The Vapers Den

Author Topic: So long cotton wool, welcome home silica  (Read 1502 times)

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
  • Mr. 306, but call me Al, just Al
So long cotton wool, welcome home silica
« on: April 14, 2014, 05:41:19 PM »
After many months of building RDAs with microcoils and cotton wool, I threw together a build a week ago with silica. And it was good. Best silica build I'd ever experienced.

So tonight I was doing a build and just for fun used silica again. Another great build. I don't know why I'm enjoying silica so much now, as I always found it a bit 'meh' before, which is why I switched to cottom wool (which to be fair, was great). Perhaps I'm just better at making coils now. Perhaps learning how to get exactly the right amount of cotton has made me better able to get the exact right amount of silica in there  w:)w

So, resurrected all of my silica stocks and various gauges of kanthal, and am going old skool for a bit.

Oh, one thing I'm not missing is the 'burning cotton dry hit from hell' paranoia :)

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
Re: So long cotton wool, welcome home silica
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
LOL .... yeah think it made you a better vaper al666 !!!  :)+1

That cotton is too temperamental for me and tastes a bit funny.  :{

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
Re: So long cotton wool, welcome home silica
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
There do seem to be a lot of tricks to cotton...

For instance, if you squeeze it into TOO tight a roll, it'll never swell back up like it was before you rolled it.

It doesn't take very much cotton at ALL to just act as a wick (like down into a genny tank).  But one DOES have to be careful to provide enough to fully contact the coil. 

It will swell more in a couple of hours than it does right when you first juice it up.

Lately, I've been rolling it up tight only in order to thread it through things.  Once through, I chop off the dense part.  For gennys, I make what will be the coil cotton a good bit thicker than what will be the wick cotton.  For RDA's, it seems that wispy clouds of cotton work better than neat, dense ropes of it.  The hard part is convincing the wispy cloud to thread through the coil...

Yes, yes, Mark and/or Dan, I know, "cotton gennys are for girls".  So I tried a mesh again last night, one I'd already made, but cut up so that it barely coils around twice, and then just stuck it in there and started pulsing it.  Learned that once the juice is gone, well OF COURSE it's going to glow... but with juice in, eventually it didn't.  And it worked great last night.  At first. :(
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently