The Vapers Den

Author Topic: KBox by Kanger - Threads on Battery Cover Issue - How To Fix.  (Read 3249 times)

Offline MaineVaper

• I smell like vape. You do too.
Before my Kanger KBox had even arrived, I'd seen many complaints, mostly on YouTube, about the roughness and looseness of the threads on the battery cover. As soon as I saw the complaints I knew what needed to be done. It's an old "trick" that I learned long ago with aluminum flashlights with the same issue. I've just done it with my KBox and it works great, just as it does on flashlights. Get some silicone grease and apply it sparingly (but thoroughly) to the threads on both the cover and the body of the KBox. This will prevent galling and wearing of the threads. From time to time, using a cloth or absorbent paper, clean away all of the old grease and apply new. When you clean it you will see black gunk on the rag or paper. This is worn aluminum, but it will be much less wear than you would get without the silicone grease, and removing it and reapplying it more often will prevent wear even more. Now there's more: the spring that holds tension against the battery is far too strong and that causes more wear and also makes it difficult to put the cover on. On mine I removed the spring (be careful not to distort it) and took a pair of needle nose pliers and compressed the spring into itself enough to relieve the tension until it felt about right when screwed onto the KBox. It doesn't need to be all that tight against the battery to provide good contact. Now I don't have to worry about it wearing out the threads and it's much easier to put on and take off when the battery needs charging. Barring anything else happening to it, I now expect my KBox to last a long time. The silicone grease I have here is made by 3M and it's called "Silicone Paste" on the can. I have an 8 ounce can with a brush in the cap but I believe it can be purchased in small tubes also. I got mine at an automotive parts store and you might find it at a dive shop also since divers use it for waterproofing. At any rate it's not expensive, you only need a tiny amount and it works great on aluminum flashlight threads also and other aluminum things that need to slide smoothly. Happy Vaping.
Former cigar and pipe smoker. Using Kayfun Prime clone with Wismec Presa TC100W mod. Efest 26650 power inside.

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Strawberry Queen
Re: KBox by Kanger - Threads on Battery Cover Issue - How To Fix.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 11:58:01 AM »
gonna move this into the modification forum,   the thread wont get lost in there.   Thanks for sharing. 

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently