The Vapers Den

Author Topic: AEGIS Mod "Toughest Mod Ever"  (Read 446 times)

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 08:27:06 AM by caz »

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
Re: AEGIS Mod "Toughest Mod Ever"
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
I had a previous version of this mod. I think it was from the same company. Same idea, tough as shit but the fire button on mine was so hard, it was later fixed in the next batch. It was a bitch to fire but other than that, it was grand. I remember Darth thinking about getting the one I had. He said it would be perfect for his fishing trips. I don't know if he ever got one.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 03:22:10 AM »
 :D  i think you've had every mod out ian   >:D

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • -Sesquipedalian Man- You can call me Pete
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
Looks interesting, but none of the websites I've checked (including the official GeekVape site) says what the weight is. (With or without a battery installed - I can add the weight of a battery myself.)

As a shirt-pocket carrier, weight is important. Also whether the corners are softly rounded - I just had another shirt develop a hole in the pocket where the corner of my mod rubs. To be fair, I also carry an iPhone 6S and one of my house portable phones in the same pocket. (The other shirt pocket has a pen, a pencil, a felt marker, a flashlight, a touchscreen stylus, a combination screwdriver, a lighter (I gave up smoking, not fire), a thumb drive, a Chapstick™, earplugs (if you don't have them handy, you will expose yourself to loud sounds rather than go find a pair), and a roll of cotton plugs (I get nose bleeds occasionally and unexpectedly)).

If these (GeekVape Aegis - remember?) are light enough, and smooth enough, they might be a replacement for my iSticks when the batteries die. Not much sign of this yet, and my four active iSticks have been in rotating service for quite a while now (sometime before Sept 2015 when I first mentioned them on the Den); they still can run longer than a full tank of juice).

I suspect that they might be a bit heavy (and bulky) since they can accommodate a 26650 in the battery compartment. (For the 18650, they supply a sleeve to keep the smaller diameter battery centered in the cavity.) I might get a couple anyhow, since they come in my favorite color (or colour): Yellow! (You can never have too many backups.) (In fact, I just did at $35 apiece from efun.top which is a very low price - I hope I get them.)
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
Depth    37.8 mm
Height    88 mm
Width    46.8 mm
Product Weight    250 g

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10037837/8211103-authentic-geekvape-aegis-100w-tc-vw-apv-box-mod

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2017, 09:48:16 AM »
If it's anything like the one I got, that are quite heavy but solid. If you check out djlsb vapes on youtube, he usually weighs the mods. DJ ran it over with his car(both wheels) and also submerged it in water and it still worked for him. Banged up but it still worked...

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 09:49:22 AM »
:D  i think you've had every mod out ian   >:D
Not quite Caz but I have had my fair share of lemons..

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »
Depth    37.8 mm
Height    88 mm
Width    46.8 mm
Product Weight    250 g

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10037837/8211103-authentic-geekvape-aegis-100w-tc-vw-apv-box-mod

LOL - That's pretty heavy compared to the eLeaf iStick20 at 88.2 g (21 mm x 72 mm x 32.5 mm)
It's even heavy compared to my desk rigs (XvoStick) at 138 g (180 g with an 18650 installed) (27 mm x 80 mm x 50 mm)

These are DEFINITELY not going to be shirt pocket candidates. 250 g - that's over half a pound (and don't forget about adding a 42 g 18650 or whatever 26650s weigh). They are going to be like those hand-grenade mods that were (popular?) a few years ago. A pair of these in your fists would be heavier than rolls of quarters (238 g) and much easier to explain than a set of brass knuckles.

I suspect these will have to find a place in my spares collection (along with the Joyetech eVic and eVic Supremes) or maybe alternate with the XvoSticks as desk rigs. (I don't need four desk rigs, and don't want to keep five Nautilus tanks going at the same time. Three is bad enough.) Good thing they were fairly cheap at $35 each + $19 for DHL service. You can never have too many backups.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 04:19:35 PM »
Hah! Paid $18 for DHL shipping (4-7 days) and they still haven't shipped 15 days later. I got the order acknowledgement within a day with the note that I would get another email when they shipped. No shipping email yet, so they are still 4-7 days away. I suppose I will be glad I got DHL when they finally do ship. Waiting another 2 or 3 weeks would just be that much more annoying.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 04:41:10 PM »
They(fasttech) usually tell you an estimate arrival but that is just saying 'pre-order'.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 06:23:25 AM »
This mod is waterproof,   a must for darth,  who likes to drop his mods in streams  >:D

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 07:37:35 AM »
Unlike Amazon (and many other online firms) they took my payment immediately, not waiting until when shipped. Not much incentive to get the job done IMHO. I'll think twice before ordering from Fastech again. At least it's PayPal, so I should be able to do something if they don't ship pretty soon. (I'll have to check about any time limits at PayPal.)

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 07:31:11 AM »
Woo Hooooo!

"Shipment information received." by DHL. The package has been made up in HONG KONG - HONG KONG - HONG KONG (I swear, that's how the waybill reads) and should be in transit soon.

I just signed up for every notification DHL offers. I will know when it gets picked up, clears customs, is out for delivery, and when it is delivered (plus a couple more I can't remember). I should have it in a week or so - assuming it isn't held up in customs.

The tracking page is bookmarked on my desktop so I can check where it is every few minutes. (Not really; it's just fun to be excited about it.)

The question is: should I be getting some 26650 batteries? Do I really need them, when a worn out 18650 in my XvoStick will last for an entire tank of juice? (Barely; I really should dig out some fresher batteries one of these days.) The Aegis comes with a sleeve to keep an 18650 centered in its 26650 space. I guess the question is: will the Aegis be as efficient in the use of battery capacity as the XvoStick (which uses a DNA40 board)? Inquiring minds want to know (but will have to wait until the Aegis arrives).

The other burning question is: Will my rotator cuff stand up to the strain of lifting the Aegis every time I want a puff? (Remember: those things are heavy.)

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 07:42:29 AM »
This mod is waterproof,   a must for darth,  who likes to drop his mods in streams  >:D
Doesn't water get into the tank if you dunk your rig? I would think you would have to do some serious drying-out  (and refilling with fresh juice) if you submerged your rig.

I remember (in the bad old days) dunking my "rig" (a pack of PallMalls and a Zippo) in the lake. There was nothing simple about getting things back in order after an inadvertent fall into the lake. (When you combine smoking with heavy drinking, such events were not exactly rare. Not every day, but not rare, either.)

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 08:13:08 AM »
Well it's known my devices have ended up in the stream on more then one occasion.. or 10.  :{

You would be surprised that after just blowing the water out through the mouthpiece the atomiser vapes just fine. It has been the case every time it has happened with the Vivi Nova, Kayfun Lite, and Kayfun V5.

Not sure if a dripper would be so easy with its exposed coil, but after blowing out and a couple drops of e-liquid it should come back to life fine.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »
If weight is an issue, I'd go with an 18650(brown lg's 3000mAh) or if battery life is the concern, go with an iJoy 26650(4200mAh). I don't think amps for either battery is an issue for you. If you want fully tried and tested specs for these or any other make, check out a guy called Battery Much. He is very highly trusted/respected in the community.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 07:12:44 AM »
If weight is an issue, I'd go with an 18650(brown lg's 3000mAh) or if battery life is the concern, go with an iJoy 26650(4200mAh). I don't think amps for either battery is an issue for you. If you want fully tried and tested specs for these or any other make, check out a guy called Battery Much. He is very highly trusted/respected in the community. Very puzzling.

Is that really all the difference in mAH between 18650 and 26650 batteries? The volume difference is roughly 2:1. (The length is the same and the cross-section area is in the ratio of 182 to 262. (That's 18 squared to 26 squared if your renderer doesn't do superscripts.)) Why do you suppose the mAH difference is considerably less than 1.5:1? Assuming the same energy density, I would be expecting about a 2:1 difference in energy capacity.

Frankly, neither weight nor battery life will likely be an issue for me. I suspect that after I play with them for a while, these mods will be emergency reserve backup devices for me. If I am ever compelled to use them as EDC, I imagine that I will just be glad to have such sturdy (and waterproof) devices available. (Zombie Apocalypse, anyone?)

(Yes; with my usual 8-10 Watt setting, I could probably get along with the weakest battery on the market as far as current delivery is concerned. A quick Google for [ "battery much" ] didn't find anything that looked right. Do you have a link or two that will get me started finding Battery Much? I do like to keep up on these things.)

(Oh, and DHL has now picked them up from the shipper. YeeHaaaaa! Flying their way to me. EDIT: Imagining Slim Pickens riding an Aegis down out of the bomb-bay door a la Dr. Strangelove.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:23:04 AM by pwmeek »

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »
Yeah, there's not much difference in the two batteries. I always found that strange myself. The 'new' 20700's are +5000mAh!!!. Sorry Pete, damn autocorrect, it's Battery Mooch.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2017, 09:21:56 PM »
After getting from Hong Kong to Cincinnati in a real hurry, DHL let them sit at the Cincinnati hub for several days with (suddenly) no estimate of arrival date. Then early Monday morning here comes the DHL truck with a package about the size (and weight) of a brick.

I'm liking them so far. Easy to set up using the clear (extremely terse, but clear) instructions. Running at 225˚ C (a bit cooler than my XvoSticks) and the Nickel coils from Evolv/Aspire.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 08:26:29 AM »

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 08:34:56 AM »
He gave the Aegis an over-all thumbs-down, but several of his reasons either didn't apply to my use, or didn't seem like negatives to me. I'll watch out for putting a hot TC atomizer on the Aegis, and that seems to cover the most serious negative. I asked a few questions in the comment section; we'll see if he has time to answer.

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently