quite tricky and requires a steady hand and some patience....

Yep

Failte mentioned that a few days ago

I never heard anything more

So

Either he binned the idea

Or he is still trying :))
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »
Just so you know, reinserting the circuit board is quite tricky and requires a steady hand and some patience....

Yep

Failte mentioned that a few days ago

I never heard anything more

So

Either he binned the idea

Or he is still trying :))
It nearly ended up in the field beside my house a few times!!. I'll check out his thread and see did he get it. What sections it in??

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 01:16:49 PM »
Failte's VAMO status:

Got new top-cap(s).  Had work friend solder the circuit board on (I suck at soldering).  Got the buttons in - held there with tape on the outside.  Put in circuit board.  Pressed (hammered...) top-cap into tube.

Then - one button came out of hole.

To get it back in, the damn top-cap has to come back off, and the circuit board out.  Getting the press-fit top-cap off the first time is how I destroyed the display screen cover.  Ended up having to use a vise, hammer, and screwdriver to get it off.

So basically, I just haven't had the heart to go through it all again.  But haven't thrown anything away.  Yet.

And btw: the 510 pin just sits in the plastic insulator (press-fit again... really?) - but it's a spring-loaded, 2-part pin.  My guess is that in my old top-cap, the spring might have gotten hot and lost its springiness.

Lesson: no matter how great the rest of the device; if the 510 connector is shit, then the whole device is shit.

Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
  • Mr. 306, but call me Al, just Al
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 01:22:24 PM »

That can't happen if the control board is properly lined up and the spacer is in behind it - There is no play between the bottom of the button and the top of the switch on the control board. You didn't read my instructions, did you ;)

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 09:52:22 PM »
Failte's VAMO status:

Got new top-cap(s).  Had work friend solder the circuit board on (I suck at soldering).  Got the buttons in - held there with tape on the outside.  Put in circuit board.  Pressed (hammered...) top-cap into tube.

To get it back in, the damn top-cap has to come back off, and the circuit board out.  Getting the press-fit top-cap off the first time is how I destroyed the display screen cover.  Ended up having to use a vise, hammer, and screwdriver to get it off.

So basically, I just haven't had the heart to go through it all again.  But haven't thrown anything away.  Yet.

And btw: the 510 pin just sits in the plastic insulator (press-fit again... really?) - but it's a spring-loaded, 2-part pin.  My guess is that in my old top-cap, the spring might have gotten hot and lost its springiness.

Lesson: no matter how great the rest of the device; if the 510 connector is shit, then the whole device is shit.

If you use the battery tube to remove the guts, no need for the vice, hammer or screwdriver. You use the tube to re-insert it too. It took me dozens of goes to get it right. I'm a stubborn bastard so I wasn't giving up on it. I turned the Vamo horizontal so the screen was facing downward, gravity holds the button in place. Slide the circuit board down and when trying to line the fire button up, VERY gently press the bottom half of the fire button until the board slide into place. Once the firing button is in place the other buttons follow.
If you need it, i'll try and show you using photos but I'm not removing the circuit board, too much hassle getting it back in.
Right so to remove the top cap and circuit board;
Remove the ring picture1 and replace it with battery tube (pic2). Wiggle from side to side until the top cap comes out. This can take a bit of force.
The insert the board;
The buttons should be facing the floor, so they stay in place. Slide the circuit board in and gently press the very bottom of the fire button, (pic3), this will angle the button very slightly, allowing the fire button on the circuit board to line up with the external fire button.
To replace the top-cap;
Replace the top cap using the battery tube that should be still attached to the top cap (pic4). Again wiggle from side to side, while pushing down until the cap is flush with the body....Job Done!!!

**In picture 3 the Vamo is on it's side because I can't hold it the correct way and take a photo. The button(s) should be facing the floor**

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 11:43:56 PM »
(couldn't find the right thread... picked this one)

Status: Mukey is back together and working fine with new top-cap.  Is still missing the display-protector, but oh well.  Only place I've seen them for sale is a website in the UK. 

Put the bottom-cap in backwards at first (press-fit, OF COURSE), but got it figured out eventually.  All that trouble to save myself $30.  Not sure it was worth it.
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline retrieverman

• Vapeologist
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 04:57:12 PM »

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal