The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Beginners advice  (Read 693 times)

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
Beginners advice
« on: March 24, 2018, 06:18:28 PM »
Hi Guys,

It's been a long time, hope you're all well.

I've been vaping with the iStick pico 75W for ages now and I'm thinking about getting into the RTA scene.

Any advice on good mods/Rta's/wire, the whole thing really, I'm a complete newbie to all of it.

Thanks in advance,

Jeddy

Vaping Like A Train Since 1st August 2011
Money Saved: None   Cigs Avoided: Loads

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
Re: Beginners advice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 08:03:39 PM »
I also have a Pico and it has served me well.
My favorite RTA is the Kayfun Prime followed be the Wotofo Serpent Mini.
As a general rule I build everything at 1.8Ω using 28g Kanthal as I am a mouth to lung vaper.
There are some good coiling guides that calculate the number of wraps round a given size mandrel for a given wire,
this is a good one http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html but you could find this one easier at first http://coiltoy.ermeso.com/
Could be a good idea to look at some coiling tutorials to at least get the general idea.
Hope this helps   
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Always be honest and tell the truth.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 11:44:34 PM »
Hi!  Welcome back Jeddy 3!!!

Over the past year or so, I've moved from the pre-coiled Nautilus' to the tanks that Cyborg mentioned.  Those are some GREAT RTA's!  I mainly use a Vandy Vape Beserker MTL now.  Since my hands shake, I buy pre-made coils.  Just remember, there is always another option when you're doing RTA's!!!   :)Y) :)Y) :)Y)
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 04:17:07 AM »
Hey Jeddy. What style of vaping are you into??. What ohms do you like??. Do you use regular round wire or exotic coils like claptons??. I use RTA's/RDTA's almost exclusively. For a mod, do you want something small or try something slightly bigger like a dual or triple battery mod??

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 07:35:08 PM »
I second the Kayfun Prime .... the best of them yet. I use the Chinese clone SXK version of it. Just can beat a Kayfun for clean full flavor... throat hit is great too.

Welcome back Jeddy.... I didn't have a chance to post the other night.... been busy swapping out a engine on my sisters generator so have been a little preoccupied.  :{ Sorry about that.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 08:47:38 AM »
Hi Jeddy  x:)x x:)x   you can buy premade coils from fasttech if you dont want to build your own. 

Great to see ya,  stick around a while 

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 05:17:17 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.

Ian, I'm a bit of a flavour-hound, not so bothered about plumes of vape.

I know nothing about the different wires used for coils, but I do know that I vape at 35W on my iStick pico. I currentlu use 0.5 coils.

Jeddy

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 07:57:52 PM »
Thanks for the quick responses.

Ian, I'm a bit of a flavour-hound, not so bothered about plumes of vape.

I know nothing about the different wires used for coils, but I do know that I vape at 35W on my iStick pico. I currentlu use 0.5 coils.

Jeddy

I can't argue with what Cy said, the Kayfun is a great tank. I have been using the Geekvape Ammit 25mm single coil tank. I run a.34ohm Ni80 Clapton coil @44watts. Imo, it is a flavour beast. You could run this tank on your current mod. It is a breeze to coil but wicking, like other RTA's,  can take a few tries to get right but it is so worth it. I have 4 of these tanks and imo, it is the best single coil rta. Here is a review for the Ammit and a link for the premade coils I use. Ignore the clouds he is blowing in this review, it is definitely more of a flavour tank than a cloud tank. It is a direct lung tank NOT an MTL tank.
Coils: https://www.fasttech.com/products/3033/10050486/9640535

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
Hey Ian,

Great info, I may well give that a try  :)

Jed

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently