The Vapers Den

Author Topic: A warm Den welcome to all the new members online this week  (Read 8398 times)

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
A warm Den welcome to all the new members online this week
« on: September 06, 2015, 06:30:21 PM »
Just wanted to take the time to welcome all the new members online this week.

I know many of us here would really like it if you introduced yourselves here so we can properly greet you. Let us know how your getting along with vaping. What equipment you use.. what flavors and brands you like or whatever is on your mind. If you are having difficulties with vaping let us know so we can help you enjoy vaping better.

We are a fun loving bunch.. don't be shy. Its okay to use this thread for your introduction or start one of your own in this section of the forum if you wish.

Offline DizzyDizires

• Believe You Can And You're Half Way There
Re: A warm Den welcome to all the new members online this week
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 08:52:41 AM »
Howdy folks... !!!
I'm quite new to vaping, just under 2 weeks, trying to get off the cancer sticks.
I'm currently using the Aspire k2 and ready to upgrade.  8)
Appreciate you having me part of your forum in hopes I can learn more.

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 10:16:50 AM »
 Hi Dizzy
Welcome to the Den.
Must be hard for new vapers with all the kit out now, was easy for me back at the start it was a cig-alike or nothing.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline greendog

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »
welcome to the den. Good bunch here so fire away with any questions you might have.
lost or stolen dog ?

www.dogtag.org.uk

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
  • For honest battery info, check out BatteryMooch
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 02:41:05 PM »
Welcome to the Den Dizzy. As the others have said, we are a very friendly bunch. We don't judge, have ego's or create/encourage drama. We also love helping new vapers, no matter what level you are at. Fire away with any questions and between us all, we can help.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
It's the time of year when people seriously consider quitting the cigs. If your reading this then you are considering switching to vaping. Maybe you are unsure about how it works, what equipment to buy or where to buy it. Hit that join button and let us help you make the switch. We will offer you friendly advice and all the encouragement you will need to make the switch. So if you are lurking, lurk no more and come say hi. I promise you, you won't regret it  :)+1 :)+1

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 02:15:17 AM »
welcome to the den dizzy   8)

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 09:51:33 AM »
Welcome to the Den Dizzy!!!  :()()

Ask away.. and remember there are no stupid questions..... we were all lost at first.  :)+1

Offline DizzyDizires

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 12:30:14 PM »
Appreciate the warm welcome...!!  Almost two weeks into vaping and giving up the cancer sticks... sure I've a ton of questions.
First of all this Aspire K2 is not going to be enough other than back up... coils only last me a couple of days.
I'm having trouble with continued good flavor.
I'm ready for a good upgrade without busting my bank.
Any personal recommendations?
I've visited 2 local shops and I'm in overwhelmed with information.
Any qualms with the Revenger?  Any better suggestions?
And headaches..?  I'm at lowest. .3 nicotine, i thought.  Yes, I'm drinking plenty of water
70/30vg/pg
Looking at label of juice:  0.3 6 12 18 24 mg?
I'm so contused.

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 01:26:48 PM »
Right, so here's my recommendations.

For a tank,
The Aspire Nautilus Mini is hard to beat. Nice size, pretty cheap, great coils and almost every Vape shop should have them.

For a Mod,
The eleaf istick 40w, again, is hard to beat. Nice size, plenty of adjustable power and again pretty cheap. I have used them for years and one I bought a couple of years ago, still runs great today.

For juice,
I can't really recommend brands as I make my own. The nicotine(mg) strength you use depends on the tank/coils you are using and how much cigs you used to smoke. The average strength for newbies would be between 12-18mg. The best way to find your preferred strength is to go to a shop and try a few different strengths. It's better to be higher than lower in nic strength. Too low and you'll be vaping constantly but too high and you won't Vape as much. Some people might tell you, you need to be on this strength or that strength. You go with whatever strength Nic that suits you. You can always lower your Nic over time.

Where to buy,
It's always good to support your local shop but if you wish to buy any of the above products, an online Chinese site called Fasttech is a good choice. It will be considerably cheaper but can take 2-4wks for delivery. If you do decide to try Fasttech, make sure it says 'Authentic' in the title. They sell copies or 'clones' of a lot of popular Vape products. Hope this helps a bit and keep asking questions.

Offline DizzyDizires

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 02:18:10 PM »
Truly appreciate all your feedback, it's most helpful...  :)+1

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 06:18:02 AM »
For juice,
I can't really recommend brands as I make my own. The nicotine(mg) strength you use depends on the tank/coils you are using and how much cigs you used to smoke. The average strength for newbies would be between 12-18mg. The best way to find your preferred strength is to go to a shop and try a few different strengths. It's better to be higher than lower in nic strength. Too low and you'll be vaping constantly but too high and you won't Vape as much. Some people might tell you, you need to be on this strength or that strength. You go with whatever strength Nic that suits you. You can always lower your Nic over time.

I personally believe even 18 mg/ml is too low for someone who has been smoking for a long time.  Dr F. also appears to be of that opinion. I think he has posted that new vapers should start at 30+ mg/ml and reduce the nicotine percentage if that is too high. Unfortunately, there are very few makers in the US that sell juices in the 30 mg/ml to 36 mg/ml range. That pretty much means that vapers wanting a higher nicotine content have to add nicotine base to their purchased juices - or mix their own flavors from scratch.

Dizzy, those numbers you listed are the possible nicotine concentrations in milligrams per milliliter - generally abbreviated either with just the nicotine concentration in milligrams (such as 12 mg - where it is understood that it is per millilitre)  - or in the more proper form of milligrams per milliliter (such as 12 mg/ml).  One of those values should be highlighted in some way.

What you thought was 0.3 is actually two values - 0 and 3 - both concentrations used by cloud chasers, but not by many who are trying to quit smoking and want to mimic the mouth-to-lung smoking experience. My advice is to NOT go the subohm coil route, even though most of the vape shops seem to be pushing such devices - stick with coils around 1.5 ohm to 2 ohms and a wattage somewhere between 8 watts and 15 watts. You are trying to quit smoking - not "impress" others with how massive a cloud you can produce.

The exact wattage will vary depending primarily on the juice, how much vapor you want, the coil resistance and the tank/coil designs. It will increase as the coil starts to gunk up a bit. If you get a nasty burned taste, the wattage is too high.

As Ian stated, you will have to find what seems best for you. You will also need to use your mod and tank correctly, to get the best results.

It is possible that the headaches will go away after you have been vaping a bit longer.

I doubt if the nicotine is causing the headaches, unless it is from too low a concentration. You can check the slight possibility it is the nicotine by getting a bottle of that same flavor in 0 mg/ml strength.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline DizzyDizires

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 06:16:08 AM »
Appreciate all your help...!!

I've been spending quite a bit of time reading in the forum and watching youtube reviews on on some of the devices some of you have recommended for a beginner, Plus some. (Currently on the Aspire K2 about 3 weeks)
I'm leaning towards the 40w iStick AND increasing my nicotine from 3mg to 18mg come this Friday.

When you talk about mixing your own juice...  Do you do this at home or at a vape bar, or maybe both?
Pretty sure once I upgrade I'll feel much more satisfied and likely be flavor chasing and looking forward to it.   :]=]

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 06:24:17 AM »
at home,   i would recommend that you stick with buying juice for now until you get used to vaping,   need to find the perfect device set up first 

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 10:43:07 AM »
That's a good choice. I agree with Caz. As the old saying goes, "walk before you can run!! ". Loads of time to learn to diy. There is an initial outlay for equipment when you start diying, so maybe have a look at it around January in the sales. Plenty of us diy, so we can help you through that when the time comes.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 03:51:03 PM »
I agree with Caz and Ian.

First find some commercial flavors you like and try various nicotine concentrations until you find one that works for you.

The best way to experiment with nicotine concentration is to purchase two bottles of a flavor you like. One at a low concentration and one at the highest concentration the vendor sells. By mixing the two in various proportions, you can obtain all the concentrations in between the two. The main advantage of doing this is that there is no change in flavor - assuming both bottles have the same PG/VG ratio.

When you get to that point, there are several members that can help you in figuring out the various proportions necessary to get a particular nicotine concentration. 

The only real difficulty is that, if you desire higher than 24 mg/ml juice, there are not a lot of vendors that supply higher concentrations.

I personally am happiest with about 35 mg/ml, so mix my own. But I vaped commercial mixtures at lower concentrations before doing so. After a year or so I got tired of chain vaping and started adding nicotine base to the commercial mixtures I purchased. Only recently have I started mixing my own totally from scratch.
" style="border:0

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • <>--Sesquipedalian Man--<> You can call me Pete
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 08:27:40 AM »
<snip>
I'm leaning towards the 40w iStick AND increasing my nicotine from 3mg to 18mg come this Friday.
<snip>

The iStick 40 is an excellent choice. I use it (them; I have five) as my everyday carry. If you progress as a vaper, the iStick 40 (actually TC40W) can be switched from VW (variable wattage) to TC (temperature control) using nickel200 coils. Don't throw away your owner's manual; you will need it if you ever decide to switch from VW to TC. Don't worry about things like this yet; time enough to get advice on this later. The iStick 40 works well in VW mode. Try 8 or 10 watts to start out with. It is easy enough to increase the wattage later if needed. (You can also lock the wattage-adjusting buttons once you find your proper level, so save that manual. Locking the buttons so you end up with the wattage you want is a bit tricky; I had to try several times to end up locked on my desired wattage.)

If you were started out with 3 mg/ml juice, you were either in a cloud-chasing shop, or you told the advisor that you only smoked two cigs a day and didn't inhale. :0)) If you smoked (a much more likely) pack or more a day, 18 would be a much more realistic strength. Just be careful; you may have been vaping quite heavily, trying to get enough nicotine from that low-strength juice (which might explain the headaches). When you switch to the stronger juice, take a puff or two and WAIT for 30 seconds or a minute to see how the new level of nicotine affects you. Do not take another puff until you have given the nicotine time to reach your brain. Unlike a cigarette, where the nicotine reaches the brain in 7-10 seconds, with vaping it takes at least 30 seconds for the nicotine level to rise. You don't want to get nic-sick (that queasy feeling you may remember from when you smoked your first cigarette). Nic-sickness won't damage you permanently, but it's no fun, either.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline DizzyDizires

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 12:41:19 PM »
Soooooo excited to announce that I've finally picked up a new mod...!!  Bye bye Aspire K2..!!  Sure, the K2 was a great introduction for me into vaping, but after almost 4 weeks, I felt as if I was starving and apparently picked up a bad batch of coils which I was going through daily. Boooo
Anyhow, almost 4 weeks, and 3 local shops later... the last,  I found superb in products, service (hotties, lol) very knowledgeable, and most divine house juices.
Can you tell I'm excited? You bet your sweet britches I am...!!  No, it's not that extravagant to the more experienced vapors, I'm sure, but it knocks my socks off.
SMOCK Osub Bow Baby Kit
https://www.smoktech.com/kit/osub-80w-baby

Offline DizzyDizires

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 12:50:30 PM »
80w, not bow... lol #T#  :)Y)

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 11:31:30 PM »
Congrats on the new device Dizzy... let us know how you get on with it over the weeks.

Mods are a matter of preference... only thing that matters is that you like it..... most of the low end ones perform very well. If it's comfy in your hand and meets your performance requirements then all is well.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 07:01:42 AM »
looks good, which colour did you get?

Offline DizzyDizires

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 09:37:06 AM »
Decided on the purple  8)  Would have went with the rainbow, but the green was yuck  :)-1
Loving it so far, but I've noticed it gets some gunk underneath the mouth piece where it's filled.  I have to clean it often and has me slightly concerned if I'm inhaling and of it?

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 10:30:23 AM »
i seen what you mean about the rainbow,  the purple is a lovely colour   :)+1

Not sure how much you paid for the kit,  but you can get these in fasttech https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10020352/8259403-authentic-smoktech-smok-osub-80w-baby-kit-w-tfv8

Offline DizzyDizires

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2017, 11:24:48 AM »
I likely overpaid, but for a new user we need quick fixes to overcome our terrible habits of smoking. Hoping from here on out, I can shop more wisely via the internet with all your help.

Here's the gunk I'm experiencing with my new Smok Osub 80w baby: (Should I be concerned?)  #@#

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2017, 12:50:48 PM »
Sent you this in your other post  ;)
Looks pretty normal to me, coils do gunk up with use.
I wouldn't stuff cotton buds down my coil ( you show this in your other post ) as it could cause more harm than good.
Gunk build up can be a lot different with different liquids, I find dark liquids to be the worst culprits but I suspect sweet flavors could also be bad, I think the sugaryness could coat a coil but I don't use them myself so don't rely know.
If it is still giving you a satisfactory vape I wouldn't bother at all.
I build all my coils so dont know the life expectancy of a pre-built coil, depends a lot on usage & the liquid. 
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently