The Vapers Den

Author Topic: The best gift you can give  (Read 11776 times)

Offline wabi

The best gift you can give
« on: October 06, 2013, 01:50:55 AM »
This is a very personal story, I only share it in the hope it may help someone along the way to giving up cigarettes for good.
Years ago, when my son was only 5 years old, he and I were in a serious car accident. I was driving and he was in the back strapped into a car seat. We were coming around a steep downhill curve when I saw a truck in the wrong lane headed straight for us. There was no doubt we were going to be hit, I only had a heartbeat to react. The only thought that came into my head was, how can I position this car so the impact hits me, not him. There was no time to think things through, this was pure gut reaction. I knew beyond any doubt, in that one split second, I would give my life for him. It was nothing short of a miracle we both walk out of that mangled car. He didn't have a scratch on him.
That little boy is now grown and off to college. He is a remarkable young man, intelligent and kind. He is going into bio medical engineering, he wants to save the world. I am blessed to have him, and all his life, I have smoked. My smoking has always worried him, he has begged me so many times to quit, but I just couldn't. His pleas of " you and dad are all I have in this world and I don't want to lose you" broke my heart. Yet I kept smoking. Then one day it hit me, how can you love someone enough to die for them, yet you won't LIVE for them. It is that simple, the greatest gift you can give your family is to simply live. To be there. I lost my father a few years ago, and I would give anything to just have one more day with him. I realized this is the same thing, I don't want to give up a single day of being with the people I love. They deserve that, and so do I. Cigarettes are a thief, they were robbing me of life. Far too precious a thing to give away without a fight.
Withdrawal is tough. Leaving this world too soon is tougher.
Hang in there.
Someday I hope to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline KJR4413

• Demon Vaper
  • Vaping Guru
  • Demon on Wheels
Re: The best gift you can give
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 02:00:07 AM »
That is a wonderful message, wabi. My own stop-smoking story echoes yours in my young son's wish to see me quit and the eventual fulfillment of his wish.
Keep yer stick on the ice! -- Red Green

Offline wabi

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 02:05:37 AM »
Thank you kjr, I hesitated to post it. Not sure if it is appropriate, but it is deeply felt.

Offline KJR4413

• Demon Vaper
  • Vaping Guru
  • Demon on Wheels
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 02:13:00 AM »
I certainly think it's appropriate as it is an inspiring thought, but may be better placed on another board. An admin/mod will surely move it if need be.
Keep yer stick on the ice! -- Red Green

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:17:54 AM »
Wabi, that's a wonderful story and very appropriate ... Caz, Lettie and Cath will all moon over it, they love love love mushy stories!  Thank you for sharing that, clearly it is very personal along with being a great message.

Offline Dave

• Vapeologist
  • Smoking is a drag, Vaping is a gas.
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »
Very touching story there Wabi and could be a great insperation for others. Thanks for sharing.

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »
Thank you kjr, I hesitated to post it. Not sure if it is appropriate, but it is deeply felt.
If your post helps even one person stop smoking it was worth posting so don’t worry.

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 07:21:54 AM »
Wabi, so glad you felt comfortable to share that with us.   Yes, I got the ole goose boobies from reading it. 

Non-smokers just don't understand the HOLD that ciggies can have on us.   I am so glad I am free of them now!
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »
OK

You got me too  :-[

Great for you to share that with us Wabi, I love to read stuff like that  8]]
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline wabi

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 01:14:25 PM »
Thanks guys. I never would have posted that in another forum. You guys are the best  x:)x.

Offline BigDwain

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 03:33:50 PM »
Wabi

That was a very heart felt note . Made me cry.
I also have a simaler story ,but in mine my twin brother died.

The world is a brighter place because you !!! x:)x

Offline Vaporlove12

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2014, 03:25:29 PM »
Wonderful story. Very inspirational. Thanks for sharing!!!
VAPE ON MY FRIENDS!!!!!

Offline LouLou

• VamoV5 w/ UD Aga-T3
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
 :'( Oh wow, that is a sad yet happy story. I'm happy that you've decided to "Live" for those you love. I'm sad at the tough times you've had to face. Ugh, typing this while holding back tears is tough.

I'd like to share a short story as well. I'm not trying to 'one up' but something that I've done and am ashamed of, that I just need to let go of. When I was a little girl my father smoked cigars, at least 2 a day. I hated the smell of my clothes, the smell of my daddy when I would hug him, the smell of his breath when he would give me a kiss, I HATED the smell of smoke. One day we were at our favorite father/daughter eatery, Stake-N-Shake. We were saying good-bye with our normal hug and a kiss. Just as we were letting go of our hug I asked him "Daddy, I don't like the smell of you when you smoke. Would you please quit." He's not had one drag off of ANY cigar or smoking device since then. What a HYPOCRITE I am for smoking. Now that I've been 10 months cigarette free I can finally redeem myself by sharing my vaping experience. It's honestly the ONLY thing that's kept me off of those nasty analogs.  #P#

Offline wabi

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
I am glad you enjoyed to story.
Lou Lou, I think many of us former smokers carry regrets and remorse. Hind sight is always 20-20. I still wonder how I was so willing to risk my health or even my life. Especially when I had a child that was relying on me. I took up smoking when I was 15, at that age we all think we are invincible. Once the habit has it's hooks in you, the lies you are able to tell yourself are incredible. Carrying guilt helps no one, so the best thing we can do is use the knowledge we now have to help others give up smoking.

Offline Grimsmith

• Vapeologist
  • Trying hard to not be an idiot.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 06:00:52 PM »
For me it was basically my parents pointing out that they didn't want to outlive me and it was definitely heading that way. I'd also like to see my all of my nephews and nieces grow to adults and the likelihood of that happening at the rate I was going was extremely slender. We all have our reasons, I'd honestly say that you've summed it up best.
Neil, aka Grim or "That gloomy bugger over in the dark corner".

Offline stlvapegurl

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 09:14:38 PM »
So glad you shared your story. My son kept nagging me too. I would quit and then start up again eventually. I finally saw the light in my own way. I sat my two boys down and showed them my electronic cigarette and explained to them that I wanted to fulfill their wish but I was struggling with it and I was hoping the ecig would help. I assured them it would not harm me nor them and there would no longer be cigarette burns or smell. They were very receptive to it and supported my decision. Three years later I'm still smoke free and absolutely hate the smell of cigarettes. My little motto: Love your new life...that's exactly how I see it. I have a new, improved life, and I know I'll be around for my kids as they grow older.
Love your new life!

Offline wabi

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32:39 PM »
It is amazing how we can find the strength for those we love easier than we can find it for ourselves.

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 09:51:31 PM »
It is amazing how we can find the strength for those we love easier than we can find it for ourselves.

Actually... that syndrome - part of the human condition - is probably another case of the Dunning-Kruger effect. 

Because you can't analyse yourself relative to other people (no, you can't, because you're a person too. Your dog can, though.) maybe you tend to think that other people are more worthy of love than you are.  Just like smart people assume that everyone else is smart too, and therefore their own intelligence is nothing special (the aforementioned DK Effect).  Dumb people, on the other hand, have enormously exaggerated opinions of their "smartness". 

Which is why I can say that without offending any dumb people.  EVERYone thinks they're smart.  :)

"The Human Condition".  It is SO not without flaws.  Big ones.  So don't go getting a big head just because you're human.
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline shahinian

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 09:09:31 AM »
great story Wabi, and I have to agree with you about this forum.....I have been a member of other forums for other things ( and another for Vaping ) and NONE are as nice and supporting as this group.

Offline BigT

• just trying to make my vaping quest better
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2014, 12:42:37 PM »
THAT WAS GREAT.....thank you for that. :()()
BigT

Offline travis98310

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 07:42:09 AM »
This is a very personal story, I only share it in the hope it may help someone along the way to giving up cigarettes for good.
Years ago, when my son was only 5 years old, he and I were in a serious car accident. I was driving and he was in the back strapped into a car seat. We were coming around a steep downhill curve when I saw a truck in the wrong lane headed straight for us. There was no doubt we were going to be hit, I only had a heartbeat to react. The only thought that came into my head was, how can I position this car so the impact hits me, not him. There was no time to think things through, this was pure gut reaction. I knew beyond any doubt, in that one split second, I would give my life for him. It was nothing short of a miracle we both walk out of that mangled car. He didn't have a scratch on him.
That little boy is now grown and off to college. He is a remarkable young man, intelligent and kind. He is going into bio medical engineering, he wants to save the world. I am blessed to have him, and all his life, I have smoked. My smoking has always worried him, he has begged me so many times to quit, but I just couldn't. His pleas of " you and dad are all I have in this world and I don't want to lose you" broke my heart. Yet I kept smoking. Then one day it hit me, how can you love someone enough to die for them, yet you won't LIVE for them. It is that simple, the greatest gift you can give your family is to simply live. To be there. I lost my father a few years ago, and I would give anything to just have one more day with him. I realized this is the same thing, I don't want to give up a single day of being with the people I love. They deserve that, and so do I. Cigarettes are a thief, they were robbing me of life. Far too precious a thing to give away without a fight.
Hang in there.

Thank you for sharing your very personal story. I know it's been very hard for you to keep away from your smoking habits. But you made it. Congratulations to you. You've been so blessed that you survived the accident when your son was still a young boy. And to realized that life is very important, you did a totally great job there.
Rewriting the rules of Electronic Cigarettes

Offline wabi

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 01:14:01 PM »
Thank you for the kind words Travis.

Offline LadyGia

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »
Hang in there.
Great post, my daughter said simliar things to me that finally sunk in , thank God she doesnt mind me vaping

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal