The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Microcoils and Cotton Wick  (Read 45789 times)

Offline Rickter

Re: Microcoils and Cotton Wick
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2014, 04:23:26 PM »
I'm running dual micro coils on a nimbus and I use cotton wicks, I'd post a pic but can't from my iPhone, was wondering if anyone here could post a pick of the best way to wick it for airflow and great vape production. Just looking for the best wicking I can do. Any suggestions or pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Aloha

Offline starlyte

• Attention ! Vaping can be good for your health
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2014, 12:20:49 PM »
Thanks Gordy, really helped me understand the microcoil principal. I thought it was that, but it is nice to have it written down for you. Superbly tutorialled... :}}} or whatever the word should be.

Thanks, any how. Now I'm waiting on a KFL to arrive to try it in practice  :0)) which will be a right laugh, I'm so damned clumsy  {W}
VAPE IN PEACE

Sent by a Puppy Linux PC gratuit.

Offline etherealink

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »
I had my first go at a Micro Coil today using Cotton Wick

Cotton Wick
​this isnt a new practice and has been used quite a bit with good results however cotton isnt tolerant to heat like silica and will burn very easily. therefore you must ensure it is wet at all times... burnt cotton tastes foul !!

Microcoils
Microcoils work on a slightly different principle to regular coils...so i will attempt to explain  ;D

an atomiser coil is simply a wire that resists electrical energy flow. this resistance causes some of the electrical energy to be transformed into heat and light energy. the heat is what vapourises your e-juice. the actual shape you wrap or coil your wire into has no effect on its resistance, therefore an identical piece of wire wound into 10 wraps will heat up the same as if you wound it into 4 wraps. in fact its only actually wrapped into a coil shape to aid in its contact with the e-juice

resistance of a wire comes down to three things. the material properties of the wire, its cross sectional area and its length

ie the thinner the gauge (cross sectional area) of the wire, the higher the resistance
the longer the wire, the higher the resistance   

regular coil with microcoil illustrated below - the red arrows indicate the flow of electricity

so on thoses principles you would assume that the microcoil with the much longer length of wire would be of a higher resistance....but in fact they read the same resistance !!!

this is because the wraps in the microcoil are touching so what you are doing is creating a wire tube and as such increasing the cross sectional area for the electricity to flow through. in this setup the size of the wraps do have an effect on the resistance, the larger the diameter the greater the cross sectional area.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i started off with some 0.3mm Kanthal. imo thicker wire is better for microcoils as its easier to get the wraps to touch. I then tightly wrapped it around a 2mm allen key or syringe. make sure to keep the wraps up tight against one another so they touch as much as possible ...i did about 9-10 which came out at 1.4ohms ....12-13 would take you up to about 2ohms but i wouldn't go much higher as you want to avoid making too much of a tunnel for the juice to have to flow through

i fixed it to the dripper and then removed the allen key

i heated the coil till red and then used long nose pliers to compress the wraps together from each end.
you shouldn't apply too much pressure, it's just enough to hold the wraps together until they cool
do this a few times to make sure that there are no gaps between the coils left

a good coil will light up evenly starting from the middle and working its way outward

you can now see that all the gaps between the wraps have been eliminated

at this point you want you can check the resistance to see if its what you were expecting.
when happy thread some cotton wool through the coil...it shouldn't be too tight as it will expand quite a bit when its wet
if you use too much cotton wool it could restrict juice flow and you will burn the cotton 

trim off the ends leaving enough cotton to fill the base of the atomiser

then prime with juice

...and give it a blast    :)

I cant express enough times the importance of keeping the wick wet with juice
dont wait till the flavour drops off to re-drip as it will probably too late

Findings and Conclusions

i gotta say i was quite impressed with the microcoil, it certainly produced a lot more vapour than a conventional coil... obviously having the much larger heating area being the reason

the cotton wick was interesting, as ss mesh brings out differences in juice compared to silica, cotton seemed different from either of those two.... notable juices being the custard that seemed smoother and the El Toro which had a richer more tobacco edge than i have sampled before.

changing of the wick with cotton wick it couldn't be easier... there is no need to replace the microcoil. just carefully pull the old cotton wick out of the microcoil, give it a few short blasts allowing it to glowing red and turn any build up to ash. thread in some fresh cotton and away you go

since i did this in a dripper i have tried it in several other devices like the Kayfun etc... following the same process and rewarded with great results

i hope this is useful, if you have any comments or questions feel free to ask 

Love the tutorial, and yes, I pre-heat mainly to make the wire more manageable before wrapping.  I do however take an unliked juice and pre-oxidize a few drops without the wick installed.

I have to ask though, what RDA did you build that on, I love the connections being set up like my aga-t!

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 02:45:49 PM »
That coil is awfully close to the deck - as close as the builder could get it, it looks like.  Is there a reason for that?  Wouldn't it be better to be higher so more air could get under there (depending on where  the air-hole in the top-cap is)?
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
It doesn't have much of a juice well, so I would assume that the airhole is in direct line with the coil, which is what you want for clouds :)
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline Richard Madsen

• vaponater
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 06:51:57 PM »
can you identify the atomizer used in this thread please

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 07:38:26 PM »
can you identify the atomizer used in this thread please

HellFire
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline iVape

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2014, 04:59:22 AM »
so it is ok to squeeze the coils together and fire the battery at the same time?

No, don't ever do that!

Offline corpus

« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2014, 06:22:26 AM »
squeezing the coils while firing will result in a short...which is not good!

either squeeze them before installing in tweezers and get them hot with a blow torch.. or when installed press the button and when they glow let go. Then while hot squeeze with tweezers. :)

Offline cracker

• Addicted to VAPING!!
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »
Thanks Gordy. :}-]

Offline DavidP1970

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 10:44:51 AM »
Has anyone here tried the Peaches&Cream brand cotton yarn that Walmart sells?  It is undyed, 100% cotton.  I have tried it, and the results seemed to be OK, but I was looking to see if anyone here has used it.

Thanks!
If you do not learn something new every day, then you are simply not paying attention.

Offline DavidP1970

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 02:28:31 PM »
I am realizing that IF I had read all of this thread, I would not have needed to post one of my own.  Thank you again!
If you do not learn something new every day, then you are simply not paying attention.

Offline retrieverman

• Vapeologist
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 04:16:22 PM »
Has anyone here tried the Peaches&Cream brand cotton yarn that Walmart sells?  It is undyed, 100% cotton.  I have tried it, and the results seemed to be OK, but I was looking to see if anyone here has used it.

Thanks!
I use ordinary white cotton parcel string works a treat

"Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints".

Offline retrieverman

• Vapeologist
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2014, 07:50:14 AM »
[img][/img]

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
  • Mr. 306, but call me Al, just Al
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2014, 08:04:12 AM »
]

Ah, you use Superlux VapoString. Made from flax harvested by specially trained wombats, lovingly crafted in the Philipines, packed in a nitrogen rich atmosphere and available in limited quantities for only 14.99 per metre  :)+1

Offline retrieverman

• Vapeologist
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 06:08:24 PM »
Yes but I've not found any labels like people
Find in primark clothes
[img][/img]
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:38:37 PM by retrieverman »

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2014, 08:51:35 PM »
Is it the fact that the coils are touching that makes it a micro coil or the inside diameter of the coil??

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 08:58:06 PM »
Touching.  A "nano-coil" on the other hand, is just a micro-coil with VERY narrow inside diameter (like, wrapped on a needle).  And a "dragon-coil" is a micro-coil with the wick on the outside, leaving one end open, so it spits vapor out of a tube of coil.  A "tin-man" coil is a sloppily-wrapped micro-coil made from ribbon wire.  Let's see... Well, those are the biggies.  Beyond those they get WAY complicated (the Clapton-coil - wires coiled around other wires and then formed into a coil themselves...).

The distinctive feature of the micro-coil is that they start glowing in the middle, and then it works its way to the edges.

{EDIT}: "Clapton", not "Clampton".  Comes Alive.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 09:42:15 PM by failte »
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:15 PM »
Touching.  A "nano-coil" on the other hand, is just a micro-coil with VERY narrow inside diameter (like, wrapped on a needle).  And a "dragon-coil" is a micro-coil with the wick on the outside, leaving one end open, so it spits vapor out of a tube of coil.  A "tin-man" coil is a sloppily-wrapped micro-coil made from ribbon wire.  Let's see... Well, those are the biggies.  Beyond those they get WAY complicated (the Clampton-coil - wires coiled around other wires and then formed into a coil themselves...).

The distinctive feature of the micro-coil is that they start glowing in the middle, and then it works its way to the edges.
Thanks Failte, received and understood!!

Offline starlyte

• Attention ! Vaping can be good for your health
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2014, 02:31:34 PM »
 :-\ Looks sooo easy when it's coiled and photoed, even if it looks like ET on the flower... :u)

But in practice I need my specs + a helping hands magnifying glass + light, to get any coil that's even half as neat and perfect as those.

Oh well :)Y) guess I'll get there in the end  :=3 . Patience is a virtue  :()() and it hasn't really driven me to drink  :}}}

I do have my ORGANIC (yes, indeed!) cotton, boiled in distilled water, rinsed, ready and waiting for my first working microcoil  ;D , in fact it's quite a while that it's been waiting...

:}-] though, really nicely done.  %4% My thanks, sir, sincerely. A superb tutorial, as I said before.
VAPE IN PEACE

Sent by a Puppy Linux PC gratuit.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 04:08:22 PM »
> But in practice I need my specs + a helping hands magnifying glass + light, to get any coil that's even half as neat and perfect as those.

Or, you can go to Fasttech and purchase one of their bags of 50 closely wound coils, for about $4.00.

If you do, watch the resistances listed carefully. Also be aware that all their prewound coils are small diameter wire and will not handle a lot of wattage.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline the_gorgatron

• Sometimes I'm right, but usually it's 50/50...;)
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2014, 05:01:04 AM »
> But in practice I need my specs + a helping hands magnifying glass + light, to get any coil that's even half as neat and perfect as those.

Or, you can go to Fasttech and purchase one of their bags of 50 closely wound coils, for about $4.00.

If you do, watch the resistances listed carefully. Also be aware that all their prewound coils are small diameter wire and will not handle a lot of wattage.

I'm much the same, though it's easier now that i've mad e a bunch of them. i use microcoils pretty often using 30 ga Kanthal (0.25 mm?, I forget what the package said) it's all i have , and i'm not buying anymore stuff for a while - while a great alternative to smoking, or using snus, in my case, i'm not all together convinced that i'm saving any money with this new way to get my vice. when i want a heavier gauge wire, i simply twist multiple strands of my wire. works great.

I wrap coils at my workbench, where i have loads of extra light. I don't use a third hand, though i've considered it since it would come in handy for other hobbies i have. at the vape shop i work at one day per week, i told my friend/owner that i wouldn't wrap coils on several type of RDAs unless he got more lighting. wit the space is small/tight, and depending on the gauge of wire needed for the customers gear, it can take for ever, and i refuse to wrap a  -T-coil and send them out the door.

as for the wicks, I used to use a lot of cotton and fill the wells, but now I just make sure that the sides of the well are covered, as any liquid sitting the well will move one direction or the other, and be soaked up by the cotton. I try to leave as much space as possible beneath the coil to allow the airflow to coll it as i vape. it works for me, but i've obviously noticed that everyone has their own wicking preferences, and I've not seen many that didn't work for the users who build them.
Doing the best I can with what I've got, which is an IQ of 82, with 5 points added for spelling my name. Do the math yourself because I can't.

Also, If you're new here, welcome to pretty much the best group of folks you can talk vape with!

Offline Jerry

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2015, 10:54:17 PM »
I was impressed of the micro coil. But in practice to this, this much would be lesser specs in order to be heated by magnifying glass.

Offline Jerry

« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2015, 10:56:07 PM »
Great idea you are in there. It is best that we keep it heated on a magnifying glass.

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently