The Vapers Den

Author Topic: When do i need to change the coil??  (Read 2593 times)

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
When do i need to change the coil??
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:32:15 PM »
I have a Kayfun Lite Plus, with a micro coil 1.4oHm. I change out the cotton every 2 tanks loads or so depending on the flavour. I use quite high VG, around 80/90%, NO issues with wicking. When I switch the cotton, I dry burn the coil, rinse, dry it and dry burn again. The coil looks more or less like new after this. My question is how long does a coil usually last or do I keep using it until it 'pops'???

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
Re: When do i need to change the coil??
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:30:02 PM »
Until it either "pops" or changes resistance by enough that it no longer gives the desired vaping experience. (If it works, don't break it.)
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:34:22 PM »
 They tend to get a little stubborn crud eventually but if things look good after your dry burn with no cotton in you should be OK, darker liquids tend to mess things up faster.
I tend to let them run until I am in the mood then rebuild a few attys at the same time.
I always have the good intention of keeping track of how many fills I give the tanks before I re coil but always get mixed up so I rely on performance fall off.
I build my Kayfunís around 1.8 Ω ( For me itís the best for flavour ) & they last quite some time before performance drops.

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
  • Mr. 306, but call me Al, just Al
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 03:26:15 AM »
I'm always changing my coils because I'm a tinkerer, so I'm not the best person to ask :)

But I use a couple of cheapo RDAs to testing voltage drops etc and the coils let me known when they've had enough because they pop. It's usually the leads from the coil section to the post that gets metal fatigue (for want of a better description) and crack. But up until that point they're fine, so why change them?

Offline wjm364

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 07:11:21 PM »
Hiya mate, if when you change you cotton like me. I give it a couple of pulses, a good blow to get all the gunk of then a rinse in warm water. I don't know if you've noticed, the older your coil gets it kind of looks a brown colour. I always look at mine, with a jeweller's loupe as my eyesite isn't the best. If it looks ok, its the same resistance carry on using it...    Happy days 

Cheers Murpf..   :)
Murpf.. .

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:50:02 PM »
Yeah mine has that same colour too. Resistance around the same as when first built, so I continue to use it. I just thought there maybe a 'best before' date on a coil :D

Offline Spyke27

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 01:05:29 AM »
I went 2 months with out changing the cotton or the coil when i first started (mostly because i didn't know how and didn't have the supplies at that time) Now i change them when i have down time or i learn about a new way to twist or wrap them. Currently i have about 12 Atty sitting in my Vape bag not connected to any mod. Each have a different style of coil, I have 6 ones wrapped in paper in the box also.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 01:09:47 AM »
I bet that coil/cotton was a pretty sight!!

Offline Spyke27

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 01:12:55 AM »
Cotton was burnt and falling apart, the coil was fine just dry burned it a couple times washed it off with distilled water and shoved some new cotton in it and went on my way for a few weeks tell my uncle got me into building coils. I went from almost nothing for supplies to needing a large fishing soft side tackle bag. (Still don't have enough room for the drill)

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently