The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Cobra rebuildable atomizer  (Read 53483 times)

Offline daredevil

• Vapeologist
  • Why so serious........
Re: Cobra rebuildable atomizer
« Reply #100 on: September 28, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
I'm gonna order some Craig as it's supposed to be great for genesis style atty's riptripper on youtube is using A1 28gauge Kanthal so i'll get some of that and give it a whirl in my DID he has tried a few different wraps and if i remember i think its an 8/9 wrap i'll post my results as soon as i get some and try it for a couple of days
this is who i use for wick n wire very cheap and lots of it 50m of .20 kanthal for 7.80 http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/www.zivipf.de.vu/m.html?hash=item337bb6a223&item=221118898723&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&rt=nc&_trksid=p4340.l2562
only use kanthal and hes not the cheapest cheers karl
nice one Karl have you not tried this place 136 metres for arond 12
http://www.wires.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ewires%2eco%2euk%2fcgi%2dbin%2fsh000001%2epl%3fREFPAGE%3dhttp%253a%252f%252fwww%252ewires%252eco%252euk%252fcgi%252dbin%252fsh000001%252epl%253fREFPAGE%253dhttps%25253a%25252f%25252fwww%25252ewires%25252eco%25252euk%25252fcgi%25252dbin%25252fos000001%25252epl%2526WD%253dmesh%2526PN%253dss_fabric%25252ehtml%252523aSS_2dCL00300400%26WD%3dkanthal%2520wire%26PN%3de%252dcig_iatty_atomizer_wire%252ehtml%2523aKLA_2d0150_2d010&WD=swg%20kanthal%2028%20wire&PN=nc_bare%2ehtml%23aNC0375_2d125#aNC0375_2d125
My mistake Karl forgot that they sell nichrome sorry pal i'll order Kanthal instead

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #101 on: September 28, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »
Cheers craig i'll use my provari for that or my papa r

Probably the Papa R.  The Pro-Vari doesn't go above 15 Watts, does it?  You'll want at least 20 Watts, but I don't know with the SS, might need less.  That's how it is with a silica wick anyway.

Offline daredevil

• Vapeologist
  • Why so serious........
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
Riptripper is using a provari with an 8/7 wrap so thats what i will have to do i dont know what amp limit is on my papa r it's 3.5 on the provari
see what you think
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2NoCua4kD8&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOGO0eQ-t1s&feature=relmfu
let me know Craig thanks

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #103 on: September 28, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
Hmm, that would be 21 Watts for the Pro-Vari, 6V and 3.5A.  Didn't know it was that high, thought it was 15W.  You sure about that?  Current specifications are misleading because they can vary quite a bit depending on voltage setting.

The Papa R can probably do 36 Watts, 6V and 6 Amps.

In any case, I didn't watch the video, but if that's what works for the guy, that's what works.  I'm using nichrome 60 which has lower resistance and that's with a silica wick, makes a big difference.  Like I said, using Kanthal A1 in 28 AWG is like using 30 AWG nichrome 60.  I can do a 1.5 Ohm coil with 30 ga nichrome that works well around 15 Watts.  28 ga nichrome needs 20 Watts minimum.

Offline daredevil

• Vapeologist
  • Why so serious........
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »
Yeah the provari v2 has an improved 3.5amp limit the old one was 2.5 amp limit checked on provape thanks for the advice craig i'll order some and give it a try on my DID

Offline Clarkjs21

« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »
The provari also has protections that prevent you from overpowering a coil based on its ohms. For example my 2.1Ohm coil in my Zap throws E1 error at 6V

Offline daredevil

• Vapeologist
  • Why so serious........
« Reply #106 on: September 29, 2012, 01:15:26 AM »
The provari also has protections that prevent you from overpowering a coil based on its ohms. For example my 2.1Ohm coil in my Zap throws E1 error at 6V
Thanks clarkey i forgot to mention to craig about that too they are one heck of a device imo always imitated never duplicated  8)

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #107 on: September 29, 2012, 05:29:23 PM »
That's actually not to protect the coil.  It's to keep the electronics from overloading.  The ability of a device to run higher voltages with lower resistances is a big deal in terms of design.  There's a big difference in electronics between a device that can run an atomizer as low as say 1.5 Ohms at 6V and a device that can't go below 2.5 Ohms at 6V.

Offline Clarkjs21

« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2012, 02:15:59 PM »
I knew that electronics wise it was a big deal being able to run LR coils at high volts but just saw somewhere that it said it was to protect the coil. Thanks for clearing that up for me Craig. Im guessing that the powerblock is designed to run LR coils at higher Ohms? Not sure that Ive had a coil/device setup that I care for high Voltage vaping but Im curious to give it a try.

Maybe you can add a little bit of 28g wire in with it when you ship it to me? Id hate to have to explain buying some to the missus at this point just to "try it out"

Shes not pleased with this obesession ... er hobby of mine at this point ... lol

I will say that a genesis atty setup well is an amazing thing. I took the top cap off of my ZAP just now and blew air across the coil gently while firing and filled my living room with the smell of the MEL cherry lemonade Im vaping ... was like a fog machine in here

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #109 on: September 30, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »
Yes, the Powerblok is designed to run low resistance atties at higher voltages.  That's its primary feature.  It can run a 1.2 Ohm atomizer at 6 Volts.  I've done it a few times vaping, hundreds of times for extended periods in testing.  You'd get a good laugh if you saw the rig I use to load it like that for testing (it's a big ass coil of 16 AWG nichrome).

Not many mods can put out 5 Amps at 6 Volts.  There's a handful of low production mods like the Papa R that can put out that much power.  The Vmax is the only Chinese VV I've seen that can do it, but I don't know for sure on that.  It gives a 5 Amp spec, but I don't know if that's at 6V or not.  My guess would be not, the Chinese love to inflate specs.

Running with such high outputs is not something most people would do, but if you're building your own coils, it's pretty easy to make ones that need a lot of power to wake up.  I've been running at 17 Watts mostly myself (1.8 Ohms, 5.6V), sometimes run up to 20 Watts (1.8 Ohms, 6V).  The ones that need upwards of 20 Watts I don't routinely use, but I've experimented with them.

I have a couple rolls of 30 AWG and 28 AWG nichrome, I bought way more than I will ever use.  I mainly use the 32 AWG.  I'll throw some of the heavy stuff in with your package.  It *is* fun to play with those monster coils.

Offline Clarkjs21

« Reply #110 on: September 30, 2012, 04:02:01 PM »
I cant even imagine a 16awg coil ... thats got to be insane ... I guess Ill have to get a rebuildable dripper or two to play with those coils on. Now Im excited for my powerblock all over again ... lol

So how are you getting on with your cobra Dan?

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #111 on: October 04, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Ok, my first 2 wicks worked perfectly....my 3rd isn't getting wet ....any advice gratefully taken.....i put a paper clip down and it pokes out the bottom, the coils are not wrapped tightly.....been demoted to my nova's again until I can get this issue sorted :(
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline SMonkey

• Dan's Gang Member
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
Ok, my first 2 wicks worked perfectly....my 3rd isn't getting wet ....any advice gratefully taken.....i put a paper clip down and it pokes out the bottom, the coils are not wrapped tightly.....been demoted to my nova's again until I can get this issue sorted :(

Tip it up in the air mate
Use gravity  :D

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »

I left it on its side all night....there's no gravity happening here today :(
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline SMonkey

• Dan's Gang Member
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2012, 03:51:15 PM »

Maybe a stupid question but
Did you leave the screw out of the filling hole?

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2012, 03:53:09 PM »

no, I tried that the first time, but if I left it on its side during a session then it would leak out :(
its just not caterpillering up the SS and I have no clue as to why.  :-\
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline karl6k

« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2012, 04:45:05 PM »

no, I tried that the first time, but if I left it on its side during a session then it would leak out :(
its just not caterpillering up the SS and I have no clue as to why.  :-\
open up your mesh and reroll it with a bit of 2mm silica wick realy brings the juice up,also make sure mesh isnt too tight in hole so theres room for airflow so no vacum created,works for me,but still trial n error.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2012, 04:52:36 PM »
open up your mesh and reroll it with a bit of 2mm silica wick realy brings the juice up,also make sure mesh isnt too tight in hole so theres room for airflow so no vacum created,works for me,but still trial n error.
Thanks karl, was thinking about doing it with some silica too....gonna wait til sunday so will just use the nova's until then
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline karl6k

« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2012, 05:24:37 PM »
Thanks karl, was thinking about doing it with some silica too....gonna wait til sunday so will just use the nova's until then
could also use the original petar k method as seen here http://www.vaporwall.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1838much better than peoples videos copying his method ,this is his original thread with pictures and works very well even with vg and he uses a lot less mesh than we normaly use.

Offline SMonkey

• Dan's Gang Member
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #119 on: October 07, 2012, 01:01:18 PM »
could also use the original petar k method as seen here http://www.vaporwall.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1838much better than peoples videos copying his method ,this is his original thread with pictures and works very well even with vg and he uses a lot less mesh than we normaly use.

Thanks Karl I'm going to try that one later mate  ;D

Offline karl6k

Offline daredevil

• Vapeologist
  • Why so serious........
« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2012, 06:26:14 PM »
takin the piss https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.439500522763452.99361.158731334173707&type=1
Saw this today Karl how naughty are they that they dont even change the names of them it's bad shit that  >:(

Offline karl6k

« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2012, 08:48:10 AM »
takin the piss https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.439500522763452.99361.158731334173707&type=1
Saw this today Karl how naughty are they that they dont even change the names of them it's bad shit that  >:(
shamefull i know and looks shit .on the other hand this looks good for 35 delivered http://www.vapor-freak.de/zubehoer/Selbstwickelverdampfer/Arashi

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently