The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Latakia!  (Read 383 times)

Offline MaineVaper

• I smell like vape. You do too.
Latakia!
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:02:53 PM »
When I was a pipe smoker I smoked pure Latakia. I always bought the compressed 1 lb. "bricks" from Cornell and Diehl. Most mix it with other tobaccos but I liked it straight. Recently I went looking for Latakia flavoring and found it where I normally buy my flavorings, Nicotine River. I got some, and had no idea how much to use so I took a 50 ml bottle and poured not quite a quarter inch into it, filled it up with 100% VG base and let it steep for a week. I just tried it today and it's quite good (if you like Latakia). It doesn't taste exactly like the real thing, but close enough. The amount I used is likely to be too much for most people and I'll probably use a tiny bit less next time but it's not bad as it is.  :]=]
Former cigar and pipe smoker. Using Kayfun Prime clone with Wismec Presa TC100W mod. Efest 26650 power inside.

Offline MaineVaper

• I smell like vape. You do too.
Re: Latakia!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 04:13:26 AM »
After vaping this for a while, I like it so well that it's going to be my daily vape.  :)+1
Former cigar and pipe smoker. Using Kayfun Prime clone with Wismec Presa TC100W mod. Efest 26650 power inside.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »
When I was young (college age at any rate) I experimented with smoking pipes, hoping it would make me suave and urbane. I soon discovered that how a tobacco tasted was more or less inversely proportional to how it smelled to other people. Latakia was considered about the most "stinky" (externally) of all tobaccos with one exception: Perique. The pipe tobaccos that bystanders liked best (assuming they would put up with it at all; most did - it was the '60s) were usually the fruit-flavored (or other aromatic) ones - Cherry Blend and the like. Naturally I drifted towards the stinky ones and eventually settled on a 50/50 blend of pure Latakia and Perique tobaccos. (These are both usually considered blending tobaccos; they are used as "spices" or flavorings added to milder tobaccos, generally in amounts of just a few percent.)

Needless to say, this nicotine-fiend inhaled the pipe smoke (and held it to get every last bit of available nicotine). I was not a very popular neighbor or roommate because of this. Friends used to joke that Latakia was smoked over camel dung, which is silly because there are fairly few camels (Dromedaries, at least; there may be some Bactrian camels) in Northern Syria where Latakia was developed and formerly produced (now most is produced in Cyprus). Actually, after a period of sun-drying it is smoked over wood and herb fires. (Perique is pressed into barrels and allowed to ferment anaerobically. Both smell terrible to non-smoking bystanders.)

Latakia is used in small amounts in Camel cigarettes (which have a Dromedary on the label, thus "fueling" the myth) along with Turkish-type (sun-dried, rather than shed-cured) tobaccos - at least that's the theory; who knows what they actually put in those things?

Unfortunately, I no longer like the smell of tobacco flavors (or any flavors, for that matter) in my e-juice, so it's all theoretical to me now.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 08:04:53 PM »
I remember buying tobacco for my dad at the mall for a birthday present when I was a kid.... no ID required at the age of 8... LOL

I remember buying him cherry and apple varieties.

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently