The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Major screw up!  (Read 82 times)

Offline MaineVaper

• I smell like vape. You do too.
Major screw up!
« on: April 01, 2021, 01:09:14 AM »
I normally mix my own juice but I bought what I thought was my usual 48 mg bottle of nic and it turned out to be 250 mg and I mixed it, not noticing. So now I have to dilute it. I'll have plenty of vape juice! 5 liters when I'm done, yikes!
Former cigar and pipe smoker. Using Kayfun Prime clone with Eleaf iStick Pico 100W mod. Usually at about 10-12 watts.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
Re: Major screw up!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2021, 03:05:51 AM »
Be glad you got so much nic base. It is now illegal on the federal level for retailers to ship nicotine containing juices (and possibly vaping juices even without nicotine) via US Mail. I believe that UPS and FedEx have also stopped transporting vaping juices.

Keep that nic base cold so it doesn't deteriorate over time. The best way may be to freeze it.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2021, 09:44:18 AM »
I normally mix my own juice but I bought what I thought was my usual 48 mg bottle of nic and it turned out to be 250 mg and I mixed it, not noticing. So now I have to dilute it. I'll have plenty of vape juice! 5 liters when I'm done, yikes!
Are you sure? 250 mg/ml is 25% nicotine. I've never seen nicotine base higher than 10% and you can't mix a final level higher than the base stock.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2021, 05:56:04 AM »
I have seen the base available, including pure nicotine (1000 mg/ml). However, the company does not sell to consumers - only commercial accounts. I suspect there are additional restrictions on the type of business as well.
I forget the name of the company - they were my source for my stock of 100 mg/ml base.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline MaineVaper

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2021, 11:12:36 PM »
It says 250 mg/ml on the bottle.
Former cigar and pipe smoker. Using Kayfun Prime clone with Eleaf iStick Pico 100W mod. Usually at about 10-12 watts.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2021, 07:07:42 AM »
I stand corrected. Since I was unaware of 25% availability, I assumed (you know what they say) that it might have been one of the very common misunderstandings about ml and mg/ml.

You definitely do have to dilute, as well as take extra precautions about skin contact and keeping it away from pets, children, and unprepared adults. I'd get an MSDS for that concentration and keep a copy with all supplies.

EDIT: On the (huge) plus side, if you don't dilute more than you need at any time, the concentrate will take up a LOT less freezer space. My collection of 5% and 10% base takes up 3/4 of our family freezer space in its lockbox. I'd sure like to pare that down to the equivalent amount of 25% base in a smaller lockbox. (You can imagine how much my wife would like that.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 07:15:58 AM by pwmeek »
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.

Offline MaineVaper

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 04:50:45 PM »
I have it in the refrigerator. Should I freeze it? I had previously diluted it to two bottles so each is now 125 mg/ml. I have some vegetable glycerin coming soon. I think since I have so much, I'll experiment with flavors. I've been using Latakia flavor for a few years now until I got some 2bacco Red from a B&M shop. When I smoked a pipe I smoked pure Latakia tobacco, very expensive.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:22:48 AM »
I freeze mine, but there are people I respect that say refrigeration is enough. Protection from light and air is probably more important.

Limit how often you open containers by only diluting to final vaping strength enough to get you through a few months. That way only the small amount of diluted base gets exposed to air repeatedly; the main supply stays rarely exposed.

All nic base will darken with age - faster with light and air exposure. Pale to amber to brown. This affects neither taste nor strength.

One downside to keeping it in the refrigerator is that it is accessible to more people. Keep it in a lockable box and enclose a MSDS in the box; this is especially important with such high strength nic base. Label all bottles with content and strength. (Life is uncertain; you may not be the next person who has to deal with your supply of nic base.)

Before experimenting with flavors, I would try experimenting flavorless (to avoid distraction) with nic strength and PG/VG ratio. High-strength base is good, as it lets you reach many combinations of PG/VG at different strengths. Mix 5-10 ml of a combination and use it until it is gone (or abandoned as unusable). (I ended up at 65 mg/ml nicotine in a 68/32 PG/VG carrier.)

Back in the bad old days (1960s), I smoked a 50/50 blend of Latakia and Perique for a while. Tobacco flavors were one of the first flavors I gave up on when I began vaping nearly 10 years ago. (I eventually gave up on all flavors, and now vape just for the nicotine.)

Offline MaineVaper

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 10:42:12 PM »
I freeze mine, but there are people I respect that say refrigeration is enough. Protection from light and air is probably more important.

Limit how often you open containers by only diluting to final vaping strength enough to get you through a few months. That way only the small amount of diluted base gets exposed to air repeatedly; the main supply stays rarely exposed.

All nic base will darken with age - faster with light and air exposure. Pale to amber to brown. This affects neither taste nor strength.

One downside to keeping it in the refrigerator is that it is accessible to more people. Keep it in a lockable box and enclose a MSDS in the box; this is especially important with such high strength nic base. Label all bottles with content and strength. (Life is uncertain; you may not be the next person who has to deal with your supply of nic base.)

Before experimenting with flavors, I would try experimenting flavorless (to avoid distraction) with nic strength and PG/VG ratio. High-strength base is good, as it lets you reach many combinations of PG/VG at different strengths. Mix 5-10 ml of a combination and use it until it is gone (or abandoned as unusable). (I ended up at 65 mg/ml nicotine in a 68/32 PG/VG carrier.)

Back in the bad old days (1960s), I smoked a 50/50 blend of Latakia and Perique for a while. Tobacco flavors were one of the first flavors I gave up on when I began vaping nearly 10 years ago. (I eventually gave up on all flavors, and now vape just for the nicotine.)
I have it labeled. No one is here but me. I have several flavors that I got in promos. Full size bottles, but I'm going to buy at least one more bottle of the 2bacco Red from the B&M shop. Then try cloning it. It should be easy. I have an unopened bottle of Latakia flavor also.

I used to smoke a pound and a half a month of pure Latakia. I can't quite remember the name of the place but it was in N.C. and it came compressed into a brick. They sold top quality tobacco only. Expensive. Never tried Perique.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2021, 11:09:34 AM »
<snip>
I used to smoke a pound and a half a month of pure Latakia. I can't quite remember the name of the place but it was in N.C. and it came compressed into a brick. They sold top quality tobacco only. Expensive. Never tried Perique.
LOL - My roommates used to say that Latakia was smoked over burning camel dung. (It isn't; it's smoked over aromatic woods and herbs.) A French company makes a perfume called Turkish Smoke that is supposed to imitate the smell of Latakia.

Perique is moist and aromatic. It is produced by anaerobic fermentation under pressure in barrels. Fruity aromas with a hint of tartness. Like Latakia, it is considered too strong by itself and is usually used as a blending tobacco. Only produced by a few families in one location (Louisiana). Hard to find. It needs to be protected from air until it is used.

As far as I can tell, the better a pipe tobacco tastes, the more offensive it is to bystanders. The better it smells to bystanders, the worse it tastes. (I offer the various cherry flavored pipe tobaccos and cherry flavored cigars as proof.)

Offline MaineVaper

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 10:27:53 PM »
For me, Latakia is too good to be mixed, but I know that's supposed to be what it's for. I have a vape flavor that tastes exactly like the real thing. It's FlavourArt Latakia sold by River Supply Co. (formerly Nicotine River). They still have it. Good stuff.

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently