The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Proper Etiquette For Appearing In front of legislative bodies.  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
Etiquette Tips for Appearing Before a Senate or Assembly Committee

The following I drafted for hand out to SFATA members and business owners at the SB 140 health committee hearing of the CA state senate, but it applies to all city council, County Supervisor, government agency etc. hearings.  I  hope this helps some of you.

You will be appearing before a legislative body that has the fate of our industry in their hands.  While we celebrate your individualism and right to self expression and while your elected representatives claim to do the same, the sad fact is that they do not.  As representatives of the vapor industry, we must present a positive image when appearing in front of this body, regardless of whether you are there to speak to the committee or just to be counted.  The following tips will help us as an industry to present ourselves in a manner that will make the committee take us seriously.

1.   Dress appropriately – Men - suit and tie, slacks, button down and blazer or slacks and button down. Women – suits, or blouses and slacks or conservative skirts.
2.   Proper Decorum – please act with proper decorum in and around the Senate building.  While we are angry, acting in a respectful manner will get us farther than expressing anger by swearing, yelling and the like.
3.   No Vaping – please don’t vape within the confines of the building.
4.   Understand the bill(s) you are addressing – have at least a basic understanding of the bill(s) you are responding to and make sure your comments are pertinent to it.
5.   Keep your remarks within the time allowed – you will only be allowed a few moments (typically two to three) keep your comments within that time duration.
6.   Coordinate your comments with everyone else appearing on your side (consumers and industry participants should coordinate separately but communicate with one another) – you will only have a limited period of time to make your comments, coordinate with your colleagues so that all pertinent points are discussed by our representatives rather than everyone discussing only one or two.  Make sure you focus your comments directly on the issue or point you have agreed to handle.
7.   Don’t speak loudly or act rudely during the proceedings regardless of how angry or bored you may be.  If you are rude or act out in anger, you will likely be removed from the hearing and will make the vaper movement look bad.
8.   If someone from the media approaches you for comment, decline to do so unless you have had media training.

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
Re: Proper Etiquette For Appearing In front of legislative bodies.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 02:29:31 PM »

I like No 8

:o You don’t really think the media would twist things or quote out of context do you  :D

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 02:59:11 PM »
Thanks for posting this mark,  good advice,   is it ok to share this thread on twitter and facebook?

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 06:34:11 PM »
Go right ahead and tweet and FB to your heart's content Caz.  Cy, you have NO idea how  -T- stupid some people are when you a camera or microphone in front of their faces!  :{

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15:35 PM »
Cy, you have NO idea how  -T- stupid some people are when you a camera or microphone in front of their faces!  :{

You're right

Have you ever had a Skype sesh with Mr. B :))
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 11:14:42 PM »
Clearly I have been absent a while, otherwise I would never have given you that shot Dan.  Well played.   :)Y)

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 10:22:12 AM »
Please pin this so it doesn't age off.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently