The Vapers Den

Author Topic: twisted wire really is good  (Read 4655 times)

Offline Ean33

• Vaping Guru
  • 3rd june 2011 vaping ever since
twisted wire really is good
« on: January 21, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »
i have spent the last few nights researching a few atties, when im on the net i seem to drift from one thing to another, one minute i can be watching a fight the next im watching some woman take revenge on her boyfriend with a chilli pizza
so the same habit applies to vaping, one minute im watching a recoil the next im watching how to polish a provari
any how i fell upon twisted wire coils, basically you twist very tightly some coil wire together and use it like one piece of wire 
so off i popped earlier to try and put a twisted coil into my clockworks rda, i twisted a coil and put it around 3 pieces of 1.5 silica

the twisting is easy just loop a wire hold the two ends in some pliers, then in the loop (other) end place a screw driver and twist until the loop part breaks (as this is the weakest point)

on longer bits if you want to make say a foot or two you can use an Allen key in a drill to wind the wire

any how i wrapped a coil on the silica wick with just 2 wraps, i then put it on my vamo and it read 0.4 ohms
it wont fire as its too low
so i put it on the juno, put some juice on the wick and turned the juno as low as i can, it fired and i got the vape of my life

wow.... now im guessing a 0.40 coil will get hot and im guessing a the coil has two wires i have to double the ohms so its a 0.8 ohm coil (i may be way of in thinking this)  and at 3.2v it was amazing

i had started using ss wicks but in all honesty i dont really like them that much, to much faffing about imo
this took less than 5 minutes start to finish and it vapes like a train

the terminator comes in the next few day and i have never been so excited, im like a dog with two dicks, a belly full of piss and a street full of lamp-posts

if you have a few mins try this it really is amazing and easy as wink 

Touchwood. Tres Evo copper mod. Shark of vape. Dicodes Dani.
rose stumpy
kayfun +

Online danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
Re: twisted wire really is good
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
I use ribbon wire from here mate http://www.ebay.com/itm/310102763455?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
it has the same effect, I am running my Aga t+ at 0.8ohms and it is so much easier to coil and manipulate  ;D
with more heat dissipation it improves both flavour and vapor
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

<~~~~~sign or you will suffer dry hits and a crappy battery life

Offline Ean33

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
cheers mate i will have a look at that  :)
rose stumpy
kayfun +

Online danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

<~~~~~sign or you will suffer dry hits and a crappy battery life

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 11:44:36 AM »
I was doing that when the vaporhut rebuildable ego tank atties came out...LOL I got laughed at.... I used a safety wire twisting tool to do it... Locking pliers on a spinner mechanism. Only did it because the wire I had was too thin an popping like a fuse.

I will say Safety wire pliers are the way to go if twisted coil wire is your thing http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-safety-wire-twisting-pliers-45341.html

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
I was doing that when the vaporhut rebuildable ego tank atties came out...LOL I got laughed at.... I used a safety wire twisting tool to do it... Locking pliers on a spinner mechanism. Only did it because the wire I had was too thin an popping like a fuse.

I will say Safety wire pliers are the way to go if twisted coil wire is your thing http://www.harborfreight.com/9-inch-safety-wire-twisting-pliers-45341.html

OMG, me too Darth.   But I didn't really twist it all.   I had some 36 gauge and used 2 strands!
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Ean33

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:52:49 AM »
cheers darth, im gonna try on some other atties over the next week or two and see how i get on with it
i may just end up with some of those
rose stumpy
kayfun +

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 11:54:38 AM »
the terminator comes in the next few day and i have never been so excited, im like a dog with two dicks, a belly full of piss and a street full of lamp-posts

OMG Ean you totally crack me up!    I've never heard of either of those 2 sayings!

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Ean33

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »

OMG Ean you totally crack me up!    I've never heard of either of those 2 sayings!

:D ;)
rose stumpy
kayfun +

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:32 PM »
0.4 Ohms is ridiculously low.  Why not just make the coil longer?  Or, use finer wire?

Offline Ean33

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »
0.4 Ohms is ridiculously low.  Why not just make the coil longer?  Or, use finer wire?

it was an experiment craig, next time i will use longer or thinner wire
rose stumpy
kayfun +

Offline jdlgail

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:50:36 AM »
EA N, saw a thread on an other forum,ecig,forum and was just about to post a thread about  this glad it worked for you going to give it a try, will post later on findings...

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
Has anyone here used the twisted or flat wire on a vivi or CE5?

Offline ad.328isport

« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »
Has anyone here used the twisted or flat wire on a vivi or CE5?

Yeah I re-built both vivi & ce5 with twisted wire (came back at about 1.4ohms) , the vivi had a really bad plasticy after taste and the ce5 got extremely hot.  :)
Provari Mini V2.5 , SZMAX , eVic
Kir Fanis Prive , Bulli A2-TM , Actv3 , Clockwork RTA

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 03:27:43 PM »
Thanks for letting me know ad -- now I won't waste my wire on it!

Offline BigT

• just trying to make my vaping quest better
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »
the twisted wire works good....I like it, I twisted mine , then folded it and twisted it again...(36 guage)
BigT

Offline brian.tpa.1620

• Smoking Sucks...
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 08:09:07 PM »

safety pliers are it. I use to have a pair for aviation purposes. Good to know harbor freight carries a cheap pair. 
Lets vape together and feel alright...

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »
Yeah .. if I remember right they are 60$ or more elsewhere.

Offline VaporDragon77

• this dragon blows no smoke
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 01:11:09 AM »
Has anyone tried this Agro coil that Rip Trippers posted on youtube yet?
Im not chasin clouds...
Im single handedly changing the weather!!!

Offline vapingfool

• Vapeologist
  • Naturally belong in the naughty corner
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2014, 07:31:54 AM »
If you are careful, you should be able to just hold the wire with a drill chuck. You might have to put something round in the chuck to take up some of the space between the three jaws.

Wind slowly with your drill until you get the twist you desire.

I have used that method with soft sterling silver wire for a couple of decades.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • Sesquipedalian Man You can call me Pete
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 09:20:17 AM »
Rope makers slide a disk with holes for each strand away from the twisting source to control the "lay" of the rope. You might be able to do the same with a button or something like that.

Search for [ rope making ] on YouTube for some examples. With fiber, you have to pre-twist the strands in the opposite direction to make the strands "want" to lay together. With resistance wire, just twisting it together should stay put. But what you don't want is an irregular twist where some strands jump over each other. Sliding the button along as you twist should help with that.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.

Offline vapingfool

• Vapeologist
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2014, 09:50:50 AM »
I don't think that risk exists for twisting just two strands.

The biggest problem I have had with sterling is that the twists tend to be a bit tighter close to the drill. It is not important here, but does matter when making jewelry.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline ericm531

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »

i have spent the last few nights researching a few atties, when im on the net i seem to drift from one thing to another, one minute i can be watching a fight the next im watching some woman take revenge on her boyfriend with a chilli pizza
so the same habit applies to vaping, one minute im watching a recoil the next im watching how to polish a provari
any how i fell upon twisted wire coils, basically you twist very tightly some coil wire together and use it like one piece of wire 
so off i popped earlier to try and put a twisted coil into my clockworks rda, i twisted a coil and put it around 3 pieces of 1.5 silica

the twisting is easy just loop a wire hold the two ends in some pliers, then in the loop (other) end place a screw driver and twist until the loop part breaks (as this is the weakest point)

on longer bits if you want to make say a foot or two you can use an Allen key in a drill to wind the wire

any how i wrapped a coil on the silica wick with just 2 wraps, i then put it on my vamo and it read 0.4 ohms
it wont fire as its too low
so i put it on the juno, put some juice on the wick and turned the juno as low as i can, it fired and i got the vape of my life

wow.... now im guessing a 0.40 coil will get hot and im guessing a the coil has two wires i have to double the ohms so its a 0.8 ohm coil (i may be way of in thinking this)  and at 3.2v it was amazing

i had started using ss wicks but in all honesty i dont really like them that much, to much faffing about imo
this took less than 5 minutes start to finish and it vapes like a train

If it reads .4 ohms and ends up being .8 because there are 2 wires, why don't you just wrap with like 24 g kanthal and use 1 wire of that

Offline vapingfool

• Vapeologist
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 01:17:38 PM »
If it reads .4 ohms and ends up being .8 because there are 2 wires, why don't you just wrap with like 24 g kanthal and use 1 wire of that
[/quote]

Because that cannot happen unless there are two coils and they are connected in series.

I am not sure what Ean meant with the comment about needing 0.8 ohms, unless he meant that an untwisted coil of the same length of that same gauge wire would need to be 0.8 ohms to produce a 2 wire twisted resistance of 0.4 ohms.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline ericm531

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 01:20:01 PM »
I can't wrap my head around this