The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Clone Or Not To Clone  (Read 715 times)

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Cheerios are NOT donut seeds!!!
Clone Or Not To Clone
« on: May 19, 2017, 01:11:03 PM »
First to give credit where it is due, this was originally from a conversation with Cyborg, so thank him.

In vaping there are almost clones of everything, mods, atomizers, e-juice, and stuff I can't remember. 

What exactly is a clone?  It's a cheaper copy of the original, made without permission of the patent or copyright owner.

Are they legal?  Technically no, but atomizers can be found in your local vape shop even labelled "clone."  So clones are somewhat accepted as a given.

Should you buy clones?  Yes and no.  When an original atomizer sells for $120 and a clone of said atomizer is selling for $14.50, it's hard to turn a deaf ear to the siren's call.  There is no shame in it.  Many clones are out of China, where the originals are often made, and some even made on the same production line.  If you're thinking about buying the $120 model, test driving a $14.50 clone may not be a bad idea, but remember this, you get what you pay for.  One clone may be a perfect knock-off while another leaks like the Titanic.  Normal tank and replaceable coil atomizers, RDA's, RDTA's, RTA's, and any other type of atomizer you can think of are pretty safe to purchase one as a clone.  Just the opposite for everything electrical, you are seriously at risk.  Mech's, Mod's, and such things should only be purchased as an original product.  Batteries have had a checkered past with cheap low performance batteries being rewrapped as more expensive high performance batteries.  Search for trustworthy vendor.  I have one that I have mentioned in the Review section here on The Den.  There are others, but take someone's recommendation for their quality and reputation.  E-juice?  It's the true wild west, flavors are loose and plentiful, so if you find something that you like, is a knock-off, and saves you money over Brand X, go for it!!!  I know that I've missed some stuff, but just ask around, we're happy to help.   
#$# #$# #$#
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
Re: Clone Or Not To Clone
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2017, 01:40:05 PM »
 Why does the Vaping world call them Clones ? They are FAKE’s.
Not that I don't have any but I know they are fake & a fake Mhech can take a lot of work to make it safe, I would never recommend a clone Mhech unless it was to someone that knows exactly what they are doing.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2017, 02:20:23 PM »
The only clone I ever owned is the Kayfun v5. I'm on the fence on the subject. I believe the majority of people who own/buy clone are never going to buy the original, so the original manufacturer is not losing out. Because the clone comes from China, there's fuck all anyone can do. I have heard that some manufacturer's even sell these clones to the well known Chinese vendors. It's better to get something than get nothing!!

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 02:21:51 PM »
Correction, I have bought a few drippers in the past!!!

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 02:32:23 PM »
 Clone Wars = a touchy subject.
It gets BAD when people sell clone’s as original, some have perfect packaging and manual’s, you wouldn't know you had a fake.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 02:55:56 PM »
Cy, I hear you.  They're like that $250 Gucci handbag that a girl picks up from the flea market for $70.  They know it's fake, and they're really not fooling anybody.  Since it's China, I think a clone should be something that is manufactured on the same production line as the original without permission of the owner.  I'd think more of a fake as being made anywhere other than the OEM production line and more prone to be a piece of junk.  Splitting hairs, but different levels of quality.  Selling them off as originals is just WRONG and a shitty thing to do!  I can't even say any more on that, it pisses me off so much.

Ian, I see your point, but I think there are a few who do use clones as a test drive.  I do feel like the OEM company is losing some revenue, but like the majority of clone buyers, I couldn't afford it otherwise.  BUT clones do allow for the most powerful form of advertising - word of mouth!  Nothing like someone you know telling you how good or bad something is to sway your future purchases.
-- Rik

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 08:09:08 PM »
Well there is a debate at the moment with one of the bigger Chinese vendors selling clone Goon RDAs as authentics. Their price is around $40, whereas the full price should be around $60. 528 Customs who make the Goon are saying they are fake but the vendor insists they are genuine  w:)w w:)w

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
AsMODus, makers of my beloved Minikin V2, is in the process of suing Sigelli (sp?) for making knock-offs of their products.  Now, these are two of the higher end vape mod manufacturers an one felt the need to make knock-offs of another's product line.  These are typically $100+ style mods, or around that ballpark.  This is just pure bad business.  We're a small market and fake mods just don't have any place in our world. One major company stealing from another is just something I myself can't tolerate. Now, in my eyes at least, Sigelli (sp?) is a tainted company with whom I will never do business. 
-- Rik

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »
I haven't seen these 'knock offs', I did look!!. I bet the issue here is that someone who worked for Asmodus and who designed or had a hand in the Minikin, went to work for Sigelei and took the designs with him/her. I don't know if the designs were copyrighted or not. China doesn't seem to have very good copyright laws!!!.
Something similar happened with iJoy and Limitless. They partnered, one designed the product(s) and the other made it. There was a split and they both brought out the EXACT same product, except one charged twice as much as the other. There was a difference of opinion in their business strategy's. iJoy were for volume whereas Limitless were for margin.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 09:40:12 PM »
Why don't they let people like us run businesses like these, it's like they just plan on being stupid as a business practice!!!! {W}
-- Rik

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently