The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Coiling Kayfun  (Read 19169 times)

Offline miknoypinoy

• Vapeologist
Re: Coiling Kayfun
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 01:34:37 PM »
"Why " you ask failte?. . .

"Cause' cotton is where it's at!"

Mike

I'm not afraid. . . You will be. . . You will be. . .

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
Nah

Mesh is where its at :))

Gotta get a slug running in dem drippers of yours :)+1
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
  • Mr. 306, but call me Al, just Al
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »

I was thinking about giving that a go myself earlier. Gonna be weird cutting the mesh diagonally for the first time!

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »

I was thinking about giving that a go myself earlier.

:]=]

Better/different flavour

Enjoy :)
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2014, 10:02:20 PM »
My B&M finally got some Kayfun clones in today. Got the call, straight down there and picked one up. Got home and straight to work. Cleaned it, Built it, 1.4oHm. This thing is amazing. Thick Vaper and incredible flavour.....

Offline KJR4413

• Demon Vaper
  • Vaping Guru
  • Demon on Wheels
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2014, 10:35:06 PM »
Holy cripes those juice channels are HUGE.  Like, pack-wicking-into-them-like-an-Aqua huge.
Keep yer stick on the ice! -- Red Green

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2014, 10:36:23 PM »
Nice pair-coil.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline KJR4413

• Demon Vaper
  • Vaping Guru
  • Demon on Wheels
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
Yeah, well done on the parallel coil there, Ian.  :)+1
Keep yer stick on the ice! -- Red Green

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2014, 11:22:04 PM »
Yeah I was pretty happy with the coil. It was a little tricky as I've only built a few coils in Protanks but I got it on the third attempt. When I say 'I got it', it's not the neatest looking coil but it's right around where I want it oHm's wise and it works!!. I ended up nearly OD-ing on Nic. I currently use 18mg and just couldn't stop vaping. Starting feeling sick :{.
Stan, try it with some organic cotton. I use varies Protanks and love them but flavour wise, this thing blows them all away. Even the difference between regular cotton and organic is huge imo...

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2014, 08:33:25 PM »
FINALLY got my last Fasttech order in, a month after ordering.  Isn't usually that bad - I will avoid the Singapore Post option in the future.  Only picked it because it seemed like the "default" at the time.

Anyway - got both the little and big "Quartz tank kits" for my Kayfun.  Because they were only like $4 each.  I've seen them online for upwards of $25.  WTF is that all about?

Kayfun still not wicking right though, but I'm still making the coil linear with the posts, as opposed to perpendicular, which seems to be the common suggestion.  Makes it way harder to get the wicks to "just touch the deck" when the coil is in line.  Okay **cracks knuckles**, let's do it again, then!  Although frankly, the Kayfun is never going to get used much by me: not enough air, and nothing you can do about it.  Maybe I'll try an Aqua or the newest Fogger next.  Only issue I had with the Fogger was that it was impossible to build because you had to install the coils "down in a hole", and they've fixed that 3 versions ago, apparently.

It's weird: the Fogger covers the top half of the tank with steel for no good reason, and the T7 does exactly the same thing for the bottom.  Frankly, I need to see when it's getting LOW, not when it's getting full... so points off to AGA for that.
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »
Here's two new tanks to consider Failte, The Big Dripper RDTA and the Ovale Delta. Both seem to be 'game changers'. The genuine Big Dripper is around $140 but there is a clone available already. The genuine Delta I think is around $40. Both have got great reviews. They are now on my wishlist.

Offline Tom_Pulliam

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 02:06:46 AM »
FINALLY got my last Fasttech order in, a month after ordering.  Isn't usually that bad - I will avoid the Singapore Post option in the future.  Only picked it because it seemed like the "default" at the time.

Anyway - got both the little and big "Quartz tank kits" for my Kayfun.  Because they were only like $4 each.  I've seen them online for upwards of $25.  WTF is that all about?

Kayfun still not wicking right though, but I'm still making the coil linear with the posts, as opposed to perpendicular, which seems to be the common suggestion.  Makes it way harder to get the wicks to "just touch the deck" when the coil is in line.  Okay **cracks knuckles**, let's do it again, then!  Although frankly, the Kayfun is never going to get used much by me: not enough air, and nothing you can do about it.  Maybe I'll try an Aqua or the newest Fogger next.  Only issue I had with the Fogger was that it was impossible to build because you had to install the coils "down in a hole", and they've fixed that 3 versions ago, apparently.

It's weird: the Fogger covers the top half of the tank with steel for no good reason, and the T7 does exactly the same thing for the bottom.  Frankly, I need to see when it's getting LOW, not when it's getting full... so points off to AGA for that.
So how did the quartz tanks work out for you I'm waiting on one myself

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 04:25:24 AM »
Well, I only tried the small tank before I gave up on Kayfuns all together.  Even when they work right, it just doesn't do it for me.  Not enough air.

The quartz tanks.  Well, it "worked" okay, but it's only held together with o-rings, which means that the entire atomizer will only be held together by o-ring friction.  That said, I didn't have any issues with it coming apart unless I was TRYING to pull it apart.  Also: it left a gap between the glass and the metal (of either the base or the top-cap, depending on which way you slide the tank.  Not nearly enough gap for the glass to slide OFF its o-rings, but still.  Not sure how one might fix it... cut off some of the chimney?  Anyway, it's probably fixable, but yeah, not worth the effort to me.

Sure looks pretty though.  Mine have red o-rings.  Looks pretty cool.

All Kayfun would have to do is put threads on the chimney top and matching threads in the top-cap, and the damn thing COULD be held together properly without a threaded tank (like the Fogger, AGA T7, etc, etc).  but oh well.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:12 AM »
You should get a shorter chimney with the Nano kit
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2014, 07:37:12 AM »
Yes, both the large and "nano" kits came with replacement chimneys - it just wasn't quite short enough by maybe 1mm.  Keep in mind, my Kayfun is a clone.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2014, 07:41:18 AM »
Oh yeah  :{

Take a nail file to the top of the chimney then.
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2014, 08:13:41 AM »
If you do any "machining" on an atomizer, be really careful where the swarf (the bits that get machined off) ends up. If it gets into some place where it makes a connection between the positive and negative poles of the atomizer, you could be in for an unpleasant surprise.

I've been delaying drilling out the smallest (to one size larger than the largest) AFC hole in my Nautiluses because I can't see how to avoid getting swarf inside where it may not be possible to clear it away. I may have to buy a spare, so I can investigate disassembly. (I won't take one of my working devices out of service, even for a short time.)
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
Looks good!

I haven't built my Kayfun in a while, but I did try a double coil nano build one time that worked really nice. Just wrapped the coil around a smaller jewelers screwdriver.

Worked nice.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2015, 11:12:16 PM »
Thanks for the idea you've shared. I will give this a shot tomorrow.

Offline Bigjohn2016

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2016, 08:34:27 PM »
Hello, i would like to use silica wick in my Kayfun 5, does this stuff produce better flavour and last longer than cotton? Thank you

John

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2016, 06:58:17 AM »
Hello, i would like to use silica wick in my Kayfun 5, does this stuff produce better flavour and last longer than cotton? Thank you

John
Flavor is subjective. Lasting longer, yes. This is most critical if you ever let your coil run dry; cotton goes up in a cloud of nasty-tasting smoke the moment it gets dry. Silica can stand the heat. That said,  when the silica wick runs dry, it gets hot enough to cook the remaining juice, giving you a "dry hit" which both tastes unpleasant, and clogs the wick with burnt juice and carbon residue. This makes the wick less absorptive and is the usual reason why people have to replace atomizers (or rewick them) rather than because the coil itself burns out. (Flavors also contribute to wick clogging; dark flavors clog wicks faster. My flavorless juice lets me use the same atomizer for months - I can't remember when I last changed my atomizer, but I am very careful to refill the tank before it goes dry.)

This is much less of an issue with TC (temperature controlled) coils (and a TC mod to drive them) made with nickel or other exotic wire. They can never get above the preset temperature (usually 400˚ to 450˚F - 205˚ to 232˚ C) so they won't burn the wick if they run dry, just quit producing vapor.

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2016, 09:48:50 AM »
  I always used silica in my kayfun’s but that was partly because I could never get cotton to work as I wanted.
I have cotton in the 5 and its great but I once let it run dry destroying the wick.
I could never see the point in using TC with a tank because you can usually see the amount of liquid left but after letting one run dry I proved myself wrong. 
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2016, 11:45:45 AM »
<snip> you can usually see the amount of liquid left <snip>
You must not vape in the dark too much.  :D :D :D

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2016, 01:23:04 PM »
  ˝ the time I only have the light from my monitors  ;)
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2016, 05:59:28 PM »
Welcome to the Darkside Cy  :()().... I don't use glass in my tanks.. Stainless steel only. You can sense the disturbance in the flavor if the force is strong in you.  ;)

Silica won't mess with the flavor once the coil is broke in... same as cotton. As has been said silica is more durable and can take a licking.

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently