The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Sub-Ohming: Good Practices  (Read 7344 times)

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
Sub-Ohming: Good Practices
« on: March 16, 2014, 10:12:17 AM »
So after reading Ean's thread - https://www.thevapersden.com/index.php?topic=7406.msg182626#msg182626

I thought it may be an idea to do a quick guide on how to Sub-Ohm carefully

We are always seeing new guy's coming on here and seeing all the huge clouds we are blowing out, it looks great, but it is not safe to do it just casually.

If you are new to rebuilding, or experienced with the higher resistance stuff, then please take a few minutes to read this quick guide.

Some of it is from experience, and some more important stuff has been taken from the experience of others.

Batteries

1.Use this guide to select batteries that are suitable for the resistances you are building - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AhCCsGn6F0QLdDJxNzV2c0dSc01mUkl6RXNnM2o2R1E&usp=drive_web&pli=1

2.Don’t use a cheap multimeter to measure sub-ohm resistances – the measurement might be much higher than the actual value of your resistance. Low-resistance measurements require dedicated equipment! Do not experiment with super-low-resistance builds unless you can accurately measure your resistances. Once you have the necessary experience, you will be able to rebuild the same setup in a repeatable way even without measurement tools.

3.Check the condition of your batteries often. Stressed batteries will gradually discharge very fast and show a higher voltage drop on their internal resistance. Don’t use batteries for sub-ohm vaping unless you are monitoring their condition.

4.There is also a good, simple calculator here to work out Watts, Volts and Amps - http://vapecalc.com/

The Mod

1.Just like with batteries, you need to be able to monitor the condition of your mod by measuring voltage drop using a battery that you know. When you notice an abnormally high voltage drop, immediately inspect all connections, starting with the atomizer-to-mod contacts and with the battery-to-mod contacts. It may take time to find the bottleneck, but it will save you from other headaches. If necessary disassemble all fixed contacts of the mod and clean all threads and connections individually.

2.Avoid spring-loaded contacts for sub-ohm vaping, or use harder and preferably plated springs. With use, springs tend to lose their flex, which weakens contact at both ends, resulting in voltage drop and overheating. If you have to use a spring, stretch it often to ensure firm contact at both ends.

3.The collapsible springs used in some mods are a sacrifice of performance in favour of safety. In most cases, you can remove them, though. If you have such a mod and have damaged more than a few of those springs, you shouldn’t be using a mech mod in the first place.

4.Keep all parts tight and clean and, as a rule of thumb, prefer simpler mods with fewer connections. If that means sacrificing things like air-flow control, extensions or other gimmicks, so be it. Keep things simple, especially at the lower end of the sub-ohm range.

5.Keep a list of all connections from the positive battery terminal to the atomizer resistance, and from the negative battery terminal to the atomizer resistance. You need to know which of these connections are the most sensitive, handle them properly and inspect them often.

Mod Switches

1.Handle the switch properly and keep it in top shape to ensure that it is able to conduct the high current without overheating.

2.Proper maintenance and prevention is important. Wipe the contacts of the switch with alcohol every week, blow all parts with compressed air and avoid touching them with bare hands.

3.At lower resistances, remember to operate the switch firmly, especially if it’s a double-break design (all top-firing mods).

4.Very light, accidental presses of the switch can be catastrophic at high currents. Always lock your mod when carrying it and avoid throwing it in dusty pockets.

5.When sub-ohming, you will have to re-plate the contacts of your mods at least every few months. The more serious you are with vaping, the more you must be informed and prepared to do what’s necessary to enjoy it when pushing the limits.

6.With regular maintenance and proper use, the contacts of your mod are very unlikely to suffer from overheating incidents, but if any black spots appear on them, they should be cleaned with “silver wipes” or a non-corrosive cream suitable for silver/brass/ss-ware as soon as possible.

7.Some mods use thermoplastic materials designed to handle temperatures up to 300*C. This means that they are – by design – able to operate in overheated switch conditions that can possibly be an issue for battery safety. Although that means that the mod won’t break easily, don’t take the matter lightly – just because the switch can be operated in unsafe conditions doesn’t mean that you should neglect its maintenance. Industrial switches at these ranges are built to be operated well below the 80*C threshold — high temperature always translates into rapid contact damage, high voltage drop and compromised safety. Monitoring the voltage drop of your mod is the best way to ensure that the switch is in mint condition

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:16:01 PM by danwldr »
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
Re: Sub-Ohming: Good Practices
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 10:17:06 AM »
Thanks Dan,   great guide   8)

Offline Dave

• Vapeologist
  • Smoking is a drag, Vaping is a gas.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:38:32 AM »
Thanks for posting this Dan.    :()()

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 11:40:36 AM »
Thanks so much Dan!   It always scares me when I see un-experienced peeps doing the sub-ohms!    ???
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline G_BexXx_

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 11:46:02 AM »
I really like this threadBut i use panasonics and theres no info. Is this not s good sub ohming battery? I hardly go below .7ohm. I like 1 on my aqua but on my trident i run at like .4. Please let me know before i continue to vape with these batteries.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 12:46:57 PM »
I really like this threadBut i use panasonics and theres no info. Is this not s good sub ohming battery? I hardly go below .7ohm. I like 1 on my aqua but on my trident i run at like .4. Please let me know before i continue to vape with these batteries.

Panasonics are from line 56 down

If your is not there then let us know what they are and will find out for you.
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline G_BexXx_

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 01:09:51 PM »
Ok cool well theyre a little older theyre the CGR185650CH

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 01:30:13 PM »
The High Drain Cell from Panasonic CGR18650CH can reach a discharge current of 10A  so should be good down to 0.5Ohm
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline VapeAddict

• Vaping Guru
  • Still Vaping - Still Breathing
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
 :}-]

Great post Dan  :)+1

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 01:41:16 PM »
There is also this calculator to work out the watts and amps you are using

http://vapecalc.com/
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline G_BexXx_

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 02:01:28 PM »
Thanks Dan appreciate the help. :D

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »
There is also this calculator to work out the watts and amps you are using

http://vapecalc.com/

dan can you add that to your first post  pretty please    x:)x

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 08:09:20 PM »
Have locked this topic and moved to rebuildables

Any questions or input please go here - https://www.thevapersden.com/index.php?topic=7495.0
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently