The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Kit or No Kit  (Read 8308 times)

Offline soupwvu

• Vapeologist
Re: Kit or No Kit
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2016, 11:09:18 AM »
I'm gonna ask Rik's question again with my own twist. I'm am going to invest $100 US dollars to get myself started mixing. I do not currently have any thing other than about a dozen 30 mil and 60 mil empty bottles. I know what flavors I like. I would like to get a list of what the experienced mixer would purchase based on this budget and based on the fact that I need every thing! Nic base, VG, flavors, measuring equip, ect. I currently vape high VG juices 80% and up around the 3-6 Nic range. Come on Caz spend my $$$$$$$
the sky was yellow and the sun was blue

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 12:12:03 PM »
I'm gonna ask Rik's question again with my own twist. I'm am going to invest $100 US dollars to get myself started mixing. I do not currently have any thing other than about a dozen 30 mil and 60 mil empty bottles. I know what flavors I like. I would like to get a list of what the experienced mixer would purchase based on this budget and based on the fact that I need every thing! Nic base, VG, flavors, measuring equip, ect. I currently vape high VG juices 80% and up around the 3-6 Nic range. Come on Caz spend my $$$$$$$

lol  soup,   your asking me,   moi  who when she is forced to mix,  can only mix using drops,  doesnt use beakers or measuring cylinders   :}}}

I guess if i had that to spend  i would get  a couple of measuring cylinders,  some syringes/pipettes,  good supply of glass and plastic bottles,  the glass ones would be used to freeze the nicotine base.

The majority of the money would be spent on nic base  and whatever was left over i would get a pile of flavour concentrates (well not a pile of flavour concentrates coz i only vape apple  :P) good supply of pg/vg  and as little as possible on measuring stuff.

https://www.myfreedomsmokes.com/     there is a category there with discount codes  so dont forget to check that out. 

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2016, 12:36:03 PM »
I use Wizard Labs for the bulk 100mg nicotine and bulk gallon jugs of PG/VG http://wizardlabs.us/

And Vaping Xtreme for the flavorings.  Love there RYLD-8
http://www.vapingxtreme.com/concentrates/

I have purchased PG and VG from Mark both are good.
http://www.vapingxtreme.com/no-nic-pg-vg/

He also sells nic base. Haven't tried it but sure its good.
http://www.vapingxtreme.com/100-mg-ml-vg-base-nicotine/

Don't forget he gives a discount to Den members if you contact him.

For mixing I keep it supper simple. Use a mixing calculator to figure out how much nicotine is needed for the size bottle I'm filling.

I place that amount in the bottle and make a permanent mark.

I add the flavoring either by drop counts or syringe.

I then just eyeball the PG and VG proportions until filled. You can make marks for both of those too if you wish for something more exact.

For all the dispensing I use a 30ml flavor injector syringe from Walmart and break the needle to the point its just circular at the end with no side shooting.

For mixing it all together I suck up 30mls at a time and inject it back into the bottle. I do this about 10 times for a 150ml batch/bottle. Works great.

It keeps things super easy and you can make up a subsequent batches really fast without having to do all the calculations or look for your notes.

One word of caution. When diving into mixing keep it to small 2ml testers and keep track of the amount of drops for your percentage calculations.

When you think you have it right move up to 5ml bottles and try it out for a day. Once your confident of your recipe move up to the larger bottles. You will waste far less ingredients this way.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
Get a descent scales(with NO auto off) .00 grams. This cuts out the need for syringes and measuring jugs/beakers. All the major flavour concentrate companies will supply you with the gram weights and they are also available online. It is also less messy with no clean up afterwards. Video's for mixing by weight on youtube. A lot of juice manufacturing companies mix using weight...

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »
If you want to get really serious, look into a sonic cleaner, it speeds up the steeping time. It's not necessary but is very handy. Also after you find flavour you like, go direct to the manufacturer and you can get larger bottles much cheaper...

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2016, 01:00:44 PM »
It partly depends on how many flavorings you want to get - and the concentration of flavorings needed in your mix. They can be major part of the cost of mixing your own, especially if you need 20% flavoring.

You don't need mixing containers - houseware items will work fine.

I would suggest a 100 ml syringe, a 10 ml syringe and either a 1 ml or 2 ml syringe. You will find that VG does not go through normal hypodermic needles very well - although warming it in the microwave helps a lot. I measure my VG using the syringe alone. Or, you could go caz's route and use a dropper. Just make sure to use the same one for all solutions - as different droppers have different sized drops.

Since your mixtures are primarily  VG, you may need to add either ethyl alcohol (vodka) or distilled water to the mix to thin it down a bit. I think it was Darth that said he uses distilled water.

If you need a lot of flavorings then $100 may not be enough. You could buy 50 ml or 100 ml of nicotine base now and get more later.

You will need a LOT of dilutant, mostly USP VG. For example, to mix up a 5 mg/ml nicotine solution starting with 100 mg/ml base, it will take 19 parts of dilutant (VG, PG, flavorings, water or alcohol) for every part of the base. So, if you started with 100 ml of the nicotine base, you would ultimately end up with 2000 ml of vaping juice at 5 mg/ml. At 3 mg/ml it would be over 3300 ml of juice.

" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »
Get a descent scales(with NO auto off) .00 grams. This cuts out the need for syringes and measuring jugs/beakers. All the major flavour concentrate companies will supply you with the gram weights and they are also available online. It is also less messy with no clean up afterwards. Video's for mixing by weight on youtube. A lot of juice manufacturing companies mix using weight...

If you are not super critical, then you don't even need mass tables. The densities of PG, VG, nicotine and flavorings are all fairly close. So if the formula says 11 ml flavoring, use 11 grams. If it says 21 ml of 100 mg/ml nicotine base, use 21 grams. Etc.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2016, 01:10:40 PM »
Ha, or ya can forget all that and get your juice from LiQuid. ✌️

"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

James Allen

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2016, 01:59:31 PM »
Ha, or ya can forget all that and get your juice from LiQuid. ✌️

yeah lots easier,  at least until we cant anymore   w:)w :'(

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
LOL Kate.

I don't dilute my VG any more. Have no problems with wicking in the Kayfuns I use. It was only a problem with the food grade version I was using at the time but have since ditched it. One note on the 30ml syringe I use. Don't use it with known tank cracker liquids. It doesn't like them either.

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
Re: flavorless juice
I would like to try that myself..........is the[re] any taste at all ?
Nope.

The nicotine tastes bitter if you get some juice on your tongue, but has no distinct taste or smell in the vapor.

The two carriers each have a slightly sweet taste (again, on the tongue; you can't smell sweetness) but not much in the vapor. (Any substance with "gly" in the name is somehow related to sweetness.)

There is some throat hit, but I usually vape at very low power (10 Watts on the iStick, and 450˚-limit on the XvoSticks [based on Evolv DNA40 boards]) so I don't get a great deal of TH. At 50/50 PG/VG I get a moderate amount of visible vapor. Not enough for cloud chasing; too much for careless stealth. I exhale through a small towel, and have only been called out once for vaping in a prohibited zone. (It's visible vapor that causes complaints; I don't take a lot of trouble to conceal my rig.)

What I do get at 50 mg/ml is a fairly quick rush from the nicotine, which is what I'm looking for, and what keeps me vaping instead of smoking.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Always be honest and tell the truth.
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2016, 11:50:27 AM »
I've thought about this since all flavors fall out of favor with me quite quickly. 

OMG!  Imagine vaping 100mg Nic!!!   You only vape like twice a day.   :))
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2016, 05:51:57 AM »
Not quite.

Keep in mind that part of what makes vaping so successful is the mechanical aspect. If it were nicotine amount alone, then the nicotine patches would work much better.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2016, 10:57:51 PM »
Nicotine patches just don't deliver enough nicotine (and they deliver it smoothly). The biggest patch delivers 21 mg per day; each mg is roughly spread out over an hour.

I use about 100 to 150 mg of nicotine per day (maybe a little less), and I take it in fairly large bursts spaced with non-vaping intervals of 20 minutes to an hour. I think I use less nicotine per day than I did with 36 mg/ml. It doesn't seem like I'm vaping a lot less, but I think I take shorter puffs now and fewer per session. I occasionally get separated from my vaping rig and unless I think it will be for quite a long time I can't be bothered to make a special trip to go get my rig. I just wait until I get reunited with it. (But then I vape real hard for a few minutes.)
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2016, 09:53:16 AM »
Ha, choice of words "separated and reunited" made me chuckle Pete!

REUNITED:

"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

James Allen

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Always be honest and tell the truth.
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2016, 03:57:38 PM »
Really now?
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently