The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Can I use this charger??  (Read 367 times)

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
Can I use this charger??
« on: May 29, 2018, 11:55:58 AM »
Hi. Received the istick QC 200w mod with built in battery. It says it has a 1.5amp quick charge. I have a 2amp charger. Will the mod only draw the amps needed or will it take the full 2amps of the charger and possibly do damage. Can I use this charger??

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
Re: Can I use this charger??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 12:55:18 PM »
Most things only draw the power required but not all, some have a maximum power input that is usually labelled as such  so its a difficult one.
Lets face it most people never consider the output of a USB port they simply plug in phones or whatever to any available outlet.
I know thatís not a lot of help, no help at all really.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 01:23:17 PM »
I did use the same charger with the last mod(same model) I had but I might have just got lucky. The mod did get very warm, not hot. When I used the 1A charger it never got warm but obviously took much longer to charge. Its only a beater mod for work, so not expecting it to last forever.... Just don't want to burn my house down!!!

Online Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 05:56:23 PM »
I would stick with the 1a charger.

I don't like it when my devices get hot on charge..... there is only so much of that heat a battery will put up with.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Yeah, think I'll stick with the 1A charger. Cheers guys.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 10:17:22 PM »
I'd be comfortable with the 2 Amp charger. I routinely hook my iStick TC40Ws (and my iStick 20s before that) to a 2.6 Amp charger and (according to my pass-through Ammeter) they only draw a bit under 1 Amp. The iSticks can evidently regulate their rate of charge from a heavy-duty charger just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1     ($10)

This is the one I use. Actually I use six of them on a six output, 2.6 Amp per output charger, so I have a bank of charging ports available with different charging cables on each. Being able to see what each device is drawing lets me be ready to "pull the plug" on any device that looks like misbehaving. (So far only one device - I forget what it was, but I tossed it immediately - has misbehaved. I'm not even sure it was vaping-related.)

In fact, if your mod wants to draw 1.5 Amps and the charger can only deliver 1 Amp, it might be over-straining the charger (not good). Again, this is what the pass-through Ammeters are good for - telling you what is actually going on. Of course, it may well be that your iStick can get along on 1 Amp just fine and maybe it would be better for battery life to charge the battery at the slower rate.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 05:44:50 AM »
I got myself a pass-through ammeter after reading one of your posts Pete.
I only have devices with removable battery's & always take them out to charge.
I wanted to make sure my phone regulated the power it draws so I would know if it was safe to charge anywhere.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 07:10:19 AM »
I'd be comfortable with the 2 Amp charger. I routinely hook my iStick TC40Ws (and my iStick 20s before that) to a 2.6 Amp charger and (according to my pass-through Ammeter) they only draw a bit under 1 Amp. The iSticks can evidently regulate their rate of charge from a heavy-duty charger just fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1     ($10)

This is the one I use. Actually I use six of them on a six output, 2.6 Amp per output charger, so I have a bank of charging ports available with different charging cables on each. Being able to see what each device is drawing lets me be ready to "pull the plug" on any device that looks like misbehaving. (So far only one device - I forget what it was, but I tossed it immediately - has misbehaved. I'm not even sure it was vaping-related.)

In fact, if your mod wants to draw 1.5 Amps and the charger can only deliver 1 Amp, it might be over-straining the charger (not good). Again, this is what the pass-through Ammeters are good for - telling you what is actually going on. Of course, it may well be that your iStick can get along on 1 Amp just fine and maybe it would be better for battery life to charge the battery at the slower rate.

Yes, a lower charge current will result in longer battery life - although there may not be much differece between charging an 18650 at 0.5 amps and 1.0 amps. 

There seem to be at least 3 brand names for the identical product - or maybe similar products made to look like the original.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently