The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Keeping it basic or spending on old "high end" mods?  (Read 135 times)

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
Keeping it basic or spending on old "high end" mods?
« on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:03 AM »
For those who don't know me, I am one of the old Den Mates (Caz, I can call myself that, right?)?  So I just dropped by and noticed in a thread that folks are buying high end tube mods etc. for lesser prices but still paying for them.  I am curious, do many of you still go after the newest mods or the old school "high end" mods and tanks?  Personally, I have settled into having a few reasonably recent IPV's and using Cleto and older model Atlantis tanks and called it a day.  My old "high end stuff' has either been handed off in a pay it forward or is sitting in my garage in a dusty box.

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
Re: Keeping it basic or spending on old "high end" mods?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 05:47:14 AM »
 I am using mid priced regulated mods, usually a little Pico & a Tesla Nano Steampunk with my all time favorite tank the Kayfun Prime.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • -Sesquipedalian Man- You can call me Pete
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:01:52 AM »
I've always liked new stuff for my rigs. I upgraded because of dissatisfaction in my early vaping days, but after getting the eVics and the Nautilus tanks, all these upgrades were for the coolness factor, rather than because I was not happy with my previous rigs.

I've tended to stay with my Aspire Nautilus tanks for the last several years, though I've laid in a good supply of the Evolv/Aspire TC-Nickel atomizers just because I think TC is a better match for the way I vape. I've also laid in a supply of spare parts for the tanks.
Recently I got 4 Ammit RTAs, because I'd like to try some 316SS coils for TC vaping. I haven't set these up yet, but will eventually.

For my mods I've purchased four eVic tube mods and then four of the eVic Supremes,
Then seven iStick20s (gave one away to a friend as a starter kit). All getting a bit weak and one now won't hold enough charge to get me through a single tank of juice.
Two Xvosticks (my first TC mods). A very cool design.
Five iStick TC40s (to replace the iStick20s which were getting weak). Nothing high-end about these; just plain work-horse mods. With built-in batteries these have to be considered as "consumables" since the batteries will eventually die.
Two Aegis mods (just because I thought these "bullet-proof" mods were cool). Now I'm thinking of getting a couple more to use with the Ammit RTAs when I get around to setting them up.

Even with these quantities of mods (gotta have backups y'know), I'm still way ahead of the game as far as spending goes. I was spending more every two and a half days when I was smoking than any of these mods cost.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Cheerios are NOT donut seeds!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:27:36 AM »
I was happy with my Cuboid, but wanted to try a more "high end" mod, so I bought an AsMODus Minikin V2.  Best purchase I've ever made!!!!!  Somehow, the way the Minikin V2 fires simply increased the flavor on all of my atty's!!!  Now I'm looking at the AsMODus Colossal, a single 18650 mod that tops off at 80Watts, which is more than sufficient for my 14 Watt vaping style.
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »
Sounds like you are at about the same spot I am Cy.

PW, sounds like you have quite a collection at this point.  As noted, most of mine is sitting in my garage gathering dust.

Fahk, I am going to go look up the mod you are talking about.  Since I am a flavor chaser not a cloud chaser (I only vape around 50 which is apparently what is appropriate for my mod and tanks) I like mods that really add to the taste that the tank gives.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:58:32 PM »
Ian needs to get his scrawny butt in here.  He has a Minikin V2 and didn't like it so much.  One thing we agreed on was that we loved the way the shape fits in your hand.  I know it looks odd, but nature doesn't make straight lines and I don't think mods should all be boxy or pistol gripped.  It's a touch screen, which I love, but again Ian wasn't so keen on.
-- Rik

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Online Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 10:39:55 PM »
Yeah, Rik is right. I wasn't a fan of the minikin v2. I still don't get it as it was the one mod I was really excited about. It's not a bad mod in any way, it just doesn't deliver the punch I get from other mods. I still use it for my lower wattage tanks(40-50w). It has a great design and feel to it(slight rubberized) but it's not my favourite, despite it being my most expensive. I'm not really into 'high end' mods although I do appreciate the work and skill that goes into making these mods.
The best mod I own is a Wismec Rx200. It's cheap, it's big(triple 18650) but it's my daily banger. Never let me down once and I have literally vaped litres of juice with it. My other work horses are the istick ipower 200w and the Sigelei Fuchai 2/3. I am still waiting on Evolve to release their colour chip in 200w form.
My next two mods(apart from a DNA 200wc) will be the Wismec Gen3 and a Hugo Vapor Boxer v2 or v3.
**I also have my eye on a Sigelei Liasimo F4(no release date yet) with the 41mm-28ml Aromamizer Titan....yeah yeah, I know, it's ridiculous looking but it's just for the craic and for using around the house!!!

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 12:08:01 AM »
Damn, Ian, are you trying to beat out Dan for the largest mod collection?  You have a way to go, but you are on track.

I forget who said they liked the Cuboid.  I saw it in a thread somewhere.  I hated mine.  I used it as a paper weight for a while.   It had no umph for me at all.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 02:24:01 AM »
Five iStick TC40s (to replace the iStick20s which were getting weak). Nothing high-end about these; just plain work-horse mods. With built-in batteries these have to be considered as "consumables" since the batteries will eventually die.

Yeah. I bought a couple of Picos for that very reason. I don't have to worry about the batteries (since they are replaceable), but still have to be concerned about the electronics and whether the connector will wear out.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 02:27:14 AM »
PW, sounds like you have quite a collection at this point.  As noted, most of mine is sitting in my garage gathering dust.

Do you have any Protank IIs or VAMO V3 mods kicking around?

I Vape and I Vote!

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 04:22:08 AM »

Yeah. I bought a couple of Picos for that very reason. I don't have to worry about the batteries (since they are replaceable), but still have to be concerned about the electronics and whether the connector will wear out.
I and a few others who frequent my local vape shop have used the Pico on daily or at least part of the day since they first came on the market and they are all still going great so I wouldn't worry over reliability, my thumb ring has worn a small patch of the finish away but apart from that the rest is still good.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Online Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 04:25:56 AM »
I have a long way to go to get near what Dan has. One of his mods is probably worth more that all my mods together. I buy stuff and get bored, so I keep an eye out for something that takes my fancy. I was probably the one who liked the Cuboid(I still use it). I guess I'm not the one to recommend mods for you so.....but the Funky 160w is something to have a look at. Stylish and well priced, so you don't have to worry too much about it failing or getting damaged. Replaceable acrylic too!!!

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 04:42:35 AM »
Dan's collection from some years ago, wonder what its like now  :D

YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »

[/quote]

Sorry brother, those are all long gone, either into the dust bin of history or used as a pay it forward.

Ian, I'll be looking at the ones you just mentioned.  I am going to rebuild my device collection a tiny bit just in case...

Cy, if memory serves, Dan sold off or gave away a large portion of his collection a year or two ago.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:08 PM »
I liked the Cuboid too.  Never found a fault with it.  BUT everyone has their own experience.  I'm starting to think that a lot of these companies can't even spell quality control. :()()
-- Rik

Offline beyonder

• Umpteen to the elfteeth
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 11:18:49 AM »

I've got a lightly used Vamo v2 gathering dust. Need it?
Where we're going, we won't need resistance | DIY juicer
Weird boxes and tubes
Known to drip sometimes but gennies with SS rope + mesh > *

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 01:16:29 PM »
I could use it, but I am in the US - so it would be international shipping.

I Vape and I Vote!

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently