The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Evod wick  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Happy haggis

• Vapeologist
Evod wick
« on: July 17, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »
I'm quite keen to try a custard flavour juice and came across mention on here (where else!) of vapingking who do one. However, just to confuse a newbie, they mention the use of silica wicks for best results. I have an evod and a CE4+ can anyone tell me if they use silica or alternatively whether it would make a huge difference?
Thanks.

Kind regards,
Trevor

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
Re: Evod wick
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »
Yes, both of them use silica.
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Happy haggis

• Vapeologist
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 10:09:56 AM »
Thank you  ;D
Kind regards,
Trevor

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 10:50:49 AM »
Just so you have the info (and if it confuses you just ignore it):

Pretty much all factory produced atties use 'silica' wick (some might use different kinds that technically are not silica wick like ekowool or nextel but for all intents and purposes they are the same when it comes to this). Only advance rebuildable atties will normally use things like stainless steel mesh wicks or steel cable with SS mesh wrapped around the top of the wick which some feel gives a cleaner flavor.

Offline Happy haggis

• Vapeologist
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 11:39:23 AM »
Thanks gaffer, not confused at all - well no more than I have been already.  ;D  Thankfully, much of the fundamental stuff is much clearer thanks to everyone here.
Kind regards,
Trevor

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 12:09:11 PM »
Thanks gaffer, not confused at all - well no more than I have been already.  ;D  Thankfully, much of the fundamental stuff is much clearer thanks to everyone here.

Don't worry, soon you will be diving into rebuildables and understanding all the battery tech ;)

Offline Happy haggis

• Vapeologist
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
Agggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh information overload.....  :}}}
Kind regards,
Trevor

Offline laker

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
he didn't even use the acronyms yet :D

hihihihi

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 02:36:11 PM »
There's a only one type of atomizer I know of that uses a steel wick and it's a rebuildable one (the genesis type).  That's a can of worms you can either open or not.  I actually use silica even on the genesis type.  I still use the steel wick they normally take, but I sleeve it with silica.  Works better for me.  Most people that use a steel wick drone on about how much cleaner it tastes, but I'm probably the odd man out in that I like silica better.

Offline Happy haggis

• Vapeologist
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
he didn't even use the acronyms yet :D

hihihihi

And for that I am infernally grateful!!  ;D
Kind regards,
Trevor

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:31:05 PM »
craig I remember there was one that came out recently that was SS wick carto or carto like... but I cannot remember the name.

Laker, I actually started to use acronyms but went back and changed them ;)

Offline laker

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 07:45:40 AM »
hehehe :)

that would be overflow :D

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 06:56:23 PM »
craig I remember there was one that came out recently that was SS wick carto or carto like... but I cannot remember the name.

I think that's the CE8, but it doesn't actually use a steel wick in the true sense.  It uses SS mesh to wick a typical coil with wire wrapped around silica yarn.  They made a big deal about the SS mesh, but it's really just a gimmick.  It's still just a typical clearomizer.  They were pretty well panned in reviews.

The interesting thing is the construction of the CE8 is more like the original 510 atomizer than anything else.  If you ever take a 510 atomizer fully apart, you'll see the ceramic cup for the coil is wrapped in steel mesh.  I've seen tanks now for 510 atomizers.  I never liked the 510 atomizer much at all, but for someone that likes them, a 510 tank would be pretty trick.

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 07:18:02 PM »

I think that's the CE8, but it doesn't actually use a steel wick in the true sense.  It uses SS mesh to wick a typical coil with wire wrapped around silica yarn.  They made a big deal about the SS mesh, but it's really just a gimmick.  It's still just a typical clearomizer.  They were pretty well panned in reviews.

The interesting thing is the construction of the CE8 is more like the original 510 atomizer than anything else.  If you ever take a 510 atomizer fully apart, you'll see the ceramic cup for the coil is wrapped in steel mesh.  I've seen tanks now for 510 atomizers.  I never liked the 510 atomizer much at all, but for someone that likes them, a 510 tank would be pretty trick.

oh right right. I forgot that was how it was functioning.

Yeah, the whole tank for an atty thing seems to be a bit of a just a dream right now, lots of good ideas but they all seem to fail pretty hard when it comes to set it and forget it usability.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2013, 06:33:43 AM »
There's a only one type of atomizer I know of that uses a steel wick and it's a rebuildable one (the genesis type).  That's a can of worms you can either open or not.  I actually use silica even on the genesis type.  I still use the steel wick they normally take, but I sleeve it with silica.  Works better for me.  Most people that use a steel wick drone on about how much cleaner it tastes, but I'm probably the odd man out in that I like silica better.

:]++ except I'm the odd woman out that likes silica better!
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 03:02:49 PM »
Hehe, at least I have company on my own little island :)

Offline gaffer

• Vapeologist
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 04:21:32 PM »
Don't worry I am with y'all too. My HH357s have silica wicks and it is the best flavor of anything I have tried hands down.