The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Z-Atty-Pro  (Read 24679 times)

Offline LoQuid

• Look... its SHINEY!!!!!
Re: Z-Atty-Pro
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Well, it would be nice if the zens were regulated, but since they are not. ill probably pass on a zenesis, i like the contstant power of a regulated unit. dont get me wrong, i like my SD well enough; but i dont like how the power drops off one the battery gets low.

After reading up a bit on the SS wicks, and my initial concerns about silica wicks that are in just about everything els, i think my next atty (aside from the cartos) will be a rebuildable SS atty like the Z-atty. granted i like how the zenesis is a one piece unit, but if its not regulated then it doesn't get my full enthusiasm at this point.
" style="border:0
Vape on!

LoQ

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2012, 05:12:52 PM »
Yeah, battery fade drives me nuts too.

Offline Clarkjs21

« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »
At this point its something like a 4-6mo waiting list for a z atty so by then Ill either have enough saved for it or Ill have my tax return back and will be able to afford it. The only thing I need is a mains adapter and Ill be able to stick it on the powerblok and I have 4 or 5 of those so no worries there.

Craig ... Im so tired of looking for something cheaper that will work as well as an original that I think Im just going to get either a z atty or possibly a scubagenV3 (if I can get one on ecf forums already assembled ... cant be arsed to put that damn thing together myself lol) I kind of like the dual wick and dual coil ability of the scuba one

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2012, 07:29:06 PM »
My problem with those is they're so darn big and I'm not sure a top coil would wick well enough for me.  I've actually got a preliminary sketch in CAD for one with a bottom vertical coil, screw terminals, a vertical SS wick, and a 1.6ml clear tank.  It's about the same size as a Vision Stardust carto.  If I ever get done fooling around with battery mods, I'm going to do a full set of drawings and hit up my Chinese connection machine shop to make some for me.  Of course, if someone ever comes out with something like that, I can save myself a lot of trouble and just buy one.

Offline LoQuid

« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »
Well graig... if it wicks well and vapes good then it will be worth the troube, and possibly worth selling.
Vape on!

LoQ

Offline Clarkjs21

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2012, 08:55:13 PM »
My only concern with a bottom coil vertical that uses ss mesh for a wick is that the wick is kind of like a straw so if you have that juice sitting above the wick it will continue to flow and flow and flow :(

Sadly that also means that you cant lay gen attys down for any length of time ... for a min might be ok but thats probably about it.

We are of different minds on juice capacity though my friend. Im quite ok with a 4-6ml tank ... would mean I wont have to carry any other juice around with me. With these gen style it will mean that I dont have to carry around a syringe. I understand though that you like the smaller sized tanks and can appreciate that its different strokes for different folks. :)

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2012, 02:43:38 PM »
I'm good with small tanks, the caveat being they have to be very easy to fill.  For example, the Vision Stardust is a good example of a tank like that.  You just unscrew the mouthpiece and dump the juice in, couldn't be easier.  The old CE2 cartos that required a metal tip syringe where a real hassle to fill.  That's a small tank that would not work well for me.

You bring up a problem with a bottom coil that I had already considered myself, the wick acting like a straw.  However, I need the gravity assist.  It would be tricky getting the wick to work right, I agree.  However, the top coils are not immune to that either.  They can do the same thing when set down on their side.

Offline Clarkjs21

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2012, 09:42:13 PM »
Agreed that the top coils can very easily leak if laid down ... but wouldnt it be easier to just hold your device horizontal while vaping using a top coil and then set it down upright? I dont care for the not being able to lay my device down (kind of gotten used to being able to with my nova even though it sometimes floods it) but the other features are making me want to over look that point.

Offline LoQuid

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2012, 05:23:47 AM »
myself, i like to stand them up. I'm at my desk most of the night so standing my PV's up is only natural (take up less space on my desk and they are easier to grab that way) so not being able to lay them down isn't that big of a deal for me, plus they don't roll away and or fall onto the floor that way.>_<
what i like most is that it doesn't use silica or any other 'fiber' that can potentially burn up and inhaled, granted carbon may flake off and do the same but I'm not as worried about that as i am silica fibers. and its rebuildable.  ;)

I was thinking about why these things would leak and it seems like someone could come up with a rubber (or some other material that would be nonhazardous... but do they really exist with elastic properties???) seal/grommet/o-ring that would hug the wick to reduce leakage possibilities as well as hold the wick in a more secure position, and come up with a sort of one way valve or a flap that would be on the underside of the top cap to prevent leakage out of the fill hole. I know this would inevitably raise the cost but i would gladly pay an extra $15-$20 for that feature so I wouldn't have to be as cautious about how I handle and vape with a 'genesis' atty.
Am I the only one that has thought of this or am I just talking crazy?
Vape on!

LoQ

Offline Clarkjs21

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2012, 07:11:25 AM »
Well from what I know which is limited the capillary action needed for wicking requires the wick to not be too tight so idk about that seal. The fill hole could just have a little rubber plug (doesn't get hot there anyways)

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers

Offline LoQuid

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
I watched a vid from zen himself where he makes a new wick and you are suppose to make it like a straw where it is hollow in the middle, so there is 'airflow' up through the wick.
If the grommet holding the wick in place wasnt too tight, just enough to hold it in place, it should wick up just fine. the real trick would be the material to use so that its not too
tight or loose, nor would it age poorly or react with the nic juice, so that it would not get tighter or loosen up over time.
Im no engineer nor do i have the money to buy a zen on the black market  ;) ;)  to experiment with one, but I would guess that Zen is either working on something like this
or has rejected it for the reasons i have listed. BUT if he ever does put these two features on the zen atties.... WOW  i would get one in a heartbeat at that point.
Vape on!

LoQ

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2012, 05:19:19 PM »
After finally getting my hands on a device that can use an SS wick, I've met with some discouragement on the practicality of them.  They are really hard to insulate from the coil.  I tried many many times, but could not get reliable electrical isolation from the coil.  I just can't see it being more than partially reliable at best.  I'm going to see about using a silica sleeve between the wick and coil.  They are available and designed for insulation at very high temperatures.  You can see one if you look inside one of the Vivi Nova heads.  Just need to figure out where to get the stuff in the right diameter.

The bottom coil, top coil leaking issue is definitely a strong point of debate.  Wicking speed is always a huge issue for me and a bottom coil can give me the high flow I'm looking for.  Consider other bottom coil tanks (i.e. the eGo tanks) don't leak when you leave them standing on end.  In fact, I left my newly acquired VH rebuild standing on end before going to bed last night to see if it would leak and it did not leak a drop when I looked at it this morning.  It has a coil with a silica core, but the spike wick is SS and I have it set up for maximum flow.  It should be possible to make a bottom vertical coil with a straight SS wick that doesn't leak.

Offline LoQuid

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2012, 08:27:24 PM »
the coil insulation does appear to be one of the most common problems... the most suggested fix that i have seen is to wrap the SS wick with rolled cigarette paper when your building it up, then burning it off. this creates a layer of carbon directly beneath the coil to insulate it properly.

also making sure that the coils are evenly spaced and not touching one another or the pos or neg posts so they dont short out.
Vape on!

LoQ

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2012, 08:30:12 PM »
That's pretty ingenious.

* Theme Select

Forum Default