The Vapers Den

Poll

It's a simple one:  What MG of nic do you *PREFER* to vape?

18mg
2 (15.4%)
12mg
2 (15.4%)
3mg
4 (30.8%)
0mg
1 (7.7%)
Or some other strength.
2 (15.4%)
24mg
0 (0%)
36mg
1 (7.7%)
A higher, non-standard strength
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Author Topic: What MG of Nic Do You Prefer?  (Read 4323 times)

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
Re: What MG of Nic Do You Prefer?
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 02:23:49 AM »
Here is an example. I believe you are using 12 mg/ml and would prefer 18 mg/ml.

Assume you want to make 30 ml of 18 mg/ml juice. Your nicotine base is 100 mg/ml.

You are making 30 ml of juice, so 30 ml x 18 mg/ml - 540 mg of nicotine is needed.

The most direct method is using some algebra.  You don't need to know how the algebra works, just plug new values in the proper places of the first equation  if you desire some other concentration or use different starting strengths.

(100v) + 12(30 - v) = 30 x 18  where v is the amount of 100 mg/ml base needed to end up with 18 mg/ml vaping solution
100v + 360 - 12v = 540

88v = 180
v = 180/88 = 2.05 ml nicotine base  (2 ml is close enough)
so 30 - 2 = 28 of the 12 mg/ml starting vaping juice is needed.

To check, you need 540 mg nicotine total.
(28 ml x 12 mg/ml) + (2 ml x 100 mg/ml) = 336 + 200 = 536 mg nicotine 
That come out to 17.87 mg/ml (you won't be able to detect the slight shortness of nicotine)

You can get nicotine base in various PG/VG ratios. I use 50:50 everywhere, so the actual ratio is only changed by the flavoring I add when I mix my juices from scratch. If you can get your nicotine base with the same PG/VG ratio as your juice, then the ratio will remain the same after mixing the starting juice and the nicotine base.  MFS has these ratios available: 100% PG, 75:25 PG/VG. 50:50 PG/VG, 25:75 PG/VG, 100% VG. There are other vendors that offer similar ratio choices.

A further example to show how plugging in different concentrations works. Let's assume you have 50 mg/ml nicotine base and your starting juice is 6 mg/ml. You want to end up with 20 ml of 12 mg/ml juice.

(50v) + 6(20 - v) = 20 x 12
50v + 120 - 6v = 240  (you need 240 mg of nicotine total)
44v = 120
v = 2.73 or approximately 2.75 ml of the 50 mg/ml juice.
20 - 2.75 = 17.25 ml of the 6 mg/ml starting juice is needed

Check:  50 x 2.75 + 6 x 17.25 = 137.5 + 103.5 = 241  (only 1 mg off - unnoticeable)   
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 05:02:29 AM »
Told ya Rik!!!!

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Always be honest and tell the truth.
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 05:10:13 AM »
Thanks guys!!!

I've copied all to my HD for future reference.
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 01:20:28 AM »
It just looks complicated. Setting up the equation is the hardest part - the rest is just plugging in the various values in the proper places and doing some arithmetic.

It gets more complicated if you want to change PG/VG ratios plus adjust the nicotine concentration. You also may need to add pure PG and/or pure VG to your collection of stock starting solutions.

Of course, a person could also create a general spreadsheet and find all the amounts through trial and error.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 08:27:48 AM »
<snip>Of course, a person could also create a general spreadsheet and find all the amounts through trial and error.
That was kind of my point. It doesn't take many iterations of just plain guessing (and some very simple arithmetic) to get close enough for jazz.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 09:40:08 PM »
So, in the end of things, I'd just about be able to "ballpark" it  BUT first I would want to work with things until I felt very comfortable with it all. :()() :()() :()()
-- Rik

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 10:00:31 PM »
It's a sort of, "What's the worst that could happen?"

You are working with a juice weaker than you want it. You have (or plan to get) some 100-base nicotine.

Really basic math tells you that if you mix something with less than 1 part in 4 of the 100 base you won't get a whole lot over 25 mg/ml. It shouldn't be hard to keep that straight.

You might not like it much but a few puffs of 25, 30, or even 50 mg/ml isn't going to hurt you. You can always dilute any too-strong juice with more of the low nicotine juice, so you don't even risk losing a few ml of juice. (Keep a record of what you did and you will probably even be able to calculate what you end up with.)

I'd say go ahead and experiment. (Just don't drink from the bottle of 100-base.)
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 10:10:30 PM »
I'd say go ahead and experiment. (Just don't drink from the bottle of 100-base.)

GOOD LORD NO!!!!! 8) 8) 8)
-- Rik

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »
Anybody know of a respectful and reliable place to get the hardware I will need and what all I will need?
-- Rik

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2017, 07:54:11 AM »
McMaster-Carr www (dot) mcmaster (dot) com has:
  • syringes (plastic syringes with luer lock tip) for measuring (from 3 ml for flavoring to 60 ml for juice and nic-base)
  • luer lock needles (Reusable Stainless Steel Dispensing Needles with Luer Lock Connection) (get one big diameter for thick liquids - 8 to 18 gauge are useful sizes)
  • Some people like graduated cylinders for measuring (tall, thin, straight-sided tubes with accurate volume marks on the side) but I find them a nuisance. They are too easy to knock over and break, spilling a combination of juice and broken glass. Also harder to get the last of thick juice out.

You probably have:

Misc bottles and jars for mixing and storing (You should have some spare juice bottles)

Rinsing with hot water cleans these tools adequately.

EDIT: Best practice is to have a location where you will not be disturbed or distracted, wear safety equipment (safety glasses or goggles are a must, gloves and apron are a good idea). If you get juice or nic base on your skin, rinse it off expeditiously - a short exposure by a few drops is not serious; skin exposure to a lot of 100 nic base can make you nic sick fairly quickly. As always, keep out of reach of children and pets. Label things with warnings. EDIT2: (It's not likely, but you might not be the next person who has to handle these materials. Unlabeled e-juice would be a terrible legacy to leave behind.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:04:28 AM by pwmeek »

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »
Thanks Pete!

I've got some empty bottles around here somewhere. :( :( :(

The rest I'll have to pick up as time goes by.
-- Rik

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
Mixing by weight takes all the hassle of measuring and the clean up after. All you need is a few empty bottle(or reuse the one you have already) and a decent .00g scale. You can download a decent juice calculating app for free(or a great one for $2!!). Store all calculations and your recipes on the app. NO clean up after either  :]=] :]=]

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 08:26:34 PM »
Hey Pete you can post links on the Den  :)+1

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2017, 09:02:37 PM »
Ian, right this minute I can't afford a $7 30ml bottle of juice.  Only in the future.   I've got an app or two on my phone for vape stuff.  Never used them just yet, but the future is unknown.

Darth!  Don't force technology on Pete!  He may explode or something. :0)) :0)) :0))
-- Rik

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 10:04:18 PM »
I feel bad when I see people spell out the link... I do that on repressive sites .... McMaster is a safe site to use and link to. 

We do have software setup to auto-block some unsafe/toxic/spam/phishing sites but it's there to protect you all who click on just about everything here. You all should know I do everything I can to keep you all and your credentials safe and secure. If you don't ......you know now.  :()()

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »
You should see the irony in me making, a man that can't remember shit, an elderly technophobic joke at Pete who easily knows 50X more than I do!!! :{ :{ :{
-- Rik

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »
Darth, I was confusing the Den with another site and didn't even try to post the link straightforwardly.

www.mcmaster.com

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2017, 09:19:25 AM »
You should see the irony in me making, a man that can't remember shit, an elderly technophobic joke at Pete who easily knows 50X more than I do!!! :{ :{ :{

I dunno about knowing all that much, but I do know that if I want to remember things, I write them down when I think of them. If I say, "Oh, I'll remember that," it will be gone in a few minutes.

If there is something I need to do in a few minutes (like replenishing my EDC cash) I have to pull a corner of one of the remaining bills out of my wallet and carry the wallet in my hand until the replenishment is done. If I set the wallet down, I will leave the house without it; if I put it in my pocket for a moment, I will leave the house without putting some more cash in it.

I have an app called Evernote that runs on my iPhone, iPad, desktop, and laptop computers. The premium ($) version allows me to keep any notes I take to be synchronized across all platforms. I can take a note on my desktop, and when I want to check it when I'm out, it is there on my phone. Very handy. With an even pricier ($$$) version, I could keep copies of some notes (up to the limits of how much device memory I want to allocate) synced directly on the devices, and not be dependant on having either a WiFi connection or a data (cell or wired internet) connection to consult those notes. Not too useful (EDIT: I had a semicolon here which made it seem that I was saying that Evernote was not useful. It is very useful, just not for reminders.) for reminding me about things, since I would have to remember to check Evernote.

For reminding myself to do things at certain times, I use the alarms and calendar on my iPhone (which I carry at all times, in the same shirt pocket where I carry my vaping rig).
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 10:06:51 AM by pwmeek »

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »
What I would like is an app for my flip-phone that would allow me to use voice to use the alarm, reminder and calendar functions. Using the tiny keypad is a PITA.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2017, 09:28:44 PM »
I heard they were coming out with some smart flip phones in the near future.

You would have text to type function if so I would think.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2017, 10:11:37 PM »
For as much as I use my phone and functions, I should get a flip!!!

Change of subject, anybody here with an Android?  If so, do you run into the running out of space room, regardless of how much you delete?
-- Rik

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2017, 12:35:38 AM »
Yeah. I probably make less than a dozen phone calls a year and receive maybe twice that many text messages.

So I have a cheap LG flip phone with service through Tracfone. It cost me less than $100/year and I am building up a massive number of carryover minutes.

Can't help you with the Android.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 08:54:43 AM »
Well, all that voice stuff is available (for a fairly high price, both for the iPhone itself, and for the monthly fees). You just say things like, "Hey Siri; set an alarm for seven thirty tomorrow morning," or, "Hey Siri; set a timer for 30 minutes," and it's done. "Hey Siri; what is two squared times pi?" gets you an instant answer both by voice and on your screen. (Or my favorite: "Hey Siri; when is sunrise today?")

One downside (besides the price) is that a LOT of people feel that Apple,Inc. is some kind of evil behemoth that they want nothing to do with. I spent a lot of my computing life - since the late '70s - on 8080, Z80, NorthStar, Apple][e, MS-DOS, PC-DOS, Windows (beginning with V1.0), UNIX, and LINUX computers. Lately, it's been Apple, pretty much exclusively, both computers and mobile devices. Frankly, I wouldn't go back to any of the others; maybe it's just laziness, but I don't mind "having things done FOR me" at this stage in my life. I'm willing to give up the low-level control, in order not to have to DO all the low-level stuff every time I want to do something. (I might learn a bit of PYTHON one of these days to handle some of the finer details and I do enjoy playing with IOT (Internet Of Things) devices.)

H*X*H

(Hah! It's been a while since I saw anybody use one of these.)

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2017, 03:58:49 PM »
I can't program my way out of a paper bag.  I used to do some scripts in MS-DOS, but programming is totally alien with me.

I like some of the bells and whistles a smart phone gives me.  I even cracked some of the earlier Android phones to put newer versions on them.  But I must admit that I'm intimidated by software, such as Win 10.  I finding some of the stuff I need, but very slowly.
-- Rik

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently