The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Tutorial for Dripping atomisers (RDA's)  (Read 9227 times)

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
Tutorial for Dripping atomisers (RDA's)
« on: February 05, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
I have broken rebuilding down into three easy steps for you. Remember that this is not an advanced build. Once you have built your first couple of coils and realize how simple it is you can start to tweak your build to your liking. First, we need a little prep work. Get everything on this list and lay it out in front of you. Do this on a table or surface that has plenty of room for you to work.

pair of nail clippers
pair of pliers. Needle nose pliers work great.
paper clip, safety pin or nail
two-inch length of whatever gauge Kanthal wire you prefer. (.20 is a good place to start.)
two-inch length of wick. Silica wick is good, but you can use cotton wick if you prefer.
screwdriver that fits your post screws. The small screwdrivers made to tighten eye glasses work really well.

Don't over think the process. For this tutorial, we will be making a coil with three to four wraps of Kanthal wire. That should produce a coil with sufficient resistance. Take your wick and fold it in half.

Then take your safety pin and place it right next to the wick. This gives you something hard and stable to help you wrap your wire into a tighter coil.

Take your wire and tightly wrap it around three or four times. Make sure to leave some wire on either end of your coil so you can attach it to your atomizer. Once the coil is wrapped to your liking, pull the safety pin out from the middle of your coil and pull the coil a little tighter around your wick, using the pliers if needed. Make sure each wrap in the coil is generally the same size (emphasis on generally!) and the spacing between them is even.

Then, do the same with the other end. One trick that might help you secure them is to start wrapping with the direction that the post screws back in. When you start to screw in your posts you will notice that it will pull the coil tight against them.

You do not want excess space between your posts and your coil. Also, it does not matter if you have extra wire sticking out. Once both ends are secured on the posts you can clip the excess wire using the nail clippers. Some people like to wait until after they test fire it to clip the ends. This gives them a little extra coil to adjust with if needed. However, since you can clip your wick to any length you wish—this really is just a matter of personal preference.

The last step is to test fire and tweak your coil.

Now screw your RBA onto your mod and fire it at a medium or low voltage. You should see the coil heat up and turn red. This is expected, however do not hold your fire button down for too long.

Please note, if using cotton wool, drip a two or three of drips of juice onto the coil before firing, otherwise the cotton will burn instantly and you will have to re-wick it

You only want to hold it down long enough to verify that it is firing properly. Also pay attention to how the coil is heating. You know you have wrapped a decent coil when the coil starts to turn red in the middle and then radiates outward toward the posts.

If your coil is turning red somewhere else along the wire then you may not have wrapped that section evenly or one side may be looser on the posts than the other.

If that is the case then all you have to do is gently tug the coil with your tweezers until it is even begins to heat from the middle outward.

If your coil is not heating at all then the coil is either not making contact with both posts, or the resistance of your coil is too low for your device (regulated devices)

Either secure your coil to your posts again or add another wrap to your coil. More wraps equals more resistance. Last but not least, pick up your favorite juice, fill or drip, and you are now ready to vape!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 03:21:45 AM by danwldr »
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
Re: Tutorial for Dripping atomisers (RDA's)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
awesome  thanks dan    ;D

Offline cracker

• Addicted to VAPING!!
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:54:20 PM »
 :}-]
Thanks Dan.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 10:20:49 PM »
Nice, Dan.  However, I have two comments.

"The last step is to test fire and tweak your coil."

If you are using cotton, do all this before adding the cotton. Otherwise it will char quickly.

"If your coil is not heating at all then the coil is either not making contact with both posts, or the resistance of your coil is too low for your device (regulated devices)"

Or the resistance is too high, making the current too low. But you would have to work at it a bit for that to happen.

" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
Yes

You are quite correct about the cotton and I will rectify that when I get on a comp later today

And in the tutorial I use four wraps of wire, that should fire on most regulated mods no matter what gauge as they are normal spaced coils, not micro's

This tutorial is for beginners just entering RDA's

I haven't and won't go near sub- ohming here

5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 10:51:23 PM »
With just 4 or 5 wraps of 32 gauge (0.20 mm) wire, the coils would have to be huge for the resistance to be high enough that a regulated PV would not heat them to glowing.

I know my Vamo in wattage mode will heat a 4 ohm coil enough that it vapes fine.

Hm. I have some 34 gauge Kanthal. It is about 2 ohms/inch. Even a coil with 6-8 wraps would be under 4 ohms. So my previous comment about too high a resistance has no realistic foundation.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently