The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Vaping Terminology  (Read 11136 times)

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
Vaping Terminology
« on: May 17, 2012, 05:47:07 PM »
Vaping Terminology  

901 / 510 / 801 - Refers to the difference in the threaded connector of the atomizer. Atomizers/cartomizers/clearomizers are referenced by their thread type. If your battery/mod has a 510 connector, you should be able to use most any 510 threaded device on that battery/mod (there are exceptions like an eGo cartomizer with a big battery mod that will require and adapter for clearance reasons). And you can use most any device on most any battery/mod with use of an adapter that will have one type of connector on one end and a different connector on the other end (e.g. you can use a 901 atty on a 510 PV (Personal Vaporizer) with a 901 to 510 adapter).

Adapter - See above. You can even get 510 to 510 adapters to provide more clearance. And there are 510 to eGo adapters that will allow you to use an eGo Tank atty on a 510 mod, and some even have the external threads too, so you to use an eGo cone with a 510 atty on a non-eGo device. Through the use of adapters you can use almost any atty/carto/clearo on almost any device/mod.

AG (Aqueous Glycerine) - AG is VG (Vegetable Glycerine) that has been diluted with either distilled water, deionized water, or grain alcohol to reduce the viscosity, thus allowing it to wick better. Pure VG is very thick which makes it difficult to get it thoroughly mixed with other ingredients, and can cause wicking issues in some systems (e.g. eGo Tanks, CE3s, CE2s, etc.). Distilled water or deionized water is used to prevent the impurities present in tap water from fouling the atty or carto coil.  Grain alcohol (high grade vodka or Everclear) is sometimes used to add a slight bit of throat hit.  The most common ratio for mixing AG is 85% VG to 15% diluent, but any ratio that allows proper wicking of the final mix is acceptable.

Analogue – Vapers terminology used to refer to a traditional cigarette.  Our PVs are electronic, and some of them have “digital” control circuitry in them, whereas traditional cigarettes are.... well, “analogue” in nature.

Auto/Auto Battery -   A device that activates automatically by suction on the mouthpiece.  These devices are usually activated by either a sonic switch (essentially a microphone) or a pressure switch (senses the difference in pressure when you draw on the device). These require an “open” battery connector which will allow air to flow through the connector, and thus makes them susceptible to failure if flooded.  While handy on a small device (one that's more the size of an analogue) and what most vapers start with, they are prone to failure and usually not the first choice of a veteran vaper.... although their “hands free” capability does come in handy at times, and they are still found on some newer, very small devices.

Atomizer (Atty) - The part that heats the liquid to make the vapour.  Like the element in a light bulb, it heats up when electricity is applied.  This heat then vaporizes the eliquid and gives us our nic fix (assuming you are vaping eliquid that contains nicotine).

Cartridge (Cart) - The part of an ecig that holds the e-liquid.  Older carts contained poly-fil fibers that “soaked up” the eliquid, which was then transferred to the coil by means of a bridge and wicking system.  Newer cartridges are moving towards a “tank” system where the eliquid is contained in a plastic “tank” and transferred to the atty via a spike with a wick that protrudes into the tank.

Cartomiser (Carto) - Atomiser and Cartridge combined.  These are meant to be disposable but can be refilled a number of times.  Refill methods vary, but some require the use of a syringe to fill.  Like Carts, Cartos have poly-fil to hold the eliquid.

Clearo  Clearomiser - Atomiser and Cartridge combined, disposable but refillable a number of times.

Cutoff - How long the Atomiser is activated before shutting down / a safety feature built into some devices to protect the atomiser.

DCT -  Dual Coil Tank / large 3 to 6ml Tank with a replaceable carto.

DD / DDing -  Direct Dripping / dripping e-liquid directly onto the bridge of the atomiser, usually a Drip Tip is used to replace the Cart.

Drip Tip - An open mouth piece enabling you to drip juice directly onto the atomiser.  Also used as a more comfortable mouthpiece for a cartomiser or clearomiser

Dry Burn -  Activating the atomiser with no liquid to burn off the accumulated crud on the coil ( can also destroy the atty)

E-Liquid / E-Juice -  The liquid containing the nicotine used to fill the cartridges.

Fluval -  A type of filter used in aquariums can be used this to replace the fibre filling in most carts.

HV -  High Voltage /device that operates above the standard 3.7 volts.

HR / High Resistance - An atomiser with a high resistance coil used with high voltage devices.

LR/ Low Resistance - An atomiser with a low resistance coil, runs hotter, produces more vapour.

LiPo/LiPoly -   An unprotected flat Li-Ion battery that can be used in mods.

Manual - A device that activates when a button is pressed

mAh  - Milliampere-hour used to describe the capacity of a battery.

Mods - Mod is now commonly used to describe any device which holds a battery.  Such as any DIY built mod, a mech, a hybrid, a non-hybrid, epen, ecig, VV, WW, TC, and other regulated mods. .

ohm (Ω ) -   Electrical resistance used in atomisers

Pass-Through -  A device connected a USB via a cable, Charges while you vape.

PCC - Portable Charging Case for a batteries, contains a rechargeable battery.

PEG400 -  Poly Ethylene Glycol, provides more vapour than PG but without the sweetness of VG, recommend a good atty for Peg.

PG -   Propylene Glycol, can be used to dilute nicotine mg content for mixes,  also adds throat hit .

Protected Batteries ICR - A battery that has a chip to protect the battery and breaks the circuit if shorted used in pipe mods, no electronics built into the device.

PV / E-NI / E-Cig -  The device used to vape, Personal Vaporiser.

Shiny Syndrome -  The compulsion to buy new equipment for no good reason.

Smokeymiser -  an Atomiser and Cartridge combined, disposable but refillable a few times.

Tailpiping -  Direct Dripping without a Drip Tip, can get hot on the lips.

Tanks -  A large capacity container / mouthpiece to feed liquid into an atomiser, used with a Tank Atty.

Tootle Puffer  -  "An affectionate term for vapers generally using lower watt devices with atomizer resistance of 1.0ohm or above and who utilize the Mouth to Lung (MTL) style of vaping.

TH / Throat Hit -  The feeling that you get in the back of your throat.

Unprotected Batteries IMR - Hi drain Batteries used in VV mods with electronic safety built in.

VG -   Vegetable Glycerin, Good for vapour production.

VV -  Variable Voltage usually 3 to 6 volts.

VW -  Variable Wattage

Wick - Used in Tank attys to get the liquid to the coil.

I have no doubt omitted something vital feel free to add or correct ;)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 09:43:39 AM by caz »
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline FredSpencer

• The drinks are on Dan
Re: Vaping term Glossary
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 06:36:46 PM »
Wot, no Shiny Syndrome?    :'(
Regards,

Fred

An idiot looking for a village.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 07:15:06 PM »
Great start cyborg,i am sure it will expand in time,and fred got his shiney syndrome in!
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline cath77

• Chief Waffler
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:24:41 PM »
Good list :)

Disclaimer; I know nothing about anything, but sometimes I like to pretend I do......

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 07:43:40 PM »
 Thanks, I think I got the important things, at least I hope so.
I wanted to edit some of it as it has came up in bold but having trouble connecting to the forum today so it will have to stay as it is. :'(
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:04:59 PM »
I wanted to edit some of it as it has came up in bold but having trouble connecting to the forum today so it will have to stay as it is. :'(
so it wasn't just me then,lol,that's good.
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 03:26:01 AM »

Thanks Cyborg  thats a great list,  appreciate you doing this  ;D,   we can add to it if we remember more words  8)

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
Re: Vaping Term Glossary
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:50:54 AM »
I know loads of words,not sure we could post them though  :-X
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 04:18:49 AM »
Ok guys i have made this thread a sticky,  gonna lock it now.   If you have any more suggestions for vaping words with descriptions to add please can you post them here -  https://www.thevapersden.com/index.php?topic=523.msg12449#msg12449.   Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:56:56 AM by caz »

Offline 8Ball

• Vapeologist
  • Nickfish; Nickball; Screwball...
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 09:20:54 PM »

Please note:  we are in the process of expanding and adding to this glossary, so please continue to post your suggestions in the link caz provided.... and have patience, we're working on it and we hope to soon have all of your suggestions added into this glossary.

Thanks, :)
Nick
Nick
Overseer of Resident Warden of the Naughty Corner (Dan)
 - and lo, the inmates are running the asylum

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently