The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Wick and Wire Help ??  (Read 2757 times)

Offline oopsi82

• Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Wick and Wire Help ??
« on: August 01, 2013, 08:37:38 PM »
Allright so im kinda new to vaping, been off analog's and exclusively vaping for a whole month now.  I can Allready see it will be alot cheaper to build my own coil's and  im getting ready to order but im still not sure what size/gauge/ect to order. Right now im not getting into anything real big-- i do have a venus(eternity clone) dripper i will eventually need to re-do, and i plan on probably trying to do the same on vivi nova and a soon to be ordered protank.
So, i know there is ecowool ive heard good things about- and silica.. coming in 1,2,3mm( i think)
and there is the kanthal or ribbon and ive seen come in many gauge's
i just dont know what would be best for me to use, so any suggestions or tips would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Oh yea, Also, If anyone can point me towards the best places for order in US for price and quality 
Thank you again

Offline SamIam

• Vapeologist
  • Location: Intergalactic, planetary...another dimension..another dimension.
  • I'll take a whole lot of lumps!
Re: Wick and Wire Help ??
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 10:04:46 PM »
I'm just posting here so I can follow what all the gurus have to say...im just getting into the wrap your own scene as well  ;D

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:09:01 PM »
2mm  silica and .20 A1 kanthal wire would be a good place to start.
Eko wool works well, but I'm more of a silica guy as I don't think it makes that much of a difference.
Once you get your coiling skillls sorted then you can move on to bigger wicks and wire but thats a good starting point  :)+1
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

<~~~~~sign or you will suffer dry hits and a crappy battery life

Offline Horseman

• Vapeologist
  • Army Medic 1968-1971
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 04:41:51 AM »
Personally I have a collection.

For wire I have 28g, 30g and 32g.  After testing and all I have sorta settled on the 32g wire and 2mm wick.

But I think as with flavors it's all subjective.  The supplies are so inexpensive that there is no reason not to get a selection and see what you like.

Also depends on what ohm coil you are trying to achieve.

There is also the option of trying premade coils.
Vaping since 10/22/2010

Offline TopCookie

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 05:06:40 AM »
Ditto on the 2mm wick and 32awg Kanthal as the best starting point and general all-rounders...  :)

Offline oopsi82

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
Thank you TC,Horseman, and Dan for the tip's. Pretty consistent answers so i think i have it now, i just have to find a reasonably priced distributor now. I Really appreciate the guidance

Offline TopCookie

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 07:38:50 AM »
You're very welcome oopsi82...  I know just how bewildering all this stuff is when we start out...  :)

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
  • Trying hard to be a geek girl!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »
Just FYI, I know that Stormys (one of "our" vendors" in links above) does care a lot of rebuildable supplies, including the ekowool, various sizes of wick and wire.   I've both both silica and ekowool from them.

Also, I know you can get the silicia and the wire off of e-bay.   
Paulette         Vaping since 10-18-11

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Gazza35

• Vaping, the road to redemption
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:42:11 AM »
as someone thats just started all this rebuilding stuff myself i can honistly say get a rba dripper like the ego-l firstly its way easyer to practice making coils on then a genie and the flavour is epic. i use 2mm ekowool and .25 kanthal wire and have fantastic times on them  :)+1 i fold my wool so i have 4 strings then wrap that. it gives me about 1.3 ohm to 1.5 ohm my seamingly prefered ohm area :D guess i could go 3mm ekowool and use less but i just seem to find 2mm better for my likeing. honist truth is m8 you will have to find your own style and way. only solid advice to start is ekowool or silica  and kanthal .20 to 0.25 start there and tweek. happy hunting m8ty  :()()

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 07:07:00 PM »
I would recommend the .20mm Kanthal and the 2mm Ekowool silica to start.  I like the .4mm ribbon better than the wire, but there's really not that much of a difference in vapor output and flavor with silica.  More of a difference with a steel wick.  I like the ribbon on silica mainly because it's tougher and cleans up with a dry burn a lot better.

Offline danwldr

• The Modfather
  • Global Moderator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 07:51:33 PM »
You're very welcome oopsi82...  I know just how bewildering all this stuff is when we start out...  :)
and it is still a lot of the time  :}}}
3rd vapersary 23/12/2014

<~~~~~sign or you will suffer dry hits and a crappy battery life

Offline Erick

• Living the Dream
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 11:04:01 PM »
 :}-]   I rebuild wick and coil assemblies for a friend who owns a shop and I am proud to say, customers come in and request the rebuilds I have done rather than new ones.  They are telling my friend, they find the rebuilds work better and last longer.  In the course of doing this I have used wool, fiberglass, and silica wick materials and 32ga and 34ga kanthal wire.  I would like to increase the turns in 1.8 ohm coil, so iam going to change to 28ga Kanthal or 30 ga nichrome 60.  K A1 32ga is 0.7 ohms/inch, 28ga is 0.4 ohms/in., and NiC 60 is 0.6 ohms/in.  It doesn't sound like much, but it will allow another two coils in a 1.8 ohm coil which will provide more vapor. 

As for wicking, I use mostly silica and prefer 2mm for 6 strand long wick asseblies and a 2mm and a 3mm in 4 strand assemblies.  If forced into a single wick situation I'll use 3mm or, rarely, cotton.  Cotton wicks like a thirsty camel after a month long desert crossing, but is more difficult to work with.  Bottom wick assemblies are easy to rebuild.  I use 1 pc of 2mm and 1 pc of 3mm wrapped together inside the coil, but you have to be careful NOT to wind the coils to tight. 

Surprising enough, factory made wick assemblies are not as close to the labeled value as you would think.  There tolerance is +/- 0.3 ohms.  Think about it, a 1.8ohm coil can be between 1.5 and 2.1 ohms.  In the long run, this means very little to the user.  Only a real techn - geek, like me, would know or care. 
Eric  :>}>  Full Time RV'ers - Coming to a Town Near You

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »
Wow Erick, you use a lot of wick:   "2mm for 6 strand long wick assemblies and a 2mm and a 3mm in 4 strand assemblies"     

I usually only use ONE 3mm in my CE5s, but usually do bunny ears or double the 3mm on my RBA drippers!

Can you tell me what you find in the difference of using so much wick?    More flavor, more vapor?

"If you choose to do nothing now, don't be surprised when you have nothing (vape-wise) later."   By Mark Burton

Offline Erick

• Living the Dream
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »
Wow Erick, you use a lot of wick:   "2mm for 6 strand long wick assemblies and a 2mm and a 3mm in 4 strand assemblies"     

I usually only use ONE 3mm in my CE5s, but usually do bunny ears or double the 3mm on my RBA drippers!

Can you tell me what you find in the difference of using so much wick?    More flavor, more vapor?

The customers tell my friend I rebuild for that they last longer, provide better vapor volume. and a bigger taste.  My engineering brain, (yes, Edith, I do have a brain) says the more surface area you have in the production zone of the assembly, the more vapor/taste can be produced.  I am doing this in my head so don't shoot me  if the numbers are wrong, the engineering is right.  A single 3mm strand of wick  has about 2.25mm x n (the length of the coil or the production zone) area producing vapor.  Add a 2mm second piece of wicking and you get 2.25 + 1.606 = 3.856mm of producing area.  Now that is the pure vanilla version.  To get down to the nitty gritty you have things like contact area and wick flow rates, etc that enter into the true answer.  So, for all intent and purpose, I am controlling the vapor production thru wick surface area.  Additionally, since I wind the coil by hand, using the wick material as the mandrel, aai is less likely I will wrap the wire tight enough to strangle the wick.  The reason I am looking to go to wire with fewer ohms per inch is to prevent flooding.  Theoretically, If I increase the number of turn in the coil, I will increase the area of the furnace, thus increasing the assemblies ability deal with a sudden increase in fluid volume.  Stay tuned and when I get my new wire I'll let you know how it went. 

An There you have my tail (I'm a little devil you know) of woe.    Eric   :})>

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »
Well, I can tell you that I am going to try a 2mm and a 3mm together and check it out Erick!

BTW, I love "little devils"!

Offline Erick

• Living the Dream
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 05:10:58 PM »
Well, I can tell you that I am going to try a 2mm and a 3mm together and check it out Erick!

NOW I know I have to come the the vape meet in September.  LETTIE, WILL YOU BE THE DANCING GIRL WITH THE BOW IN HER HAIR?  I hate the caps lock key!!!!

Offline CraigHB

• Vaping Engineer
  • Mod Maker
  • Vaping Guru
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 05:31:23 PM »
Uh oh, technical stuff, don't get me started :)

I agree with what you're saying but you also have to consider the total heat and the surface area it's applied to.  For example, even if you have more total heat you may actually get less vapor production if that heat is spread out over too large an area.  In that case, the temperature of the wick may actually be lower.

There's a balance between the size of the wick/coil and the amount of power applied so that you get an optimal temperature.  If you maintain that balance, then bigger wick and coil means more vapor production.  If you don't, you could end up at one extreme or the other (too hot or too cold) resulting in poor performance.

Offline Dom

• Genesis Master
  • Chief Waffler
  • The Den Hobbit
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »

NOW I know I have to come the the vape meet in September.  LETTIE, WILL YOU BE THE DANCING GIRL WITH THE BOW IN HER HAIR?  I hate the caps lock key!!!!

Oy! Don't muscle in on my internet girlfriend. I already have to share her with her husband and Horseman as it is!  {W}

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 08:40:39 PM »
 :}}}

Offline Dom

• Genesis Master
  • Chief Waffler
  • The Den Hobbit
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »
and don't you think I didn't notice you Oopsi eyeing her up in the photos of your Vapemeet...  <:>

Offline oopsi82

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 07:32:06 AM »
and don't you think I didn't notice you Oopsi eyeing her up in the photos of your Vapemeet...  <:>
really???    :-[ i thought i was being pretty smooth about it.. guess i need to work on my moves. ;)

Offline Lettie22

• Vaping Goddess
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 09:05:25 AM »
You're the best Dom -- being so protective of me!    SO WISH YOU could come to one of our vape meets!      x:)x      :-*

Offline Erick

• Living the Dream
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 01:21:51 PM »

I agree with what you're saying but you also have to consider the total heat and the surface area it's applied to.  For example, even if you have more total heat you may actually get less vapor production if that heat is spread out over too large an area.  In that case, the temperature of the wick may actually be lower.

There's a balance between the size of the wick/coil and the amount of power applied so that you get an optimal temperature.  If you maintain that balance, then bigger wick and coil means more vapor production.  If you don't, you could end up at one extreme or the other (too hot or too cold) resulting in poor performance.

It is being proven by the customers and when I do my own.  Big vape, good flavor, last longer, all words spoken by users. 

Offline SamIam

• Vapeologist
  • Location: Intergalactic, planetary...another dimension..another dimension.
  • I'll take a whole lot of lumps!
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »

It is being proven by the customers and when I do my own.  Big vape, good flavor, last longer, all words spoken by users.

Sounds like you're pretty good at maintaining the balance that Craig was talking about :)