The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Great link for contacting your congressmen  (Read 3861 times)

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
Great link for contacting your congressmen
« on: April 15, 2013, 10:31:17 AM »
Here is a great link for information on contacting both your federal and state congressmen:

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
Re: Great link for contacting your congressmen
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:47:31 AM »
That's a great link and makes the process much easier. It's not limited to vaping either.   >:(

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »
Thanks Lettie, great link!!!!  Of course, the email addresses assume that politicians can read!  ;D 

In all seriousness, On top of emailing or snail mailing your representatives, you can call them and you will speak with a Constituent Case Worker who will take down the general points of your comments and often your contact information.  Since email has arrived I don't know if they have re-calibrated the calculations, but it used to be that a phone call equaled 7 voters opinion.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 10:06:46 AM »
I've been meaning to add to this thread some thoughts on what you might want to say to your congressmen.    This is edited from the CASAA website.   Of course, if there is a specific legislative bill, you will want to include that information in your letters.

1.  Tell your story on how switching to an e-cigarette has changed your life.

2.  Explain how smoking bans are enacted to protect the public from the harm of secondhand smoke, but e-cigarettes have not been shown to cause harm to bystanders. In fact, all evidence to date shows that the low health risks associated with e-cigarettes is comparable to other smokeless nicotine products.

3.  The low risks of e-cigarettes is supported by research done by Dr. Siegel of Boston University, Dr. Eissenberg of Virginia Commonwealth, Dr Maciej L Goniewicz of the Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Dr. Laugesen of Health New Zealand and by the fact that the FDA testing, in spite of its press statement, failed to find harmful levels of carcinogens or toxic levels of any chemical in the vapor.

4. Detail how electronic cigarette use is easy to distinguish from actual smoking. Although some e-cigarettes resemble real cigarettes, many do not. It is easy to tell when someone lights a cigarette, from the smell of smoke. E-cigarette vapor is practically odorless, and generally any detectable odor is not unpleasant and smells nothing like smoke. Additionally, e-cigarette users can decide whether to release any vapor ("stealth vaping"). 

5. If you currently vape in public, talk about your experience.  Do businesses you frequent allow you to vape?  What about your office?  Be sure to include your address and full name.

6. Inform them that the ability to use electronic cigarettes in public spaces will actually improve public health by inspiring other smokers to switch. Surveys of thousands of users indicate that the majority of those who switch, completely replace tobacco cigarettes with the electronic cigarettes, reducing their health risks by 98-99%.

7. Tell them that by switching to a smokeless product, you have greatly reduced your health risks.

8. Direct them to the CASAA.org website for more information.
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Dannyboy5691

• I didn't do it...ok maybe I did
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 08:58:25 AM »
I've relayed my whole story to CASAA and to my state and local representatives, through email. That link is great Lettie. :)

If you're driving at the speed of light, and you turn your lights on, does anything happen?

Offline BigT

• just trying to make my vaping quest better
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:37:37 PM »
 :]++ :}-], very cool. I called mine and gave them my 2 cents worth
BigT

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently