The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Re: Nextel Sleeving for atomizers  (Read 59670 times)

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
Re: Nextel Sleeving for atomizers
« on: January 22, 2013, 05:24:16 PM »
Just saw this thread so I'm going to comment on questions people posted plus everything else I can think of.

You have to handle the nextel carefully, because it will unravel terribly.  You should fully torch a good length before cutting it.  Let it glow a light red in the flame.  The heat sets the braid.  If you try to cut if before torching, it will totally unravel.  Once torched, cut about 3/4" of an inch to work with.  Soak it in PG (or VG) prior to handling.  Open up one end a bit with a jewelers philips.  Push it onto the SS mesh.  It will open up as you push it down.  The stuff uses a coarse braid so it will expand over the mesh no problem.
The stuff you ordered is the Nextel 312 which is the stuff I'm using.  I've not seen the melting point listed, only the specs for continuous temperature rating and short term temperature rating.  1800C sounds about right.

In any case, the melting point is higher than that of a low blue flame which is about 1500C.  Even when glowed white hot with my torch turned up high, it doesn't melt.  It gets soft at that temperature, but it doesn't melt.  The heat sets the braid so it doesn't unravel.  It does not melt the material. 

Prior to cutting, you need to torch a length a fair amount greater than what you are using.  You don't need anything special.  If you don't have a torch, the burner flame of a gas fired stove will to the job just fine.  You can see in the video I have my torch on a very low setting.

When you torch it, glow a section pale red then move onto the next section until you have a good length covered.   When you make your cuts, they need to be well within the torched section.  It will cut without unravelling once the braid is set with a torch.  You can see that in the video I posted.

Here's a video.  Please forgive how rough it is, I'm not set up for this kind of thing so I did the best I could.  Note, I had already torched a length of Nextel so I just did some more to illustrate how much heat I put on it.

It's best to have extra hanging off the top and bottom after sliding the Nextel piece onto the SS mesh.  Saturate the cut piece of Nextel with PG before handling it.  Open up the front end of the sleeve a bit with a small phillips jewelers scredriver.  Slide it onto the SS mesh.  Cut the excess down with some flush cutters after the wire wrap.   It's actually easier to slide the Nextel piece onto the SS mesh part then install it into the tank.  That way, you can make sure there's some extra hanging off the bottom as well as the top.  That allows you to elimate the frayed part on both ends.  The coil job comes out a lot cleaner that way.  There's actually some preference there, but that's how I do it.
So, consider the length around 3/4" (2cm) for a single use.  A two foot section will provide around 30 coils worth of material.

The reason for the extra length is that the stuff unravels pretty easily even after the braid has been set with a torch.  The excess will allow the unraveled parts on the ends to be cut off after the coil wire has been wrapped.

Do wrap the heating wire tightly.  I stick an unfolded paper clip down the center of the wick when wrapping so I can put some force on the wire.  A loose wire wrap will not perform well.

Prime the wick before vaping on it.  In other words, drip some juice into the top part of the atomizer.  What I do is just overfill the tank a bit to force some juice up into the wick.  Like any silica, it needs to be well saturated to perform well.  Once it's been primed, it wicks fast, remarkably fast actually.

The SS mesh does not need to be treated in any way, but I put a couple small folds at the top and side before rolling it up so the Nextel does not get hung up on any wire threads sticking out.  The mesh part pretty much never wears out.  I clean it with rubbing alcohol when doing a coil job and that's it.

The wick assembly can be dry burned liberally.  Nextel is highly tolerant to heat.  Dry burn at a moderate voltage or power setting.  Getting the heating wire too hot degrades it.  It should not be glowed brighter than a moderate red.  I usually do 4V with the 1.5 Ohm winds I use.

I usually get 4 dry burns off a sleeve before I replace it.   After that, too much carbonized gunk has impregnated into the weaves of the sleeve. 

Okay, that should cover it.  You're in for a treat with this stuff.  It works amazing.

That reminds me, here's my special cleaning procedure for what it's worth.  Some might find it helpful.

Dry burning works much better when the coil and wick is dry and free of juice.

What I do is first flush the tank with water using the syringe.  Basically, I force a few syringes worth of water through the tank so it comes squirting out the wick.  Then I suck all the water out with the syringe.  After that, I do the same thing with 91% rubbing alcohol.  You can get that stuff at the drug store in big bottles for cheap.

Now, I use an air compressor to blow out the tank through the filler hole to dry it instantly, but it should be possible to let it air dry.  Probably just shake it a few times to get as much of the alcohol out as you can. 

Finally, I dry burn it liberally at 4 Volts (I usually vape over 5 Volts).   

I'm usually left with a wick that's mostly white again.  When it stops going back to white and is only brown and black, I replace it.

Lettie22 modified this post again on 2-8 to add the information at the bottom about cleaning the stuff!
Lettie22 modified this post on 2-6-2013 to add the beginning here about torching the nextel!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 09:38:52 AM by Lettie22 »

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
Re: Re: Nextel Sleeving for atomizers
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »
Thanks for the tips on using this stuff Craig  ;)

Lookin forward to gettin my mitts on some of this stuff.

Offline SMonkey

• Dan's Gang Member
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 05:33:22 PM »
Thanks for the tips on using this stuff Craig  ;)

Lookin forward to gettin my mitts on some of this stuff.

+1

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 05:42:20 PM »
So despite having a crap load of tools I do not have a flush cutter. Will a good pair of scissors or a razor blade cut it cleanly enough?

Offline LoQuid

• Look... its SHINEY!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:32:54 PM »
should be.  i use a pair of embroidery scissors to cut my wire and mesh, i dont see why this stuff would be any different.
" style="border:0
Vape on!

LoQ

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:41:21 PM »
Just curious about what these scissors look like.

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 06:43:58 PM »
Flush cutters will work the best, but I suppose you can use whatever.  You can find them cheap on eBay like this.

Offline LoQuid

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »
Just curious about what these scissors look like.

ok darth... ill post up a pic later.
Vape on!

LoQ

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »
well i mean if they work the best i guess i have an excuse to buy another tool ;)

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 07:48:19 AM »
Amazingly I have some of these cutters as I used to make jewelry!   

BTW, I still need Gaffer and Darth's mailing addresses!
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 08:03:38 AM »
here's  darth's  lettie

The Death Star
12345 Darkside Drive
Planet Galaxy

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 08:05:25 AM »
here's  darth's  lettie

The Death Star
12345 Darkside Drive
Planet Galaxy

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

Well he better pay the postage up front, cause I don't think I can afford it if it's going to Planet Galaxy!

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 09:16:14 AM »
Will send it over to ya now Lettie.

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »
I had pmed it to you the other day  I thought you responded to that pm too. Lmk if you need me to resend.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 02:26:43 PM »
I had pmed it to you the other day  I thought you responded to that pm too. Lmk if you need me to resend.

Gaffer, I am so sorry -- I am losing it!   Yes, you sent me a PM AND I responded to you!   I just didn't transfer your address over to my list!

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 09:07:21 PM »
no worries, i totally understand ;)

I also included it on my payment note just to make it easier for you.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 06:06:20 AM »
Hey guys, I did just get the nextel sleeving in and will PMing you UKer's for the money shortly.    I was a little concerned about the size of it when it came in and I wanted to share with you Craig's response to my inquiry -- see below.

Hey guy -- just got the nextel sleeve -- sure seems tiny to put the SS mesh into?   I got what you told me to get -- the XC-116!

The smallest size they sell is the size that's correct (1/16").  It's fine, it expands out pretty easily.  Just open it up with a 2mm philips jewelers screwdriver before sliding over the wick.  It helps hugely to saturate your 3/4" cut piece with PG prior to handling.

Offline SMonkey

• Dan's Gang Member
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 04:50:17 PM »
Hey guys, I did just get the nextel sleeving in and will PMing you UKer's for the money shortly.    I was a little concerned about the size of it when it came in and I wanted to share with you Craig's response to my inquiry -- see below.

Hey guy -- just got the nextel sleeve -- sure seems tiny to put the SS mesh into?   I got what you told me to get -- the XC-116!

The smallest size they sell is the size that's correct (1/16").  It's fine, it expands out pretty easily.  Just open it up with a 2mm philips jewelers screwdriver before sliding over the wick.  It helps hugely to saturate your 3/4" cut piece with PG prior to handling.

Thanks for passing Craig's response

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2013, 05:22:55 PM »

Some of those jewelry tools do come in handy for rebuilding atomizers, flush cutters, beading tweezers, jewelers screwdrivers  to name a few.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 09:05:12 AM »

Some of those jewelry tools do come in handy for rebuilding atomizers, flush cutters, beading tweezers, jewelers screwdrivers  to name a few.

Oh yes and the small pliers too!   

I pretty much went from the jewelry-making hobby to the vaping hobby!     :D

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »
My wife used to do beading work before here eyesight got too poor for it.  Guess where all the tools ended up :)

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2013, 08:48:43 PM »
HURRY UP USPS!!! ;)

I hoped that i was going to get luck and it would show up today.

Offline LoQuid

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2013, 09:11:18 PM »
HURRY UP USPS!!! ;)

breathe mate... you will survive the weekend. contrary to all the myths that surround the mystic Nextel Sleeving... you can vape without it.  :D  for a few days anyway.  ;)
Vape on!

LoQ

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:03 PM »
HURRY UP USPS!!! ;)

??? Now we all know shipoing isn't the quickest in the usa  :P
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline LoQuid

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2013, 09:26:48 PM »
HURRY UP USPS!!! ;)

??? Now we all know shipoing isn't the quickest in the usa  :P

indeed dan. they can take their sweet a$$ time. for some blasted reason it took 2 extra days to get my order from discount vapers. was suppose to be here on the 24th (according to the tracking number), but it was still back east on the 24th and i got it today.
Vape on!

LoQ

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently