The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Vapor's Tongue  (Read 2840 times)

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Cheerios are NOT donut seeds!!!
Vapor's Tongue
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:51:09 PM »
For a while there I was able to taste most of my juices.  Now all of a sudden I'm back to nothing.  Any recommendations???
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
Re: Vapor's Tongue
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 03:37:29 AM »
Did you change a medication recently - or start a new one?

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • -Sesquipedalian Man- You can call me Pete
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 07:48:38 AM »
There are many possible causes for a lack of perceived flavor. As VF pointed out a change of medication can have unexpected results.

For the usual Vaper's Tongue, where over-frequent vaping causes all flavors to become muted or lacking in intensity, a frequent solution is to rinse the mouth with something acidic. Lemonade, lemon juice, vinegar (diluted or neat) are all possibilities. What you choose and whether full strength or diluted are things you will have to experiment with. (And of course, rinsing with something acidic may not work for you. As I say, it is something that has worked for a great many people.)
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 11:51:18 AM »
+1 for the lemon juice. Nasty but always works for me!!

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »
http://www.thevapersden.com/index.php/topic,8833.msg207413.html#msg207413

After re-reading that thread, I would repeat the warning: don't let the loss of flavor cause you to vape extra amounts in search of that lost flavor. The nicotine is still there (assuming non-zero nic juice) and the extra puffs can make you feel pretty bad (in addition to missing the flavor).

Actually, I'm depending on reading the experiences of others on Vapor's Tongue. I've been vaping no-flavor juice for a long time now, and had used minimal flavor for several years before that (just because I assumed that you had to have some flavor to be a vaper). I was trying out different PG/VG ratios by mixing very small amounts (too small to add flavor accurately) and vaping them to get the effect. I discovered two things: 1) I didn't much care that the flavor was missing, and 2) I liked any PG/VG mix from 50/50 to 80/20. Once I began vaping flavorless regularly, I discovered a third thing: 3) it's flavors that gum up atomizers. I now get anywhere from three to six months from my Aspire Nautilus coils (both conventional and nickel). It may be longer than that; some of my coils have been in use for so long that I forget when I last changed them.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 11:03:57 PM »
I've had a med change or two, so there's that.

I haven't increased my vaping, luckily.  I think I might have been vaping more when I could taste them.

I know my body over produces uric acid(one of the type of kidney stones I get) and the booster to fight them is lemon juice, so I might as well kill two birds with one stone.  I'll work through the rest of the recommendations, but this is my starting point.

Thank you all so very much.
-- Rik

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 10:50:16 AM »
Any chance of changing your meds back?  you were so enjoying the flavours  :(

On a side note,  i've been enjoying my christmas juice still but  oh my god  it practically clogs up my atty within a couple of weeks,  my apple juice makes my atty last a lot lot longer,   now i have experienced what different juice/flavours can do to the atomiser  %5%

i've had a touch of the vapours tongue the last couple of days,  not that it makes much difference as i vape the same flavour constantly,  so pretty used to losing flavour,   some times its worse than other times though,  i like to get a little bit of taste   :{    my main priority is the throat hit though,  cant vape without that. 

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 07:36:08 PM »
Can't change the meds, they either keep me sane or alive.

Pete is proof that lighter the juice the longer the coil will last.  I rarely change coils since I don't vape my dark tobacco juice. 

Don't you get bored with vaping one flavor all year round?  I mean we all search for the "Holy Grail" of vape juices, have you found yours?
-- Rik

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 04:15:11 AM »
nope dont get bored of the apple,   i've tried hundreds of juices,  only really like apple flavour now,  maybe strawberry now and again,   could vape this apple forever its perfect for me,  have no cravings to search for anything else,  been there done that.   I vape for throat hit,  not really interested in much flavour,  probably why i dont like most juices. 

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »
nope dont get bored of the apple,   i've tried hundreds of juices,  only really like apple flavour now,  maybe strawberry now and again,   could vape this apple forever its perfect for me,  have no cravings to search for anything else,  been there done that.   I vape for throat hit,  not really interested in much flavour,  probably why i dont like most juices.
You sound like a candidate for flavorless juice. It really simplifies mixing, plus it makes your atomizers last forever (almost). Adjust the throat hit by adjusting the PG/VG ratio.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 09:05:18 AM »
I've vaped flavourless before and probably could continue to do so if i had to,   but  i dont have to  so i prefer my hint of apple  :]=]

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
I'm in a bit of a predicament! . As you all know, I'm Vaping through my nose only!  I like flavour and do get a hint of it Vaping this way!  However, I'm finding higher nic a bit irritating to the nose and I'm craving more and am irritable!  I find I'm thinking more about cigs than I should, oh My!  Now what?  . K

"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

James Allen

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 10:30:28 AM »
what percentage of vg/pg you using kate?    maybe try mostly pg or mostly vg and see if it makes a difference

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 11:38:58 AM »
Yeah I know Caz, but it's a bit more complicated than that!  Seem to be between rock and hard place!  I will not inhale anymore, simply cannot, lungs/breathing are shot!!  Some does get passed while using the nose method, and I find a higher VG concentrate is somehow easier on the nose and lung!  Higher VG means Less nic!  Currently using 70/30 mix at 6 nic which is ok but I'm craving!  Had some left over 50/50 at 12 nic which was great for cravings but hard on nose!!!

A lot of COPD folks are still taking the vapour into their lungs but altering VG/pg, I cannot!  I'm in advanced stage of the des ease and should probably stop altogether, I find all of the social issues (something in my hand, etc. The act of smoking) also apply to me after 40+ years )!

Guess will just have to have some stronger nic juice on hand and use when cravings get bad!

Thanks Caz, you're an Angel!! 

James Allen

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 11:58:54 AM »
maybe get some nicotine patches to bump it up?   not sure what else to suggest. 

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »
Caz, have you ever tried Flavour Art 'Fuji' Apple concentrate. It's my favourite apple flavouring. Just like the real deal, nice bit of sweetness rather than sharp tartness you get with green apple type juices. Also 'Pink Lady' is delicious too but I cant remember which company I got it from, was a while ago.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 12:32:19 PM »
yeah i got that flavour in one of those christmas tree bottles,   gotta mix though and i cant be bothered   :{   hate hate hate mixing plus i dont like buying more than a pound juice now   ha ha  i'm tight   :P

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 02:31:46 PM »
maybe get some nicotine patches to bump it up?   not sure what else to suggest.

Not much more we can do Caz, gonna be a trial and error game for me!  Just trying my damnedest not to be on home supplied oxygen!  Comfort knowing you're in my court! 

James Allen

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 03:52:17 AM »
Yeah I know Caz, but it's a bit more complicated than that!  Seem to be between rock and hard place!  I will not inhale anymore, simply cannot, lungs/breathing are shot!!  Some does get passed while using the nose method, and I find a higher VG concentrate is somehow easier on the nose and lung!  Higher VG means Less nic!  Currently using 70/30 mix at 6 nic which is ok but I'm craving!  Had some left over 50/50 at 12 nic which was great for cravings but hard on nose!!!

The PG/VG ratio has nothing to do with how much nicotine can be in the juice. That is a choice made by the vendor.

High VG simply means that there is less flavor and more vapor produced.

You might consider getting some 100 mg/ml nicotine base and adding some of that to your favorite 6 mg/ml juice.  I can help with the calculations if you need it.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 04:21:04 AM »
VF   i think kate is saying that any higher than 6mg irritates her nose,   although buying a small bottle of 100mg is worth a shot,   i think if i was in kates position i would definately mix my own,  at least that way you can control and know whats going in your juice.

It may not even be the nic that is irritating your nose,  may be something else added.    ha   not sure i even know what i am talking about,   its a pain in the ass issue  thats for sure,   i'd be climbing the walls if it was  me,   i feel for you kate,   theres gotta be something we can do,   its gonna be process of elimination,   think you should get a small mixing kit,  doesnt have to be big bottles,  just the smallest you can find,   we can walk you through it, 

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 10:53:49 AM »
Ah ha, the good den strikes again!  Thanks all for your kind offers to help!  Gotta figure out what's actually happening with breathing first and foremost!  Been having severe episodes, breathing/dizziness, hit at any time of day!  Gonna purchase O2 fingertip Pulse Oximeter, compare the readings when Vaping and not! 
I think a good way to see if levels change while Vaping and keep track of what I'm Vaping, process of elimination really!  Sounds way too complicated, I know!

I'll keep ya posted, meanwhile I'll continue with 70/30 VG/pg, 6 Nic, zero sweetener and artificial flavour, through nose!  Keeps me Vaping, of sorts, for now! 

James Allen

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2017, 08:58:43 AM »
I got another trick to add to clearing "vaper's tongue", but only for a short while.  One peppermint Altoids seems to cleanse the palate and bring back the vaping flavor for a while.
-- Rik

Offline CSV.Michael

• Vendor
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 06:15:22 PM »
One thing that worked for me was vaping on a wintergreen flavor
It worked so well I put it in a tank as a daily
Hope that helps !

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
Get a toothbrush with a tongue scraper on it. Gargling lemon juice help too.

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently