The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Newbie HOT Vapes...  (Read 4974 times)

Offline djpedro78

Newbie HOT Vapes...
« on: January 01, 2015, 03:19:37 PM »
DNA 50. Freakshows Atty. .6Ω after a few seconds the vape gets too hot. Great flavor at 35 watts but hot quick. Dropped down to 25 watts and get a few more seconds then hot. What am I doing wrong? HELP

#?#    :()()

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
  • Mr. 306, but call me Al, just Al
Re: Newbie HOT Vapes...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 03:33:02 PM »
Are you doing mouth-to-lung or direct lung inhales? Is the airflow wide open? It's probably just not enough air flow over the coils. Is that wattage setting accurate? I've never heard of a DNA 50 board let alone mod, so have no idea how accurate the output is  w:)w

Other than that, it might just be a characteristic of the atty. Some of mine run very hot - There's not many that I run as high as 25 watts. The 'big lump of stainless steel' ones seem to run cooler than the more lightweight ones. Though, having said that, my cheap clone Zenith V2 will run at a higher wattage than the real thing  w:)w

Offline djpedro78

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »
It's a Hana DNA 50 clone and authentic Freakshows atty I won in a raffle. My first build was at .4Ω then I wrapped another at .6Ω and both times got hot fast.

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 03:54:45 PM »
Haha! A clone of something that doesn't exist  :D The box is a clone but the guts aren't  8)

The Freakshow has that weird airflow doesn't it - Which means you're forced to do centre-post builds or half of the coil doesn't get enough air. It should look something like this:

Off topic (in the Den? Really?) - How the hell do you stop the juice falling straight down the air flow channel and pouring out of the air slots? Freakshow? Leakshow!

Offline miknoypinoy

• Vapeologist
Newbie HOT Vapes...
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 04:04:56 PM »
Lol. That's like the orchid clone atty that's on v4 while the authentic is at v1.5 I think.   

.4 and .6 are gonna be a hot vape by their nature of low resistance.   A very noticeable hot vape might be because of a hot spot on your build. 

You can take the wick out and fire it till they glow red and see if one glows red faster than the other.   Adjust accordingly by pinching the coil together or raking one till they glow evenly.

I've strayed away from dripers with air holes beneath the coil for that reason too al.  Looks like it'd leak out.  Good point on the center post build also. 
Mike

I'm not afraid. . . You will be. . . You will be. . .

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 04:09:56 PM »
Just wondering if the OP has tucked any cotton under the coil to catch the drips and stop the leaking - That would really screw up the air flow  :(

BTW, What do you mean by 'raking'?

Offline miknoypinoy

• Vapeologist
Newbie HOT Vapes...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 04:12:58 PM »
Scratch the coil from one end to another lightly with a screwdriver or something.  Works sometimes lol.  Brings the coils back to a more even glow.   I do it with my keys if I'm out and about and don't have a tweezer to compress coils when I get a hot spot. 

I'm assuming the OP is running dual coil.
Mike

Offline failte

• Vapeologist
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 04:37:40 PM »
Don't ALL the Kayfun and Kayfun-like tanks have air holes directly under the coils?  That's something I always check for when looking at RDA's - there'd better at least be a lip around the hole if they're gonna do that.

But if I recall the Freakshow right, the air-slots are quite a bit up from the "juice well" that you can't really see in the pic there.  I have an atty on order (slowtech) that looks almost exactly the same except it has 4 holes instead of one slot.  And, of course, a different name.  Whoops - it's one of the ones on that order that wasn't actually in stock so I cancelled it.  Anyway, here it is:

https://www.fasttech.com/product/1980200
Hey Todd, how's it goin'?

Offline al666

• Vapeologist
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 04:41:55 PM »
Don't ALL the Kayfun and Kayfun-like tanks have air holes directly under the coils?

Yebbut they're bottom fed via the wicks, not top fed by some oaf chucking half a bottle of juice down the drip tip (guilty as charged!)  :D

Offline djpedro78

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 04:59:41 PM »
My SD card crapped out just now. Let me fix this and I will post my first and second build.

Offline djpedro78

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 01:58:22 PM »
Here is what I am using today.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 02:39:36 PM by djpedro78 »

Offline soupwvu

• Vapeologist
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »
If you figured out how to rebuild the atlantis you would be my hero.......still have yet to see a successful rebuild of one of these
the sky was yellow and the sun was blue

Offline djpedro78

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »
Amen. i just bought coils for it yesterday $20.

Offline djpedro78

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2015, 02:40:02 PM »
If you figured out how to rebuild the atlantis you would be my hero.......still have yet to see a successful rebuild of one of these

That was the wrong pic.I will try again.

Offline djpedro78

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »

Now here is my current build

Offline soupwvu

• Vapeologist
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 02:46:02 PM »
What are your ohms?

Offline soupwvu

• Vapeologist
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 03:02:55 PM »
If you get your build up to the .9 to 1.1 range I find the it to be a much cooler vape with plenty of production. I found my sweet spot with dual coils 28 gauge 10 or 11 wraps running 40-50 watts. Getting about 28 Hrs +/- run time per charge on the IPV 3 with VTC4/5's

Offline djpedro78

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 03:07:25 PM »
26g  .6Ω

Offline miknoypinoy

• Vapeologist
Newbie HOT Vapes...
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 04:13:11 PM »
Your gonna definitely get a hot vape. Your coils need to be touching better.  Too many gaps will cause some parts of the coil to burn hotter than others.  The picture al666 posted shows a good example.   

Here's another of my builds with 26 gauge.  Notice how all the wraps touch each other (excluding the last one going to the negative post).

Take the wicks out of your build and fire the coils up. Try and compress the wraps together on both of your coils (one at a time lol)  with a tweezers.   Don't do it while your firing though.  Just get them glowing, release the firing button, then squeeze and hold them together.  When you got them firing at the same time and evenly (or close enough) very carefully re wick. it should give a slightly cooler and better vape.
Mike

Offline djpedro78

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 04:31:11 PM »
I didn't have the coils completely over the air flow holes. A forum member advised me that my coils weren't over enough.
With a quick adjustment, it's working great!

:()()

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently