The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Phoenix Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer  (Read 20517 times)

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
Phoenix Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer
« on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:12 PM »
I came across this rebuildable dripper at The House of Vapor when ordering more wicking string;

http://www.thehouseofvapor.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Bullet%2D1

So, I ordered one.  They get stuff out pretty fast so it should be here before the one I ordered from Vapor Hut since it's local.  The one from Vapour Hut is a "Phoenix" rebuildable dripper.  This one is a variation.  It will be interesting to see how they compare.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:39:06 PM by caz »

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
Re: Bullet Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:50:56 PM »
This link was posted in the VH-Rebuild thread, but I didn't want to clog up that thread with talk of other rebuildable atomizers;

http://pinoyvaper.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/reinventing-the-phoenix-rebuildable-atomizer/

That looks really cool.  I was wondering though, wouldn't it work better if the wick was cut higher?

Offline PapaLazarou

• Sequential
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:10:56 PM »
Maybe something to experiment with?  I guess it it depends on the vertical space available once the cap is on, and whether a taller wick would interfere with the airflow.  The ss wicks do soak up liquid quite nicely.

One thing I have heard but can't confirm is that you should use Kanthal resistance wire (Kanthal A1, D etc.) with that type of setup instead of nichrome, as nichrome tends 'hot spot' and burn out quite easily on them.  I have a dedicated genesis atty (a DID - http://e-vape.gr/The%20%22DID%22/the-DID ) and have only ever used 32 AWG Kanthal A1 with it :)

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 12:01:27 AM »
I haven't been able to find Kanthal in small quantities from any US vendors.  There's one I've been using for nichrome 60.  That vendor has really good prices on small quantities for a wide range of gauges.  He also doesn't charge any shipping or tax in the US.  Hard to beat that.

Offline PapaLazarou

• Sequential
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »
I bought some off a US eBay seller (pmtoolco) a while ago.  It was less than $5 for 75ft, but unfortunately it looks like they are not offering it at the moment.  There's a few European sellers who ship worldwide like http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kanthal-D-0-20-mm-10-m-Draht-Heizdraht-42-1-ohm-m-/280748212594?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415de5c172 but a bit more expensive.  This seller had quite a wide selection, but on holiday at the moment - http://stores.ebay.com/Wires-Store

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:04:09 AM »
I came across this rebuildable dripper at The House of Vapor when ordering more wicking string;

http://www.thehouseofvapor.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Bullet%2D1

So, I ordered one.  They get stuff out pretty fast so it should be here before the one I ordered from Vapor Hut since it's local.  The one from Vapour Hut is a "Phoenix" rebuildable dripper.  This one is a variation.  It will be interesting to see how they compare.

craig, when you get this, would you mind trying it with a tank and let me know how it works compared to the vh rebuildable?
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:24:44 PM »
 Lettie that looks like the dripper not the tank version so a tank won’t fit
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 08:33:23 PM »
Yes, it's a dripper.  These types of dripping atomizers have opened up a whole new world into dripping for me.  If dripping with a VH-Rebuild is any indication, they are impressive.  I'll know for sure when I get a couple next week some time, the Bullet and the Phoenix.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:53 AM »
Yes, it's a dripper.  These types of dripping atomizers have opened up a whole new world into dripping for me.  If dripping with a VH-Rebuild is any indication, they are impressive.  I'll know for sure when I get a couple next week some time, the Bullet and the Phoenix.
Lettie that looks like the dripper not the tank version so a tank won’t fit

Damnit, I want the one that isn't a dripper and sold in the US!   I haven't gotten my vh rebuildable yet, but know I'll probably want another one!

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »
It seems we Americans are the last to get them.  I'm sure they'll show up soon at USA vendors though. 

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 03:46:52 PM »
It seems we Americans are the last to get them.  I'm sure they'll show up soon at USA vendors though.
but you were the first ones on mars :))
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
My Bullet rebuildable dripping atomizer showed up today.  I recoiled it right away not using the wick and coil it came with.  I used a 2.8 ohm 34 AWG coil wrapped around 5-6 inches of 1mm silica string folded over twice for four strands through the coil.  I'm running it at 5.4V for a little over 10 Watts.

It's amazing, better than the VH-Rebuild in dripper mode, if that's even possible.  It makes thick, super clean tasting vapor and it has a bigger juice cup, 15 drops compared to 12 drops for the VH-Rebuild.  That puts it in league with my old standard cartomizers.  I used drip into them when they needed around 20 drops.

The coil mounts aren't as nice as the VH-Rebuild, it uses the kind that require the coil wire to come in from the side instead of the top.  It's harder to install the coil, but that's about the only negative I can say about it.  However, one benefit with that type of mount is you can use a vertical SS wick and coil.  I may try that at some point, but I'm perfectly satisfied using a silica wick and horizontal coil.

Of course, as usual, the draw was too tight so I drilled out the air hole a bit and it's fine now.  I expected that.  As of yet, I've never had an atomizer come out of the box with a loose enough draw for me.

Width is the same as the VH-Rebuild, 14mm.  Less the tips on either, the Bullet is about 10mm shorter, 35mm in total length.  With my shorty 510 tips, the atomizer is really compact and the tips fit perfect.

No leaks at all.  Everything looks fairly well made and the sleeve uses an o-ring seal.  If you overfill it, juice will come out the air hole, but otherwise it doesn't run out on its own.  Long tails on the silica wick pushed down into the juice cup will keep that from happening. 

Unlike the VH-Rebuild, it's not entirely constructed of brass.  The bottom piece is nickel plated brass, but the top piece is a thin stainless tube with fittings pressed into it.  Overall, it has a brushed stainless look which I think is really nice.

I've got a Phoenix coming later in the week.  It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Offline Knoton

• Vapeologist
  • Vaping on my Stig Juno
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 12:24:13 PM »
I believe Boge gonna go bankrupt now that you get all those rebuildable atomizers  :D

I got a bit discouraged by the VH rebuildable, can not get it to work well in tankmode  :(

I started vaping 2011-07-29
Mods: Ego-T, Ego-C, Ego-Twist, LavaTube Mini, Gary Dibley Box 3.7V, Stig Juno VV Box
Current favourite setup: Stig Juno with Vision Vivi Nova filled with Decadent Vapours Absinthe

Offline PapaLazarou

• Sequential
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 12:58:41 PM »
I believe Boge gonna go bankrupt now that you get all those rebuildable atomizers  :D

I got a bit discouraged by the VH rebuildable, can not get it to work well in tankmode  :(

Just a thought.  I wonder if you take out the tank spike assembly if you can get it to work with regular eGo (Type A) cartridges?

I know it used to be said with the Bulli A2 that the 'classic' which uses Ruyan cigar cartridges, worked better than the A2-T eGo tank version.

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 04:47:13 PM »
I think I'm done with tanks in all shapes and sizes.  The drippers work so well, it's like why bother.  After using my Bullet for over a day now, it easily takes 15 drops on a fill which is like 3/4 of an ml.  That's almost a tank in of itself.  No leakes at all unless I overfill it in which case juice comes running out the air hole.  I'm a happy vaper.

I've been seeing comments about difficult it is to get the coil ends into the side holes used by the Bullet and Phoenix.  A pair of electronics tweezers or beading tweezers makes the job a lot easier.  I also use a pair of 3x magnifier glasses.  At best, it's tricky.  That's one thing about the VH-Rebuild, it's much easier to install the coil.

http://www.cmlsupply.com/tweezers/www-cmlsupply-com.html

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 06:19:27 PM »
I haven't given up on the VH rebuildable yet ..... Just haven't had much time to play with it lately  :-[

Offline daredevil

• Vapeologist
  • Why so serious........
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 06:53:10 PM »
my VH tank atty is vaping great i re coiled it and placed a piece of wick down the spike and lay it over the coils then i screwed it completley as far as it would go and started sucking then twisting the vent hole til the draw got easier and plenty of vaper which was about 1 1/4 turn and it vapes great i plan on using ss wick in the tank spike just need to order some

Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 10:58:40 PM »
So I got my VH-Dripper from Vapour Hut today.  It's exactly the same atomizer as the "Bullet" from The House of Vapor.  Both are Phoenix atomizers.  Wish I could change the topic of this thread to "Phoenix Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer" (admins?).

So, I've been using my Phoenix for some time now.  I love it to death, but it's not free from faults.  I've run into an issue where the nylon insulator sleeve on the coil posts can melt on to the silica wick.  Nylon is a poor choice of material since it has a pretty low melting point.  Delrin would have been better.  Keep in mind, I'm a chain vaper and I normally get any atomizer pretty hot so It's probably not an issue most people would run into.  I was able to resolve the problem by trimming the insulator.  I used my soldering iron to melt away the nylon at the top of the posts to keep the plastic from touching the wick.

The center post for the main connector has also recessed an amount due to collapsing of the nylon insualtor also used in that connector.  I'm sure it's the heat that did it.  It shorts out now if I screw it down too tight.  Fortunately, I have a new one (the one from Vapour Hut).  I'll have to be careful not to over-tighten it.  I was being careless with the first one.

I like the construction of the VH-Rebuild a lot better.  It's notably tougher.   The coil terminals are much nicer and it's more tolerant to heat with better insulators.  I was wondering if there was a dripper version of the VH-Rebuild and there is, link below.  However, I can not find any retailers for it.  Notice in that link they offer a range of atomizers including two versions of the A2-T knockoff and the Phoenix.  I think these guys might be the original suppliers for all of these types of atomizers.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/615556530/Mods_e_cigarettes_rainbow_rebuildable_atomizer.html

If anyone can find a retailer for these, let me know.

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
Re: Phoenix Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2012, 02:24:15 AM »
I emailed the maker of the Rainbow V3 rebuildable atomizer and got a reply right away.  They sent me a link to a US vendor that has them'

http://stormysvaporcellar.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96&products_id=697

Just ordered a couple, bitchen.  I'll be happily vaping away on my Phoenix atomizers until I get a new one to try in a week.

Offline Horseman

• Vapeologist
  • Army Medic 1968-1971
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 05:21:23 AM »
I emailed the maker of the Rainbow V3 rebuildable atomizer and got a reply right away.  They sent me a link to a US vendor that has them'

http://stormysvaporcellar.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=96&products_id=697

Just ordered a couple, bitchen.  I'll be happily vaping away on my Phoenix atomizers until I get a new one to try in a week.

Hey Craig,

I'm a bit confused here.  Stormy's website calls these the rainbow.  But the video links at the bottom of the page are all for the Phoenix
Vaping since 10/22/2010

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2012, 05:26:51 AM »

Hey Craig,

I'm a bit confused here.  Stormy's website calls these the rainbow.  But the video links at the bottom of the page are all for the Phoenix
Rainbows, stardusts, ce4 thors...there are so many different names it hurts our heads!
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2012, 05:33:54 AM »

Hey Craig,

It is strange because the photo of the "rainbow" on their site certainly is not what is in the video!

Offline Horseman

• Vapeologist
  • Army Medic 1968-1971
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 05:40:27 AM »
My point exactly.  I have the Phoenix and it does not look like the picture on their site.

Also did a search for the rainbow on youtube and came up with nothing.  But on Stormy's site the rainbow and phoenix are listed as two separate devices and PRICES

I also like the more polished look of the rainbow but it does not have the large drip well that the phoenix has.  I like that because it will hold about 12 drops of liquid.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 05:44:31 AM by Horseman »
Vaping since 10/22/2010

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Chief Waffler
  • Mechs are dead!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2012, 05:42:03 AM »
I've just looked at the picture, the rainbow/stardusts are plastic, this actually looks really nice, metal finish, very nice.
5th vapersary 23/12/2016

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2012, 05:48:46 AM »
I've just looked at the picture, the rainbow/stardusts are plastic, this actually looks really nice, metal finish, very nice.

Dan, don't you think it looks like the vh rebuildable we got, except a dripper and not cart?

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently