The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Capella Concentrates  (Read 7346 times)

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
Capella Concentrates
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »
Hey guys, just ordered a few Capella concentrates from Chefs Vapour. New to DIY mixing, so can anyone give me a % to start with for these flavours,
Bubble Gum
Cherry Cola
Golden Pineapple
Juicy Orange
Spearmint
Sweet Strawberry
Strawberry Bubble Gum(Pink Spot).
I have only tried MBV(Flavour West) juices and I have heard they are quite weak. When I order mine from Cloud House I usually get 5 extra shots with them and I still think some could do with a little more!!. I will be going all VG, thinned with some distilled water. Also I'm finding it quite hard to find distilled, can I use Purified water instead???

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
Re: Capella Concentrates
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:40:49 AM »
oh bloody hell no,   unless you want green apple and then its 17%  ;D

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 04:00:18 PM »
<snip> I'm finding it quite hard to find distilled, can I use Purified water instead???

The bottle should say how it has been purified. Distillation, deionization (DI), and reverse osmosis (RO) methods should all be suitable for diluting vaping juices. These methods remove all salts and minerals. If it is suitable for drinking, all (for practical purposes) organics should also have been filtered out. (Also these are all good for topping up the electrolyte in lead-acid batteries - the older style with filler caps.)

Watch out for purified spring water, phrases like "Minerals added for taste", and anything in the ingredients list other than plain water. These would make it unsuitable for diluting juice (although fine for drinking - unless you are on a radically sodium-reduced diet). These all have salt and mineral ions which can build up as scale or be released as an aerosol when the water is vaporized. (They are also unsuitable for topping up lead-acid batteries.)

By the way, the best place to look for distilled water is where the ironing supplies are sold in supermarkets, drugstores and hardware stores. The commonest use is for filling steam irons.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:12:18 PM »
The custard I sent you was at 18% I think, or there abouts

I just mixed up a new batch, but a very different recipe

Though the custard still stayed around the 18% mark  (must work out a way to reduce flavouring by half so I can get a 50/50 mix)

Either way

Always best to start out with too little, rather than too much

I would suggest around the 15% range to get you started, then just add until its correct
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:01:33 PM »
I start out at 10% with most new flavors I get - unless I find info on the web that says something RADICALLY different - and then keep track of my experience from there.  For Teaberry, 10% is WAY too much.  For Bubblegum (I'm leaving out vendor names because I don't have my spreadsheet at work), 10% is not quite enough, probably go 15 or 20 next time.  For watermelon, nutella, toasted almond, peach, etc, etc, etc, it's about right. 

Sometimes, it's really hard to tell where to start.  Pistachio.  10% gives me some flavor all right, but it doesn't remind me at all of pistachios...

And then there's steeping changes.  And the question of how consistent the manufacturer's flavor is to start with.  Or vaping after eating/drinking something strongly flavored.  Too many variables. 

Because people's tastes are so personal, you can't even really take people's advice about % concentrate.  What works for them may taste like soap to you.
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 09:19:14 PM »
Thanks guys. I realize taste is very subjective but I just wanted to get a rough idea. I guess i'll start with 10-15% and work upwards if needed. I found out the MBV with 5 flavour shots is 35%, the standard is 20% and each extra shot is 2.5%, so quite a difference. Just for anyone interested, Nathan at Cloud House Vapors has the MBV concentrates up now. The 5x50ml works out around 45+free delivery.
pwmeek, I bought a 5litre of purified water from the chemists for my fish tanks but it just says Purified B.P. I can get Di water too, so i'll get that.

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 09:25:19 PM »
In the States, pretty much ALL supermarkets carry "Distilled Water".  Doesn't get much purer than that...  Well, assuming that the water that was distilled didn't contain much alcohol...

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2014, 09:56:05 PM »
I tried everywhere over here, including the supermarkets. Nothing. Can get it online but I'm not paying to ship water!!!

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »
Well, for (I think) less than $100 you can buy a counter-top water distiller.  Or make your own from a plastic bag and some sunlight.  Google is your friend.  :)

I'm no expert on water purity, but I'd imagine it goes something like this:

"Filtered" - takes out dirt
"De-ionized" - takes out minerals
both of which do nothing for dissolved chemicals, I wouldn't think.  For that you'd need "distilled".

Mind you, in laboratories the scientists use "de-ionized" water.  I don't think they use "distilled".  I grew up around laboratories, dad and both godfathers - and all their friends - were all scientists.

Also, on my submarine we distilled seawater to make fresh water - but after distilling, we STILL put it through de-ionizing resin.  So take that for what it's worth.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
I'll take my chances with the DI water. I doubt it will do me any harm, especially at the levels we are talking.

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
  • Mr. 306, but call me Al, just Al
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 03:33:37 AM »
You could always simply not use water? What are you planning to use it for?

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »
I'm going all VG. My flavour concentrates are PG based but I doubt that would be enough to thin out the VG???. Nic is VG based too.

Offline G_BexXx_

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 12:21:01 PM »
The custard I sent you was at 18% I think, or there abouts

I just mixed up a new batch, but a very different recipe

Though the custard still stayed around the 18% mark  (must work out a way to reduce flavouring by half so I can get a 50/50 mix)

Either way

Always best to start out with too little, rather than too much

I would suggest around the 15% range to get you started, then just add until its correct
Where do i place and order for this DVC? :) i cant seem to find his site and the word on the streets is that its quite tasty! Ive only mixed my custard at 10% and i love it so maybe next batch ill try 15%.

Offline trubster

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2014, 09:38:45 PM »
So not worth the cost of lab quality water?

Was going to get some from the Alchemists Cupboard

Vaping Spends to date: Lots, but not that much ^^^

Offline trubster

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »

Vaping Spends to date: Lots, but not that much ^^^

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2014, 10:38:54 PM »
Was that question for me??

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2014, 10:54:28 PM »
So not worth the cost of lab quality water?

Was going to get some from the Alchemists Cupboard

If it was me, I'd say no.  But I don't dilute with water anyway, so what do I know about it...

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »
I agree. I thought I would need it as I was using all VG(including the Nice base) except the flavour concentrates which were PG. I thought it be really thick but it's not. So for me, no need to use it.

Offline Pedaldog

• Vaping Guru
  • An extremely intelligent chicken.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:40 PM »
I'm going all VG. My flavour concentrates are PG based but I doubt that would be enough to thin out the VG???. Nic is VG based too.

VODKA! is a good one to dilute most vg heavy flavours I've used it once or twice.

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 07:27:49 PM »
 Vodka is said to add throat hit but in reality the amount you use it makes no difference than thinning with water. 

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Pedaldog

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
Vodka is said to add throat hit but in reality the amount you use it makes no difference than thinning with water. 

Vodka Sounds cooler thobut!

Offline Pedaldog

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2014, 07:12:39 PM »
Just realised I have a Nice, NEW bottle of Absolut Vodka staring at me, unopened! I'm tempted to add a shot to my iced Hydration drinky poos and see what it tastes like.

"2 Minutes later the roving reporter is Back with a result"............ S'actually pretty damn good!
This might turn out to be a long night :)Y) :)Y) :)Y) :)Y) :)Y) :)Y) :)Y) :)Y)

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently