The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Provape Provari Mini & Vision Vivi Nova  (Read 8969 times)

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
Provape Provari Mini & Vision Vivi Nova
« on: August 03, 2012, 05:47:07 AM »
PROVAPE PROVARI MINI AND VISION VIVI NOVA

1.   DECISION TO PURCHASE

Having been vaping for 1 year, I decided it might be nice to try a different PV, as I had only ever owned one, the mighty SD MK 2. I had previously posted on here that I had never felt the need to upgrade as this PV suited my needs.

Anyhow, for two days I studied reviews on YouTube, looking at: Itaste, Legacy, Provari Mini, Wizardís Apprentice and Darwin. After a while, I had narrowed it down to two: Itaste and Provari Mini. They both seemed to have the qualities that I required in a PV and yet the Provari seemed incredibly expensive.  I was leaning towards the Itaste. But there was something bugging my mind; and that was the cost of the battery. Iíd been paying a few quid for my batteries for the SD, now I was looking at £23. Paying this on a regular basis would eventually even things out price-wise with the Provari.

Then, I saw a post on here that made up my mind. Someone had discovered that although the Itaste tank was advertised as holding 1.1ml of liquid, it actually held 0.7ml. Now those of you who know me will know that when I go out of an evening, I take 3 or 4 Ego-T tanks with me because a) I vape loads when out drinking and b) I like to switch flavours often.

This led me to my decision to purchase the Provape Provari Mini, which I would use with the Vision Vivi Nova, having also watched reviews on this product. I could justify spending the money because a) I have no family to consider and b) I had only bought the one PV in the previous year.

2.   ARRIVAL

Okay, the Vivi Nova arrived the day after I ordered it, the Provari Mini sometime later. The Vivi Nova came in a nice box, with little compartments for the spare atomizers. When the Provari arrived, it was wrapped in a piece of bubblewrap. At first I thought it was a bit tacky, but then thought, What happens to all those presentation boxes/tins etc? They get thrown away or kept in ďthe vaping cupboardĒ, thatís what. Why not put all the effort and resources into the product itself?

The first thing you notice about the Provari is the weight of the thing. Itís heavy (in a reassuring kind of way).  Itís a feeling Iíve had before, when buying keyboards. When you buy the pro gear, itís heavier, sturdier.

The SD, on its own, no tank, weighs in at 65 grams

The Povari Mini without extension or tank weighs 140 grams

The Provari, comes with an extension cap so you can lengthen the unit and therefore use a larger battery for longer usage. Now, I wasnít aware that I was getting this; it seemed to me looking at the website that this was an optional extra you could purchase, which I did when I ordered the batteries and charger (these are also bought separately). So, you can look at that in two ways. You can be disappointed that you spent the extra money, maybe even return one of them, or you can think of it as a spare. The Provari also comes with a 1-year warranty.

3.   FIRST IMPRESSIONS

Putting the stuff together is easy as abc ; the Vivi Nova screws straight into the Provari, no adapters necessary, they are the same connection.

I bought the larger version of the Nova, just to try it out whilst waiting for the smaller 2ml version to re-appear. For some reason, I thought the larger one would look bulbous; thought it would be wider than the Provari itself, but as you can see from the pictures this is not the case.

The Vivi Nova is easy to fill, just take off the top part, fill it up, no needles needed, just a normal juice bottle, fill it up to 3ml or a little less, screw the top back on and itís ready. The clear tube that comes with the kit is ideal, as you can see how much juice you have left, and there are even markings down the tube similar to that of a measuring jug. You can purchase coloured tubes to make your PV look pretty, which I did (see pics). It does indeed look good, but suddenly you have no idea how much juice you have and thereís no way of checking (the only thing you can do is take the top part off and look down onto your juice, but even this is hard to gauge).

The Provari has one multifunction button, you can get this in various colours along with the main unit itself. For the main unit I chose satin silver with a blue LED button. The Button also acts as a low battery alert. The six functions are: 1) Power (voltage) up 2) Power (volts) down 3) Power On/Off 4) Check Battery 5) Check Atomizer Ohms 6) LED light On/Off.

Okay, so I put some batteries in, filled up my Nova with my favourite Buttered Popcorn and had a puff.

Well, I heard one reviewer describe it as a crisp, clean taste. He got that spot on. But for me it just wasnít as flavoursome as my old SD. I tried various voltage settings (I was using the 2.4 ohm head, the one that was on the atty when it arrived). Took it to my local pub, where I have many ďtastersĒ. All were in agreement. Crisp. Clean. Not very strong flavour.

Oh dear.

4.   TWEAKING

So, I got home from the pub and started to think. I wondered if I had made a mistake preparing the liquid. I had started to get the dreaded ďVapers TongueĒ. I couldnít get online to ask any advice on here, because I was between Service Providers, awaiting 2nd August to get back online. (lol, The only two days I been offline in 12 years and I miss the arrival of my Provari one day and my 1 year vapersary the next).

Anyway, I decided to throw the rest of this mix down the drain and start from scratch. I would try a flavour I hadnít had for a while. I decided on Mocha with extra Milk Chocolate. Instead of trying to make a 3ml mix, I decided to make two micro mixes, exactly how I wouldíve for my SD ie in the 1.1ml carts, then just tip them into the Nova. Then I remembered a couple of interesting facts Iíd read: 1) that the Ego-t type Aís were 2.3 ohms, which was pretty much what I had in here and 2) That even though the SD batteries were rated at 3.7 Volts, when they were fresh/fully charged they kicked out 4.2. I set the Provari at that. So, with my new mix and new settings, I tried again.

And OhÖMyÖGod, that was IT, man. The flavour, the most important element in my vaping requirements, was absolutely AWESOME. The aftertaste felt like I had actually eaten some coffee-flavoured chocolate. Now I was vaping like a train for about an hour until I went to bed.

PS  Right at the end of the day, the switch started to flash, so I switched to a bigger battery so that I could try the end cap. It was good to know even the smaller of the batteries would give me a whole days vaping (longer when the novelty wears off).

5.   THE NEXT DAY

When I awoke the next day, I looked at the Provari on my bedside table. It was stood upright (err, this is not a parody of any kind, Jediknight lol).. This is something you would never see with the SD, because of the activation switch. However, it wasnít in the place Iíd left it. I think I may have woken in the night and sleep-vaped! I took a puff. That great flavour was still there and I also noted a nice throat-hit I hadnít noticed before. Again, people who know me on here will know that TH is not high in my priorities and I have reduced my nic intake to almost zero, but if I can get TH with no nic, Iíll gladly take it.

Iím still slightly concerned at the fact that I donít know how much juice I have because of this solid tube I now have on the Nova. I have tried to shine a torch into it, but itís so damned hard to make out how much is left. Iím sure someone will point out some really simple way to do this, and Iíll be giving it ďDohĒ. Until then itís a shame, coz I was gonna buy 3 novaís with 3 different coloured tubes so that Iíd know my flavours.

Speaking of flavours, there is another slight downside to the Vivi Nova. It doesnít like certain flavours, in particular citrus flavours and cinnamon flavours. Apparently, these can cause cracks, why I donít know. All I know is cinnamon is one of my fave vapes, so not sure what Iím gonna do about that (maybe carry my SD for that, I dunno).  For a full list of the flavours to avoid go to Cloud 9ís website (by the way, like many other people here, super-impressed with this vendor)

6. SUMMING UP AND THAT ALL-IMPORTANT QUESTION

So, the Provari didnít come with a box, and the coloured Nova tubes donít allow you to see how much liquid you have left. They seem to be my only gripes. Iím not even bothered about a box and Iíll think of a way round the other thing. The big question really is:

Is it worth the money?

Iíd say no, for what it is. Then I take a hit on that Mocha with extra Chocolate and say Damn right it is!!

Just to clarify this, I tried my old SD again late on the 2nd night. The flavour was there, but it was muddy/muted by comparison. With the new set up itís clean, crisp. I donít know if thatís down to the Provari or the Nova or both (I suspect both).
 I guess the only way you can decide whether anything is worth what you paid, is to ask yourself, ďAre you glad you bought it?Ē or ďDo you regret buying it?Ē

Iím glad I bought it.

PS Something I didnít touch upon: Vapour Production. As I got into vaping, I became more and more intrigued/amused by the amount of vapour you could produce. But to my mind, it can get a little ridiculous. You see these guys giving reviews on YouTube, they blow smoke at the camera, then theyíve got to wave it away so you can see them again. Cracks me up. I like to have as much vapour as I had smoke in the anologue days, and thatís what Iím getting, maybe a little more.

PPS Well well well, live and learn. I just switched back to the clear tube with the measurement markings. Made up a fresh mix, same as before, two of my 1.1 ml carts tipped into the Nova. It sure didnít look two-thirds full. Looked at the marker. How many ml do you reckon was in there, Lettie? Yup, you guessed: 1.4. Meaning that the 1.1ml carts Iíve been using for the last year also only hold 0.7 ml

The final piece of info that swayed me toward the Provari was a kind of a myth.

Still glad I bought it, though.

7. PROLOGUE Ė DAY THREE

Day three brings a few new thoughts. I have now tried a number of flavours and they are all superb. Iíve had a close look at the measurement markings on the Vivi Nova tank housing (the clear version) and guess what? The measurement markings go up in increments of 0.7ml. Youíve got 0.7, 1.4, 2.1 and 2.8. How strange, after Letties discovery and then my own. Itís almost as if itís an industry standard.

Also, Iíve thought of a cunning way around the problem of identifying my flavours when out and about with multiple Novas. Until I can think of a way around the solid colours, Iím simply gonna stick with the transparent one that you get with the kit and use different coloured drip tips.

I really must look into why these Novas donít like citrus or cinnamon flavours and if anything is being done to rectify this in the future as I am already missing my cinnamon (I can go back to the SD for this but a) I donít really want to carry two PVís around with me and b) after three days I donít wanna let go of the Provari/Nova combo!!).

I havenít tried any of the other atomiser heads to date, Iím almost frightened to. You know that feeling when youíve got something just right, you donít want to change it, even temporarily, in case you canít get it back? Thatís where Iím at right now, No doubt, I will try the other ones and Iíll let you know if thereís any marked difference, but for now:

Still very glad I bought this.  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

PPPPPPPPPPS  I am at the college where I work right now, my home computer is out of use for the moment. This computer won't let me upload the piccys, so I'll post them later.

Vaping Like A Train Since 1st August 2011
Money Saved: None   Cigs Avoided: Loads

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
Re: Provape Provari Mini & Vision Vivi Nova
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 06:29:58 AM »
Fantastic review mate,you never said how big it is compared to the screwdriver?
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

<~~~~~sign or you will suffer dry hits and a crappy battery life

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:41:05 AM »
Hello mate, the pictures would have revealed that, but I can't upload them for some reason. (I'm at the college where I work, so it's a different computer/set up)

Anyway, without the extension, laying side by side, the provari is pretty much the same length as the SD, a little longer with the extension. With the larger Nova on, it doesn't get any narrower from bottom to top until you get to the drip tip.

Offline Knoton

• Vapeologist
  • Vaping on my Stig Juno
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »
Hello Jeddy  :D
Great review, thanks.

It is great to be able to turn the output voltage to ones sweetspot.
When I am at home I am more and more starting to use my mini lava. Especially since I got my vivi nova that works great on it.
Really like that I can set the voltage to what I want and not have to do with a regulated 3.3v or unregulated between 4.1v - 3.5ish
But it is to big to take out  :(

If you are worried about some flavours causing the nova tube to crack you can always buy the metallic ones.
But those you will for sure not be able to see the content within...
However I dont think that is such a big problem, I use Absinthe in mine and nothing has happen, at least so far.

I started vaping 2011-07-29
Mods: Ego-T, Ego-C, Ego-Twist, LavaTube Mini, Gary Dibley Box 3.7V, Stig Juno VV Box
Current favourite setup: Stig Juno with Vision Vivi Nova filled with Decadent Vapours Absinthe

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »
Hi Knoton,

I've just had a look at the list on cloud9, and it says some cinnamon flavours, some cola flavours and so on. So, I think it's a case of trying them out. Cloud 9 also state that if you discover a flavour not currently on the list that damamges the Nova, let them know. They will then add it to the list and do their best to replace your Nova.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 07:42:42 AM »
i use both and have had no probs jeddy, the cinnamon is from over there  ??? and the cola is bluemist.
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »
That's great news, my cinnamon is from the same place and I'm missing it. Never tried cola but I might give it a go soon. Loving this Provari, mate...shame I didn't have anything else to compare it to, other than the SD.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 07:47:52 AM »
what kinda size is it? compared to the sd length wise, i know you said its heavy  :)
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 07:50:01 AM »
Look five posts up (might be six now)  ???

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:56:18 AM »
sweet, not as big as the mini lava then...did you say you have 2 extension tubes?  ???
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
I have 2 extension end caps, yeah. I bought one and then another arrived with the thing itself. I could always send one back, but it's the most likely thing to lose somewhere, so I'll keep it as a spare

Offline cath77

• Chief Waffler
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:19:24 AM »
Great review :)

Disclaimer; I know nothing about anything, but sometimes I like to pretend I do......

Online caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 09:34:21 AM »
plus 1,   very well written Jeddy,  glad you like your new toy  8)

Online CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:00:28 AM »
 Nice review Jeddy.
Loving my Stig mods so will pass on the Provari.
If I say I donít want one often enough I will start to believe it. 
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline northernlights

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
Holy thread resurrection Batman!

Long time lurker etc etc...

Stumbled on this topic as I am waiting on my provari mini / nova combo arriving tomorrow. Don't really have much to say about that as it hasn't arrived yet.

BUT thought I'd pass on this Protip (as it was passed along to me with my minis) as it doesn't seem to have been answered, at least in this thread...

Re. Nova metal tanks & gauging it's level:
A cocktail stick shall be your novas co-pilot; dip it, gauge it, wipe it, then reuse it or throw it away with gay abandon.
Toot away, secure in the knowledge you're not dry burning.

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 10:04:23 PM »
Welcome to the Den Northern, although my welcome is clearly late. We are glad you came out to play!   ;D 8)

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 10:44:21 PM »
Nice to see some of the lurkers coming out to play at last....won't use the metal tanks....until the ones with the window are available elsewhere other than China....but good tip....although if your dipping a cocktail stick in....why not just look inside the tank?
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 10:48:15 PM »
Welcome indeed Northern Lights....

.....and what an entrance! Superb tip for the novas, I knew it would be something simple yet ingenious. Dan, you can look in there but you can't see bugger all and even if you can, it's hard to gauge looking down.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 10:51:01 PM »
You can if you hold it under a light  ::)
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

Offline jeddy 3

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 10:53:49 PM »
a-ha....provari, check. Vivi Nova, check. Spare batteries, check. Torch, check  :D

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
a-ha....provari, check. Vivi Nova, check. Spare batteries, check. Torch, check  :D
you not have a torch on ya phone  ???
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

Offline northernlights

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2012, 11:31:28 PM »
Thanks for the welcome folks...much like Leftfields second album it'll be 6 years before I produce another hit :)

Cocktail stick isn't ideal granted, but in the absence of a glass nova tank (I wish, apparently some borosilicate masters over on another forum reckon it's too fiddly, both mini & large)

Besides, I often leave my phone at my dimly lit desk, my juice is 100% VG so it's kinda gloopy when cold & doesn't 'level' evenly enough to calm my fears of a dry burn/running out in a black tank, at least when looking via this MK1 eyeball... Oh aye, & I use mini novas exclusively on top of egos (& now spinners) therefore you can't see internally as well as I imagine you could on the big nova. Will check when the provari/nova arrives.

I hear you re the metal tanks, way I see it is, that the nova plastics come from china too (doesn't everything), therefore unless I cut out all chinese stuff, then there's a risk I believe can be mostly mitigated by using trusted suppliers of genuine kit, (eg Vision or Joyetech) whether it's chinese or not; and hope the manufacturers want to keep us alive & buying! That said I don't do their juices...just a walking contradiction me ;)

Anyway, Inverness? Blimmin southerners ;) Just kidding, good to know you! 'Little Glasgow' here, aka Alness.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 12:05:44 AM by northernlights »

Online caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »
welcome to the den northern  ;D

Good to see you stopped lurking and decided to join the madness,  all tips and tricks  gratefully received  :P

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 12:15:39 AM »
Hey, another highlander. ..I was beginnings to think I was alone in my quest :-)
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

Offline northernlights

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 12:59:40 AM »
Thank you for the warm welcome Caz, Dan, Jed & Mark et al, thought it was going to be just me & my insomnia tonight :)

Dan, not quite... I know two other vapers (& now you) I'm trying to convert more... see new topic HERE before I hijack this thread anymore :)