The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Stanton Glantz is going down  (Read 55 times)

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
Stanton Glantz is going down
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:49 PM »
For those of you who follow the advocacy wars, one of our biggest enemies just got sued for sexual harassment and for stealing a colleague's work and taking credit for it.   :]=] :]=] :]=]

https://www.buzzfeed.com/stephaniemlee/stanton-glantz-sexual-harassment-lawsuit?utm_term=.gvbLDzyxG#.xi0ovYdjb

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
Re: Stanton Glantz is going down
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:43:14 PM »
It would be nice if it happened.

Unfortunately, Glantz is good at obtaining huge grants from various governmental agencies - often to perform rather trivial research. It is highly unlikely that the university will do much of anything.

I suspect that what will happen is that the woman may get some financial award, probably contingent on her resigning from the university. Glantz may receive a slap on the wrist, but not be impeded in any other way - so he will be free to continue distorting and lying about the results of his studies, just as he has in the past. 

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 11:39:50 AM »
It would be nice if it happened.

Unfortunately, Glantz is good at obtaining huge grants from various governmental agencies - often to perform rather trivial research. It is highly unlikely that the university will do much of anything.

I suspect that what will happen is that the woman may get some financial award, probably contingent on her resigning from the university. Glantz may receive a slap on the wrist, but not be impeded in any other way - so he will be free to continue distorting and lying about the results of his studies, just as he has in the past.

I would have agreed with you six months ago, however, in today's current anti-harassment environment, particularly with there being far more money on the line if the University fails to act almost perfectly in this matter, Glantz is likely to be the one resigning.  If Al Franken and Matt Lauer are going down, Glantz certainly does not have their influence and the UC system has deep pockets and is definitely in the target sites of a good attorney.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 02:58:08 AM »
We can hope.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler