The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Tutorial Guides For Adding Pictures  (Read 19856 times)

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
Tutorial Guides For Adding Pictures
« on: November 10, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »
Photo Tutorial

Decided to do an adding photo tutorial as we are often asked the question,  how do I add a photo here?    So heres a brief tutorial of how.

I use the following site as you dont have to register and i find it simple to use -  http://tinypic.com/.   Go to the tinypic site.

1.   At top where it says File,  click on browse and add photo from your computer
2.   Resize -  Click on drop down box and choose  website/email,  this is the one i always use when adding photos
3.   Click on upload now

4.  Type in the security code word
5.  Click on Upload Now

6.  Copy the 2nd code down
7.  Paste the code into your message box on forum
8.  Click on Preview on the right hand side of message box and you will see the photo before you post

Sorry about the quality of the last image, for some reason the text decided to go smaller  ???.

If anyone wants to add any alternative ways of adding photos, please feel free  ;D

« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:46:08 PM by caz »

Offline cath77

• Chief Waffler
Re: How to Add A Photo Tutorial
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »
Is it just me or has photobucket gone weird? Never had a problem with it before but tried to use some pictures on there and couldn't transfer the link :-\

Disclaimer; I know nothing about anything, but sometimes I like to pretend I do......

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
i had that problem,  couldnt even find anything for a code,  then i scrolled over the picture and a little icon came up in the right hand corner,  then i think you had to click on the option get media links,  confused the hell out of me at first,   havent logged into my account for a long time,  it used to annoy me was glad when someone told me about tinypic. 

Offline cath77

• Chief Waffler
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »
I think i'll upload to tinypic and use that then, just tried it again and everytime i try and transfer the code it just says 'copied' but don't know where it's copied to lol ??? :D

Disclaimer; I know nothing about anything, but sometimes I like to pretend I do......

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
you should be able to right click on the message box of the forum and paste  ;)

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »
 Testing out tinypic instead of my usual photobucket.

If these come out at a good size for the forum it is simpler to use than photobucket

;D   OK I am impressed, tinypic from now on  ;D
                                 Nice one caz

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:00:50 PM by CYBORG »
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »
 Tested it out with those two because one is 400x400 pixels and the other is 1417x1002 pixels,
Tinypic did a good job auto resizing the resolution to be forum friendly.

All my pics on photobucket are uploaded at full resolution & some are humongous so Tinypic is a winner for the forum posts   

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 07:58:57 PM by CYBORG »
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 09:00:42 PM »
I have been addicted to tinypic since Caz showed it to me towards the beginning of my time at the Den... in case no one had noticed  :))  however, I did try it on an email and it failed.   ::)

Offline Dom

• Genesis Master
  • Chief Waffler
  • The Den Hobbit
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 08:41:00 PM »
Here is an example of how to upload a picture to The Vapers Den from a picture found on the internet.

I'm looking at this site at the moment so using the picture at the top of the page as our example:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/02/17/natural-selection-2s-lua-based-ide-released-as-open-source-use-it-to-make-your-own-games/

If you right click on the picture and click copy image location:

Come back on here and click the mona lisa portrait image button:

This will give you
Code: [Select]
[img] [/img] in your text. If you paste the image location you just copied from the pcgamer website by right clicking in the middle of the
[img] [/img] and click paste you get:

[img]http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2012/12/Natural-Selection-2-review-thumb-610x239.jpg[/img]
If you then post or preview you will see the picture in your post  :)

Here is a step by step example of how to first upload a picture from your computer/phone harddrive to www.imgur.com (a popular image hosting website) and then how to get the picture you uploaded to imgur to show in a post you make in the den. Also this shows an easy way to resize massive pictures.

First watch this video so you get an idea of how to use imgur:

Go to www.imgur.com and upload your picture by clicking on the Computer button:

Then a window should pop up like in the image below. Browse your harddrive for the image you want and click open.

Then click Start Upload:

You should now have your picture uploaded like the image below. Next you need to click Get embed codes (circled in red on the image below).

Once you click on the embed code link you get an image like below with codes to the right of of your image. Copy and paste the BBcode into your reply and it will show as a picture:

So you should be copying and pasting this into a den reply (ignore the code bit - I need to do that to show up the words rather than the picture):
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pU3WPzW.jpg[/IMG]
And because the BBcode already has the
[img][/img] bits attached you don't need to press the den mona lisa portrait button (shown in the earlier copy a picture from the internet part of my tutorial) to put those bits in. (You would if you were getting an image from somewhere that doesn't supply the BBcode).

Here is your final picture:

Intentionally I have left this how it is (very,very big) because in order to get it to a more normal size you need to select a different image size by clicking large thumbnail in imgur before copying and pasting the BBcode into your den reply:

and what you copied and pasted into your reply should look like this:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/pU3WPzWl.jpg[/IMG]
and then the final picture will turn out like this below (check the picture shows up by previewing your post before clicking post to make sure the image shows up in what you want to post). Then finally click Post to post your message with a picture embedded.  :)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 09:36:47 PM by @tak_2 »

Offline Dom

• Genesis Master
  • Chief Waffler
  • The Den Hobbit
How to add a link to a website in your post
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »
Here is the quick way to add a website link in your post.

Copy and paste the website address you want to show in your post (for this example I'm using the pcgamer website www.pcgamer.com/uk):

Then click the world hyperlink button:

Code like this will show up in your post (ignore the grey code box and the word code - I have to do this to get the code to show up):
[url][/url]
Copy and paste the website address in the middle of the
[url][/url] bits so you get this:

[url]http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/[/url]
If you then Preview your post or click Post you should see that you can click on the website address now  :) and end up with this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/

Here is a more advanced way of getting a website in your post where clicking on a word takes you to the website

Instead of using the way above if you type out this code manually (rather than using the world hyperlink button):
[url=INSERT WEBSITE ADDRESS HERE][u]WORD YOU WANT HERE[/u][/url]
so using my pcgamer website example the code would look like this:
[url=www.pcgamer.com/uk][u]PC Gamer[/u][/url]
Please note you do not need these bits:
[u][/u]but they underline the word PC Gamer making it easier for people to realise the word can be clicked on taking them to a website.  :)

The end result will look like this and clicking on it will take you to the PC Gamer website:
PC Gamer

You can also use a picture to take you to a website by clicking on it rather than a word by using code like this:

[url=INSERT WEBSITE ADDRESS HERE][img]INSERT IMAGE LOCATION HERE[/img][/url]
so using my pc gamer website example and a picture of the pc gamer logo I found on wikipedia (copying and pasting the image location by right clicking on the picture and clicking Copy image location) we get code that looks like this:
[url=www.pcgamer.com/uk][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3e/PC_Gamer_logo.jpg/800px-PC_Gamer_logo.jpg[/img][/url]
Then by clicking Preview or Post the code should show up in your post as a clickable picture that takes you to a website like this:

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 12:38:34 PM by @tak_2 »

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
Re: Tutorial Guides to Forum Use
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »
BTW, Photobucket.com has fixed the problems cited above. I use it as my main online storage for forum pictures. They do require registration (unlike Tinypic), but they don't require typing in a security code each time. There are many other sites of this sort.

When using the "MonaLisa" button (or just typing in the IMG tags manually, which I frequently do) be sure you are using the URL of the picture itself, not the URL of a web page that it is on. One easy way to be sure is to check: does the URL end with ".jpg" (or possibly .png )? If it ends with .html, .htm or .php, then you probably have the URL of a web page. Sometimes you can right-click on the image and select "open image in a new tab (or window)". The new tab (or window) will have the image URL by itself.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline VapeAddict

• Vaping Guru
  • Still Vaping - Still Breathing
Re: Tutorial Guides to Forum Use
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
Has anyone else had any problems with tinypic with regards to copying the code?

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
Re: Tutorial Guides For Adding Pictures
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 07:00:57 AM »
Please forgive my ignorance.  I am not exactly computer savy - as a matter of fact I do not have a computer.  I use an iPad 2,  with wifi which I can save all kinds of images to came roll.  Then you can enhance or crop but I do not see how to lower resolution.  Will this tinypic work for me?  K
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

James Allen

Offline KJR4413

• Demon Vaper
  • Vaping Guru
  • Demon on Wheels
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014, 10:03:45 AM »
Kate, I use tinypic all the time with photos from my iPhone.  The only problem I've had is that the pictures end up sideways or upside down if they're not taken the right way to begin with.

The photos I take for posting here must be in landscape format, with the iPhone's home button on the right.
Keep yer stick on the ice! -- Red Green

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2014, 10:58:51 AM »

Kate, I use tinypic all the time with photos from my iPhone.  The only problem I've had is that the pictures end up sideways or upside down if they're not taken the right way to begin with.

The photos I take for posting here must be in landscape format, with the iPhone's home button on the right.

Ok, KJR many thanks. Will download and give it a try (nothing ventured, right).  I was searching App Store for something resembling this but did not find.  I know when I send pics to my brother, he has to adjust the resolution once he opens them as they are way too big.  :(. K

James Allen

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2014, 11:07:04 AM »
kate you can resize  the pictures on  tinypic    on the drop down menu  for resize,   i chose the website/email  size 320 x 240.

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2014, 11:32:19 AM »

kate you can resize  the pictures on  tinypic    on the drop down menu  for resize,   i chose the website/email  size 320 x 240.

Sounds great.  So I just download this tinypic to my iPad? 

James Allen

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »
http://tinypic.com/

you dont have to download anything or register  just   click on that link and follow the tutorial on the first post of this thread. 

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2014, 11:54:44 AM »
Ok will give it a try.  After I do my first ecig shop tomorrow, wanted to be able to show the forum.  K. :)

James Allen

Offline miknoypinoy

• Vapeologist
Tutorial Guides For Adding Pictures
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2014, 11:59:23 AM »
You should be able to post a pic through tapatalk Kate.  (I think your on tapa.  Saw a post of yours in the tapatalk thread. I do it all the time on my iPhone/ipad.   
When you reply or make a thread there are 4 icons above the keyboard    Use the squares with the mountains and sun

By the way, your post in the tune association thread I didn't quite get the correlation.  You might have been on an earlier page when you posted.  Or I'm just thick.
Mike

I'm not afraid. . . You will be. . . You will be. . .

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2014, 07:13:31 PM »
Ok I think I see.  Will try when I get home.  Thanks.  Tune thread - not sure where I was, been reading and posting here and there not sure how to get back.  Still feeling my way around.  Will try to find.  :)). K

James Allen

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2014, 07:31:36 PM »
I think I said the song titled Daniel by Elton John as my favorite,  k

James Allen

Offline miknoypinoy

• Vapeologist
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 03:00:33 AM »
no problem Kate. 

you pick a song that has something in common with the previous post.

you posted daniel - Elton John

I'd post
daughters - JOHN Meyer
(John being the association)

after me someone would post
don't call me DAUGHTER - pearl jam.

so on and so forth.  you'll get it.  jump in anytime.

hope you get your picture posting worked out.

Mike

I'm not afraid. . . You will be. . . You will be. . .

Offline eandrews53

• The only easy day was yesterday 1974 ~ 1980
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2014, 04:02:47 AM »
HOT DAMN ! ! That worked great. You've created a monster now. Thanks.....

Offline socrates

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2015, 04:39:39 PM »

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal