The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Wicking with Cotton!  (Read 18395 times)

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
Wicking with Cotton!
« on: May 16, 2012, 04:10:44 PM »
I've been following a thread on ecf forum about using cotton -- yes, cotton, to make wicks.   The thread is mostly about re-wicking an atomizer that is wrapped in wire.   They are having success with this.   It all started because one fellow stated that particles of silica will come lose and this not good for the lungs.   You can find the thread here:  http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/modding-forum/284030-wick-materials-safe-vs-dangerous.html

Yes, I've read the entire 60-page thread on this, but along the way, I would cut and paste some pertinent posts.   Today, I made a wick using cheesecloth and my ego-c is vapin like a champ -- shitloads of vapor.   Also, there is a great video on page 48 of the thread.    If you want to read my cut-and-paste, just PM me with your personal e-mail address and I can attach it a regular e-mail (it is in Microsoft WORD format).     

Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Tara

Re: Wicking with Cotton!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
Not mercerised cotton thread though I imagine, it has quite a high cellulose level?
The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest - G'Kar Babylon 5

Not had a cigarette since 12/10/2011

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:48:22 PM »
Correct, not mercerised cotton.  Some folks have used 100% cotton yarn, some 100% cotton candle-wicking stuff, some with 100% cotton sterile pads and some with 100% cheesecloth.

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Tara

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »
Correct, not mercerised cotton.  Some folks have used 100% cotton yarn, some 100% cotton candle-wicking stuff, some with 100% cotton sterile pads and some with 100% cheesecloth.

Curious, sounds quite an interesting project, if I ever get time off from this constant round of OU assignments I might give it ago with an old T atty to see how it performs, what is the opinon regarding flavours? Do they linger?
The universe is driven by the complex interaction between three ingredients: matter, energy, and enlightened self-interest - G'Kar Babylon 5

Not had a cigarette since 12/10/2011

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 05:07:50 PM »

Curious, sounds quite an interesting project, if I ever get time off from this constant round of OU assignments I might give it ago with an old T atty to see how it performs, what is the opinon regarding flavours? Do they linger?
[/quote]

I can't say yet as I haven't changed flavors, but somehow I think it might!  I'll post something maybe tomorrow when I switch flavors.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:29 AM »
Just changed the flavor and I was surpised that it did not take long for the old flavor to disappear.   I did "tail pipe" it 3 times before switching flavors and did 1 cold draw before starting.   The old flavor had chocolate liquior mixed in it and that normally takes awhile to disappear.   My initial impression is that it did not take any longer than usual!

Offline Victoria

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 11:36:56 AM »
Sounds interesting Lettie, how have you made it please?

Victoria.
Keep smiling; makes people wonder what you're up to  O:-)

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:59:51 AM »
Sounds interesting Lettie, how have you made it please?

Victoria.

It really was so easy, it's scary!    I'll have to get back with you on that cause I am just leaving here to run a few errands and then meeting up with some girlfriends.

BTW, are you ignoring me on that "other matter"?    Just wondering cause I've not heard back from you since I PMed you yesterday AM!   :))

Offline Victoria

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
No! Not ignoring you, sorry. Woken up with 'flu and am feeling sorry for myself.....can't vape so getting aggy. :(

Online caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 12:38:40 PM »
That sucks Victoria  hope you feel better soon,   i cant vape when i have a cold either,   next time i have one,  gonna try some menthol and see if that helps,  gotta have my nicotine fix or i get stroppy  :P

Offline Victoria

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 12:40:40 PM »
Thanks Caz, I can't taste menthol either and the sore throat sucks. Got another hour at work then I'm going straight to bed.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 12:46:24 PM »
Thanks Caz, I can't taste menthol either and the sore throat sucks. Got another hour at work then I'm going straight to bed.

Vic -- now I feel like a dog for posting that and you being sick!!!

Hope you're feeling better REAL soon!

Offline Victoria

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 01:00:41 PM »
No Lettie! My fault, I should have replied yesterday but ran out of time, thought I'd get up to date today and even further behind now.

I'm considering have a few brandy and port in bed tonight.....purely medicinal.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »
This is how I made my new cotton wick with cheesecloth!

When I opened the cheesecloth package and unwrapped, it was doubled.   Start out by cutting a piece (doubled) about 10cm or 12cm by about 10cm (I edited this size from my original post because 16cm was too long and made the wick too thick). 

When using the cheesecloth, it is a little delicate and can become unraveled.   Using my mouth, I moistened one end of it so that I could get it started to roll it.   Once you've rolled the cheesecloth into a tube shape, use your thumb and forefinger to roll it tighter.   I would not suggest wetting the entire piece to roll it (I did that in the beginning and got a wick that was too thick).  You want to be able to put this wick in the spike while it is dry so that it will then expand once it is wet with eliquid.   

Once it is rolled tight enough to fit into the spike, you want to put it into the spike.    Sometimes I will use a straight pin to help get it into the spike. 

Once it is in the spike, you want to cut both ends of it.   The top end so that none of the cheesecloth is above the spike and at the bottom end, about equal with the round metal.

Then, you want to saturate the wick with some eliquid.   Put a drop or two on both ends.    Then prime your device and start vaping.    I have to warn you though that I got a "fabric" taste for about the first 20 or so draws.   I spoke with another ecf forum member who boiled his cheesecloth and still got the taste.   I'm not sure what you could do to get rid of that taste before you make your wick; so any suggestions would be welcome!   

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 11:38:05 AM by Lettie22 »

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
That mod is sooooo cheesy .... LOL couldn't resist.

Stupid question..... does anybody know what cheese cloth is made out of?
First time I have seen this in the vaping realm.

Offline Victoria

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 10:17:52 AM »
Thanks Lettie, that's really interesting. You'd think it would burn but I know it doesn't as I'm using a saturated cotton wool ball rolled up this morning and it's going strong on the second tank.
I regret all those wasted hours of finding silica wick now!

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 10:23:19 AM »
That mod is sooooo cheesy .... LOL couldn't resist.

Stupid question..... does anybody know what cheese cloth is made out of?
First time I have seen this in the vaping realm.

100% cotton.   In fact, there may be some cheesecloth out there that isn't 100% cotton, so make sure you get the 100%.   I bought this at a grocery store.  Someone mentioned that walmart has it also in their "craft" department.

"Cheesy" -- good un Darth!

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
Thanks Lettie, that's really interesting. You'd think it would burn but I know it doesn't as I'm using a saturated cotton wool ball rolled up this morning and it's going strong on the second tank.
I regret all those wasted hours of finding silica wick now!

Any "cotton" or "fabric" taste to begin with Vic?

Offline Tango

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 10:25:41 AM »
Wow Lettie, I am gonna give this a try. Looks so easy. :-*

Offline Victoria

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 10:29:20 AM »
No, but strangely I got loads of flavour stright away and no TH for about the first 10 draws. I soaked it thoroughly in PG first.

I've just taken it out to see what it looked like and I expected it to be discoloured but it's still bright white, I'm really surprised!

I've just tried the cheese cloth way, other half used to have a cheesecloth flannel that's now in my vape kit! It works!!! I haven't noticed a cloth or soap taste but then this flannel has been through our laundry system since last Xmas!

Thanks for all this info Lettie, just makes vaping so much easier knowing supplies are never going to run out!

Victoria.

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
Too freakin funny Vic -- vapin your hubby's shirt!

One VERY IMPORTANT thing is that the wick HAS to stay wet or else I would imagine it could possibly be set on fire from the heat of the coil.

I find I am getting so much more vapor with the cotton wick.   Flavor and TH is still great, but the vapor is enormous!

Offline Tango

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 11:58:49 AM »
Hey Girls, thanks for the PM Vic. The Youtube was all greek to me :)) The guy was using cotton wool for both the coil and the wick. I assume it is plain old cotton wool. As to the wire need help with what it is. Certainly worth a try, got a couple of old "C"s I can play with, sorry to have binned about 15 or so :'( If this works as well as we think, might save enough dough to buy something shiney, OMG I never learn. :-*

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
I seem to recall Horseman told me once that he, along with a bunch of others from TW forum, were on chat one night and re-wired a Tornado atty.    Maybe he (or someone else) will come along and tell us how they did it.   I really don't want to wrap the wire in cotton, because I'd like to dry-burn it from time to time.   

In case anyone else is interested in seeing this video, you can find it here (thanks to Vic P): 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SOliSE9xYc

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
 Thanks Vik, I can now re- wick & replace the coil in a C atty.
They are stubborn little critters to get completely apart, especially removing the wires from the ceramic coil holder, I assume after the first time it will be easy using the same atty.
I made the coil too high a resistance  but it vapes great at 5.5v, next time it will be lower, will test before I put the next one completely together.

I used Glass Fibre Wick
http://www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yxve46fvrnud.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/yxve46fvrnud/Products/MarkT-WICK-1m
And Nichrome wire
http://www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yxve46fvrnud.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/yxve46fvrnud/Products/MarkT-WIRE/SubProducts/MarkT-WIRE-
Whether it is worth the effort is hard to say but its nice to know I can do it in an emergency situation.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Tango

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 06:48:39 PM »
Thanks Cyborg, answered my question about the wire. The cotton wick has got me thinking, will it burn? I have some glass fibre wick, hmmm.