The Vapers Den

Author Topic: DIY Atty Stand  (Read 89 times)

Online Ian

• Vaping Guru
DIY Atty Stand
« on: November 14, 2017, 07:44:01 AM »
Hey guys. I was thinking of building an atomizer stand. I have tanks and drippers laying around everywhere and want somewhere I can store them all.
Now for those of you who know me, know my diy skills are basic at best. I could get me brother to do most of the work for me, he owes me tons of favours!!. I was thinking of just something simple, just using regular timber and a few nuts to hold the attys. I'm thinking some straight timber, cut to size and stepped. I was going to drill some holes for the nuts, which will be glued to some thin metal washers. The washers will be glued over the holes, with the nuts glued to the underneath of the washers. I don't mind the washers being slightly raised, like they would be on a Fat Daddy 510 connection. I will fill any gaps with wood filler, sand it and either paint it black or stain/varnish it.
Can i use just regular superglue to glue the nut to the washer??
What size nut do i need to screw the attys into??.
Please feel free to make any suggestions for changes to my idea or equipment(wood/fittings) I plan on using. I have literally no DIY tools barring the very basics(screwdrivers/sander/drill). I can get the wood cut to size in my local hardware shop.

Here is what I am aiming for(but adding a few extra row in a stepped configuration)
https://goo.gl/images/eGqZod

And was thinking of swapping the nut/washer for these..
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011689/7376800-diy-self-adjusting-510-connector-for-e-cigarette

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
Re: DIY Atty Stand
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:44:50 AM »
 Why bother with the nuts ? I would simply drill holes & glue the washer over them , as long as the hole in the washer is slightly larger than the 510 thread it will work fine unless you tip the stand over that is.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Online Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »
I wanted to secure them Cy. I can guarantee I will knock them over!!!

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Cheerios are NOT donut seeds!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:09:38 AM »
Why not start off with a 2x6 for the main base, then you can use the washers and it's a little harder to knock over.  You could even step it by adding a 2x4 and still do the washers, OR, if your brother is skilled and has the right tools, just bore out 24mm holes just deep enough to hold the atty's in place.  OR am I missing the whole idea?
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:10:34 AM »
 Good point I would probably do the same.
I think the thread size for 510 is 7mm x .5 if you go with the nuts (could be wrong)
I would use epoxy rather than superglue but if you use superglue don't get any in the treads as it can form a skin so it looks set but if you brake the skin it will glue your atty in for good.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Online Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:58:28 PM »
Why not start off with a 2x6 for the main base, then you can use the washers and it's a little harder to knock over.  You could even step it by adding a 2x4 and still do the washers, OR, if your brother is skilled and has the right tools, just bore out 24mm holes just deep enough to hold the atty's in place.  OR am I missing the whole idea?
Yeah the holes would probably be easier to do but I like the look of the stand in the linked photo.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 08:04:57 PM »
It would be GREAT if there was like a plastic version of the 510 connection and platform!!!  Never have to worry about threads getting messed up. :/X :/X :/X
-- Rik

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 03:22:07 AM »
Hey guys. I was thinking of building an atomizer stand. I have tanks and drippers laying around everywhere and want somewhere I can store them all.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10011689/7376800-diy-self-adjusting-510-connector-for-e-cigarette

I would go with the 510 connectors.

And you wouldn't even need nuts or glue to hold the connectors in the wood. Just remove all the rest of the hardware - see illustration #4. Drill holes in the wood base that are a bit smaller than the diameter of the shell thread size - deep enough that the shell does not bottom out. Then screw the shells into the holes. Any slight drilling tearouts will be covered by the flanges on the shells.

If you do that, you could use steps of 20 - 25 mm.  (I don't know metric finished lumber thicknesses).  In the US, we would use 1x stock. Three levels could be: 1x6 on the bottom, 1x4 in the middle and 1x2 on top. That would give the two bottom steps a depth of 2 inches and the top step a depth of 1.5 inches.  This would make to whole storage base about 1.5" tall, so it would be pretty stable.

Since you have a drill, all you would need is the proper diameter of drill bit. The hardest part would be applying a decent finish.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 01:45:32 AM »
Yeah, I just figured I'm over complicating things.  Some wood and a drill-press, and some sanding plus staining, and you've got a final product. x:)x x:)x x:)x
-- Rik

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently