The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Black Note Natually Extracted Tobacco liquids  (Read 7643 times)

Offline prof beard

Black Note Natually Extracted Tobacco liquids
« on: November 09, 2015, 03:43:56 PM »
NOTE - unusally,  I received the liquids reviewed here free of charge - but I hope you know you can trust me by now

A couple of weeks back, I was approached via pm by Jonathan from Vapour UK.  He said that someone had suggested the I was a bit of a tobacco vape expert and would be a good person to review the Black Note range.  So I guess I should thank Pauly Meatballs for his kind words!  I agreed I would that and there was then a bit of a wait until the Notebook pack was available in 18mg.  (This is the strongest these liquids come - I normally vape at 24mg or higher but can live with 18mg).

What did I get?

I got this box:

containing:

The box had a nice "blurb" on its inside flap:

(Apologies for the slight fuzziness of that image)

The 8 7.5ml bottles are this type:

Each has a label giving batch details:

and a label stating the flavour - here is the full range:

Obviously, I'm not about to published a review of all these liquids on day one!  I shall be working my way through over the next week or two...

Weapons of Choice

In preparation, I have rewicked and checked out the below:

1)  An RSM 18350 Dripper Hybrid at 0.8ohms

2) A Luxe 18350 mod with a Luxe 510 Dripper at 0.75ohms

3) A Super T Precise Simplicity 18350 with a Hellfire v1 Dripper at 0.9ohms

These are all flavour oriented atomisers and builds and if I need to recoil during the reviews I'll stick to similar resistances.  All coils are twisted Kanthal

The first review will follow soon :)
I won't slave for beggar's pay,
likewise gold and jewels,
but I would slave to learn the way
to sink your ship of fools

Offline prof beard

Re: Black Note Natually Extracted Tobacco liquids
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »
And we're off!

Picked entirely at random my first review from Black Notes NET range is of Legato

Vapour UK's site describes this as:

Kentucky is an aromatic tobacco with a characteristic nutty flavour, and Legato captures this perfectly. Smooth, sophisticated and complex, with a whole symphony of mingling earthy notes.

I had a look at Black Note's own US site which says of Legato:

Planted on the sun-drenched slopes of Tuscany, Italian Kentucky tobacco has an American name and an Italian heart. Flue-cured to release the tobacco's natural resins for a rich-bodied vaping experience, Legato offers a mildly nutty and aromatic flavor with a finish that's both earthy and smooth.

So, with Legato dripped into my Luxe Dripper onto nice fresh Japanese cotton, I embarked on my trials...

The liquid has all the complexity one expects of an NET liquid.  Certainly earthy, I'd say a bit nutty only in the aftertaste.  The liquid is, as described, very smooth - personally I like a little more "edge" and I found the liquid had a slight sweetness to its vape.  This sweetness is probably down to the fact that the liquid is 50/50 PG/VG. (I tend to go for majority PG in NETs where the option exists).  Interestingly, I then tried the liquid in the RSM Dripper where, whilst the overall flavour was the same, the sweetness was reduced.

The liquid is an excellent tobacco liquid, hit is not bad for 18mg and vapour good (that's the trade-off in PG/VG balance).   Just a tad smooth for my taste but a very good liquid indeed.

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 04:34:27 PM »
Been reading your reviews for a very long time Prof ... you are always a trusted source in my book  :)+1

You say it has a nutty note but what kind of nut is it? .... If you come across any that taste like the State Express we used to be able to get 7 years ago please do let me know.

Offline prof beard

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 06:47:56 PM »
Been reading your reviews for a very long time Prof ... you are always a trusted source in my book  :)+1

You say it has a nutty note but what kind of nut is it? .... If you come across any that taste like the State Express we used to be able to get 7 years ago please do let me know.

I'm no nut aficionado!   I probably mean something like a generic hazelnut - not a distinct nut flavour like Brazil or almond

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
Thanks Prof ... this is not the nut I'm looking for... (says while waving hand in front of Prof in full Jedi manner:()()

Offline prof beard

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 02:25:56 PM »
I gave a couple of ml of the Legato to Ean33, so I'm hoping he will be giving us his opinion too.

Next up, and again picked at random, my next review from Black Notes NET range is of Bravura

Black Note Bravura begins life as red Burley tobacco grown in the rich volcanic soil around Mount Vesuvius. Selected leaves are air-cured as usual, then naturally fermented to develop a deep and complex flavour with hints of fruit.

I had a look at Black Note's own US site which says of Bravura:

Air-cured and naturally fermented, Bravura begins with the smooth, rich undertones of the finest red burley, using a centuries-old process to achieve deep, earthy notes with a subtle hints of fruit. The result is a complex, full-bodied vaping experience reminiscent of the world's premium tobaccos.

Bravura is labelled as a "Perique Blend" and I'm a big fan of Perique liquids from other NET juice makers, so I was looking forward to trying this...

The liquid is a pale gold colour and smells very nicely of tobacco.

I reviewed fairly recently two other NET Perique liquids "Perique - King of Vapes" from House of Liquid and "Choctaw Perique" from Naturally Extracted Tobacco LLC.  Both of these were distinctively Perique with the HoL version being richer and the N-E-T LLC version being drier and more earthy.  Both were made using US grown tobacco, so I was intrigued to see what the "Italian" feature of the Black Note Perique would reveal.

The liquid is very very good - not as smooth as the Legato I reviewed first, but smoother than the two US tobacco Periques above, both of which have a certain pungency (which I like, but many wouldn't)...  It has the fruitiness of of the HoL Perique but is perhaps not as rich, and is not as dry or earthy as the Choctaw Perique.  So - good, definitely Perique, but different!  The liquid provides a good "tobacco" hit even at 18mg.

Offline Ean33

• Vaping Guru
  • 3rd june 2011 vaping ever since
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 11:18:30 AM »
Legato was kindly donated to myself from prof yesterday
today i dripped it onto a 1.0 ohms coil in a nutz 14mm dripper
i found it to be very light but thats a good thing i love a lighter tobacco vape, the sweetness came through also on the inhale
the exhale i found a nutty and slightly smokey flavour coming through, it reminded me of t juices primo verde but no where near as pungent
its a lovely vape, i enjoy the sweetness (not overly sweet like ry4) and a very pleasant flavour over all
the smokiness would put me off using it all day in all honesty, i like a slightly sweet, clean tobacco taste (el toro cigarillo)
but i am enjoying the juice and alternating between tis and my el toro
thanks prof  :)+1
Caravela, dani box mod, Dna40 lost vapes, kayfun v3 mini, kayfun 5
house of liquid cigarello

Offline prof beard

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 05:38:06 AM »
Continuing my exploration of the Notebook, and again picked at random, my next review from Black Notes NET range is of Forte

It’s Burley tobacco that gives some of the most famous cigarette brands their distinctive rich taste. It’s a full-bodied flavour with a lot of complex undertones, and it’s one of the tobacco varieties that e-liquid makers try to recreate most often. Unfortunately it’s also one of the most difficult to get right thanks to the complexity that makes it so popular. Good news, though – with their amazing Forte blend Black Note have got it right.

The secret behind Black Note Forte’s success is a simple one. Instead of using standard flavourings to mimic the characteristic taste of Burley tobacco Black Note have decided to use actual Burley tobacco. The company is dedicated to bringing vapers the best in tobacco flavours, and there’s no better way to do that than to start with the actual leaves. Forte’s taste starts out as selected Burley tobacco from a farm near Italy’s Mount Vesuvius, which is then air-dried, cured and steeped for six weeks before the flavour essence is carefully extracted – and, as you’d imagine, it captures the aroma perfectly.

I had a look at Black Note's own US site which says of Forte:

Cultivated in the fertile volcanic soils around Naples, our burley is ripened by the warm Italian sun before being shade dried and light-air cured. Offering a subtle, slightly sweet flavor, Forte offers the full-bodied flavor and rich vaping experience typical of burley tobacco.

Forte is labelled as a "Burley Blend" - I've discovered over the years that "Burley" covers a wide range flavours...

The liquid is a strong gold colour and smells of tobacco with a certain spicy quality. The liquid has a slight smokiness when inhaled and provides a decent "tobacco hit", the exhale reveals a nutty sweetness (which persists in the aftertaste) and mild spiciness. The overall flavour is "fairly" rich and has more complexity that the initial vape suggests, and develops on the palate. Burley is a tobacco widely used in US cigarettes and this liquid reflects that.  Overall it is a nice tobacco vape and I rather like it.

Offline prof beard

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 04:20:44 AM »
Continuing my exploration of the Notebook, and again picked at random, my next review from Black Notes NET range is of Adagio

Loaded with the rich, full flavour of Havana tobacco, it’s a must for anyone who appreciates a quality cigar.

Grown in Cuba’s warm and humid climate, Havana tobacco has a unique taste that’s not easy to replicate with artificial flavours. Black Note haven’t even tried –they have a better solution. Starting with real, traditionally cured Havana leaves, their advanced extraction process lets them collect the essence that gives the tobacco its taste. The result is a truly authentic liquid that perfectly captures the complex flavour of the world’s finest cigars. 

I had a look at Black Note's own US site which says of Bravura:

Adagio offers the uniquely sweet, mildly spicy, aromatic flavor of Havana tobacco, complemented by rich, smoky undertones to create a flavor that’s recognized around the globe. Grown for centuries in Cuba’s moist, tropical climate, Havana is regarded as one of the world’s most flavorful tobaccos. 

Adagio is labelled as a "Havana Blend"

The liquid is a fairly pale yellow and smells of slightly smoky cigar-like tobacco.  The inhale is the least smooth of the Black Note Liquids I've reviewed thus far (it has, for me, a nice "edge") and reveals a smokey woodiness which is fairly mild but very much "there".  The exhale provides a (very) slight sweetness combined with a sharpish spiciness.  The combination of flavours is quite complex and none of them are "leading" in a pronounced way. The vape overall has a very definite cigar nature but a mild one.  Overall, I'm enjoying this liquid...

Offline prof beard

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 12:01:38 PM »
Continuing my exploration of the Notebook, and again picked at random, my next review from Black Notes NET range is of Sonata

For Black Note Sonata they begin with dark Virginia tobacco, which is then fire-cured with the addition of steam and high pressure. This creates natural sugars in the leaf and develops the characteristic sweet, robust taste of a Cavendish blend. 

I had a look at Black Note's own US site which says of Sonata:

Originating in the 17th century, Cavendish uses a unique process of cutting and curing designed to bring out the natural sweetness of the tobacco leaf. Sonata uses only fire-cured dark Virginia tobacco, steamed and cured under pressure to allow the rich, robust flavors to fully develop. 

Sonata is labelled as a "Cavendish Blend"

The liquid is a strong golden yellow and smells of a smokey-sweet tobacco.

When vaped, it is clear this is a "medium" Cavendish - perhaps more cigarette than pipe but with elements of both.  The inhale is smooth but has a tangy-smokiness.  The exhale has a sweet earthiness to it and leaves a juicy but tangy sweetness coupled with a medium tobacco richness which is in no way overpowering.   This is very nice juice which I'm enjoying...

Offline prof beard

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 05:57:17 AM »
Moving on with my exploration of the Notebook, and again picked at random (I only had three left though :) ), my next review from Black Notes NET range is of Prelude

This top end eliquid brings you the unique flavour of Virginia tobacco grown by the foothills of the Italian Alps, in the sandy soils around Verona. Black Note prelude perfectly captures the light taste of this classic cigarette tobacco, and does it without needing any artificial additives. 

I had a look at Black Note's own US site which says of Prelude:

Grown in the sandy alluvial plains at the foot of the Italian Alps, Prelude’s Virginia tobacco derives subtle flavors unique to the Verona soils. Once harvested, the leaves are flue-cured to release their natural sugars and resins, resulting in a light, bright taste and aroma. 

Prelude is labelled as a "Virginia Blend"

The liquid is a medium gold and has a light tobacco smell with a sweet edge. When vaped. it is truly "Virginia" - a light, bright, almost delicate tobacco taste with a typical Virginia sweet edge (but not a cloying or overly sweet edge) and just a bit of sharpness along with that.   This is a nice light tobacco vape and I'm enjoying it.  The hit is like a "low tar" cig...

Offline prof beard

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 11:06:00 AM »
The penultimate juice in my exploration of the Black Notes NET Notebook is of Cadenza

Black Note have a direct approach to creating the best tobacco flavours; they go straight to the leaf. All their liquids begin with selected tobacco leaves which are air-dried, cured then steeped for six weeks. A cold extraction process then collects the essence of the plant’s flavour. Black Note Cadenza uses aromatic basma tobacco from the mountains of northern Greece, a slightly spicy variety that’s often called the King of Tobaccos.   

I then had a look at Black Note's own US site which says of Cadenza:

Sun-cured, highly aromatic and mildly spicy, basma tobacco is considered by some tobacco experts to be the finest aromatic tobacco in the world. Grown exclusively in the mountainous area of Northeastern Greece known as Xanthi, basma has earned a reputation as the “king of tobaccos.”

Cadenza is labelled as a "Basma Blend".  I found this description of Basma tobacco on the Dutch Pipesmoker website:

Basma tobacco is considered by the experts to be the finest aromatic tobacco in the world. It is grown exclusively in Greece and to be exact in Western Greece. The word Basma comes from the Turkish word meaning “to compress”.   Xanthi tobacco is a grade of Basma, coming from the area of Xanthi. It has the same outstanding qualities as Basma and the same variety of color. It also has a very strong but pleasant aroma.

The liquid is a darkish gold gold and smells a bit like some of the old style British oriental cigarettes (a mild version of such as they had things like Latakia in the blend).

The liquid is a very pleasant vape indeed, smooth but not wimpy with all the characteristic of an "oriental" tobacco of the lighter type - some nut element, a certain "sweet and sour" quality. The vapour does indeed have a pleasant smell (to me) - Balkan Sobranie blends used a Basma tobacco as a major component and that comes through in both the smell of the vapour and the flavour.   I like this quite a lot.

Offline prof beard

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 01:02:34 PM »
The last juice in my exploration of the Black Notes NET Notebook is of Solo

If you enjoyed menthol cigarettes you’re going to love this eliquid. Black Note Solo combines natural Menthol oils and flavours to give you a sophisticated, complex and cool menthol vape without any harsh bite.

Black Note's own US site says of Solo:

Solo begins with a fine, ultra-smooth Virginia tobacco to provide a rich, flavorful base, then incorporates a layer of natural menthol oils derived through a special extraction process. The result is a refreshing mint flavor without any harsh bite for a bright, cool vaping experience.

Solo is labelled as a "Menthol Blend".  Now, I don't like straight menthol eliquids at all, so I was hoping for a juice that would provide at least a menthol cigarette experience - even if it was "as cool as a mountain stream".   In other words, that I could taste tobacco as well as menthol...

The liquid is a fairly dark gold and smells, much to my relief, of tobacco and menthol - the menthol overpowers the tobacco smell to the extent that I couldn't say more than "tobacco".

Given my aversion to straight menthol juices, I was pleasantly surprised by the vape provided - very much a "menthol cigarette" rather than a "menthol lozenge" experience.   The tobacco comes through to the degree that one can even say "Virginia" about the taste, and the flavour, whilst sweet, is sharpened by the tobacco element.   Whilst not a liquid that I would buy, this is actually not a bad vape - which, coming from me, is praise indeed.

Offline prof beard

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 04:32:32 PM »
To wind up this review:

Black Note Naturally Extracted Tobacco Flavors - My Conclusion

These liquids are well made and definitely of high quality.   The range of flavours is relatively small, but covers a good spread of different tobacco types.

The liquids are all "smooth" - possibly smoother than I like - and tend to the sweeter side of things, some more than others.  The 50/50 PG/VG mixes give good strong vapour and none of the flavours produced vapour with odours that others commented on. The liquids seem relatively coil friendly by NET standards.

My personal favourites from the range are:

Bravura, Adagio, Sonata and Cadenza

Having said that, I've enjoyed all the liquids (even the Solo to some extent).  As I've said, I find this range a tad on the smooth side for my personal preference, but the flavours are excellent and "authentic".  I'd like to see 20+mg strengths available, and more options in PG/VG balance (as the liquids are smooth, I'd go for a high PG mix to "rough them up" a bit).

But a good range of juices which I'm happy to recommend to tobacco lovers.

(Please note that I have made no comment throughout regarding costs - I leave judgements on that to the eye of the prospective purchaser - NET juices are NOT "cheap" and the Black Note range is no exception)

Offline Kate

• Vaping Hoser
  • Chief Waffler
  • Only in CANADA, EH
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 06:07:23 PM »
Thank you so much for this review Prof!   I have no doubt Johnathan from Vapour UK is pleased as punch with your excellent review of the "Black Note" NET Liquids! 

I found the introduction amazingly "mysterious" the black box with 8 bottles inside and a scroll like preface - almost as if they were recently discovered and returned similar to the discovery of the Titanic!

I know my favourite would be the very last one, Solo!  I smoked menthol B&H for too many years!  The review you gave tempts me to give it a try, even at a higher price.

Thank you! 

P.S. - I should never admit to this, but I learned a new word too!  Had to google PENULTIMATE!  Cool!
"As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he."

James Allen

Offline Ean33

• Vaping Guru
  • 3rd june 2011 vaping ever since
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 07:08:56 AM »
have to say these are great write ups from your self prof
thanks for taking the time, i will put most of these on my to try list for the
new year!  :)+1
Caravela, dani box mod, Dna40 lost vapes, kayfun v3 mini, kayfun 5
house of liquid cigarello

Offline prof beard

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2015, 10:58:00 AM »
I've just been told by Jonathan that Vapour UK will be offering these juices in 24mg - good news for me at least :)

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently
SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal