The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Avoiding the infamous Chicago Sorting Facility  (Read 5324 times)

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
Avoiding the infamous Chicago Sorting Facility
« on: June 26, 2014, 05:59:00 AM »
A little googling shows you that lots of people have issues with the USPS "Sorting Facility" in Chicago.  Things sometimes sit there for a week without moving (or, is it just that the tracking system sucks and makes it look that way?).

Whatever the case, I've had enough problems with it myself that I'd really prefer to order from places where my package SHOULDN'T (who can know) have to go to Chicago.  For me, that means Hawaii or California, or probably anywhere on the western seaboard of America.

Trouble is, I'm finding it kind of hard to find, for example, "bulk glycerin in Hawaii" or CA.   I'm getting worrisomely low on juice here, although I have a huge order of it... in the Chicago Sorting Facility.  For a second time, after it took a scenic round-trip tour of Atlanta GA, apparently.   {W}

So: where in CA or HI can I buy bulk VG or preferably both PG and VG?  Or, teach me HOW to fish: how do you go about searching for such a thing?  Not talking about "vape shops" here.  Google says I should be able to get an entire gallon for less than $40.  And that's a "health food" shop price.

ASIDE: apparently most if not all glycerin in the U.S. ( and "vegetable" doesn't actually seem to mean anything, it's ALL "vegetable", made from palm oil, I've read) comes from one manufacturer: HUMCO.  Their site wants $111 for a gallon.  Which seems odd, but whatevs.  They're not on the west coast, so I don't care.

(aside aside: I'm at an Army Post Office address, there's no UPS, Fedex, or DHL here.  US Post Office is my only option).
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
Re: Avoiding the infamous Chicago Sorting Facility
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 08:59:21 AM »
I once had a similar situation with a package which kept bouncing back to the Allen Park, Michigan USPS sorting facility. (Mine was to a regular residential destination.)

I got the shipper to send a trace which shook it loose and finally let it arrive.

I suspect that someone actually goes and finds the package and puts a note on it that routes it properly.

The trouble with troubles like this is that the package gets handled so many times that damage is almost inevitable. Mine was pretty beat up, but the contents were unbreakable, so it worked out OK.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:51:26 AM »
Plenty in Hawaii

http://bit.ly/Vr2UQI
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:19:35 PM »
Plenty in Hawaii

http://bit.ly/Vr2UQI

Obviously I tried that - and got hits from places that SHIP TO Hawaii, have Hawaiian punch flavored juice, or claim Hawaiian ingredients.  Not places IN Hawaii that I can order bulk VG from.  There's gotta be a way.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 04:28:50 PM »
Ahhhh

Hawaii seems to be full of Volcano and Magma brands

Kinda sucks

Seems you may have to put up with extremely slow shipping times or move  :-\

5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 04:51:12 PM »
Didn't have time to really read all on this site Failte, but think ships from hawaii, not sure.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-218/1-Gallon-Veg-Glycerin/Detail
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

James Allen

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 05:06:50 PM »
Didn't have time to really read all on this site Failte, but think ships from hawaii, not sure.

http://www.essentialdepot.com/servlet/the-218/1-Gallon-Veg-Glycerin/Detail

Yeah, I checked them out ("About Us" usually works for that).  They're in Sebring, Florida.  Wrong coast.  This is exactly what makes it so frustrating.  We're not supposed to care why things physically are when searching the 'Net, I guess, so when we do, it's a nightmare.  The other one that always shows up is "Bulk Apothecary".  They sell VG in 55 gallon drums, amongst other sizes.  But they're in Ohio.  So again, dead end.

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 07:04:10 PM »
Falite. Google "shipping VG from Hawaii". You will see  " 1 gal veg glycerin". It says they will ship from Alaska, hawaii and parts of US.  I would contact them if I were you.  K
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

James Allen

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »
If you're talking about Essential Depot, it says they ship TO Alaska, Hawaii, APO, FPO.  I didn't see anything that said they'll ship FROM there.  Anyway, I'll contact them to make sure.  $54 for 1 gal each PG and VG is pretty good... even if postage cost about  half again more.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
They offer free shipping on their Ebay site
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
I bought a gallon of each from Essential Depot a few months back. The service was fast and I seem to recall they shipped by USPS. It only took a few days to get to me.

" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 06:11:19 PM »
The problem seems to be that if they ship from some parts of the US (East or South-East) the package will go through the Chicago Sorting Facility (which seems to have trouble routing properly to APO addresses - at least to ones in the far Pacific). By having the point of shipping origin be somewhere west of the Mississippi (preferably in the Pacific - like Hawaii), maybe the CSF can be avoided.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 08:41:18 PM »
Doesn't always work that way: I ordered a bunch of flavoring from ecigexpress, originating in Bellingham Washington.  STILL went through Chicago.

The only place I've ordered from that hasn't is 101Vapes ("the Fasttech of America"), and they don't carry DIY juice stuff.  As the name indicates, they're on Hwy 101 in California.

But you can't count on that either.  Flavor West orders originate in Lake Elsinore, CA, and went through San Bernadino, Chicago, AND Honolulu (most of them never say they went through Honolulu...) before it got to the APO system and disappeared from tracking.  (that usually happens after Chicago; no more tracking until I actually pick it up).

So ya just never know.

Speaking of Fasttech though, saw an interesting item on there the other day: DNA30 type clones - but just the box, no guts.  Are all these regulator boards the same size, button, and screen placement:  DNA 20, 30 SX-350, Vamo and so on and so forth?    I can't imagine why someone would be selling the case by itself, without even a 510 connector or anything...

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »
Must be an APO thing. I have ordered things from all over the US and don't recall any of them going through Chicago. The only one that might have would have been the package from Pete, a while back. But it arrived in 2-3 days.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
  • Mr. 306, but call me Al, just Al
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 07:49:24 AM »
I can't imagine why someone would be selling the case by itself, without even a 510 connector or anything...

Because Hana stuck a cease and desist on the manufacturer of the clone and for the first time ever in history a Chinese company complied with it  ??? So expect to see all of the other component parts for sale once all of the warehouse hogging empty cases have nearly gone.

Why did they give in and stop making them? Nothing to do with all of the negative reviews and stories of them catching fire I'm sure ;)

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently