The Vapers Den

Author Topic: The Den is live again!!!!  (Read 163 times)

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
The Den is live again!!!!
« on: September 03, 2017, 12:39:34 AM »
Sorry everyone for the down time the last couple of days. The host had some major server issues and suffered some damage/server loss. As a result of this they had to move the Den to a replacement server and use a backup copy to restore the site. Because the backup was a little over 24hrs old at the time of the crash we lost about 1 days worth of new posts.

Very sorry for those that contributed but thankful there were no big long posts that were lost... mostly just the usual chatter and banter. In an event like this there is nothing that can be done about it. Luckily the threshold of pain was small and not weeks worth of posts.

We seem to be ok now and everything appears stable and functional.. if you spot any issues, bugs, glitches please do let me know so either myself or the host can resolve it.

Welcome back  :()()

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • -Sesquipedalian Man- You can call me Pete
Re: The Den is live again!!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 07:40:29 AM »
I check with http://IsUp.Me when I can't connect to the Den (or any other website). It's usually me (or something local), but this time it wasn't.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com is the full name of the site, but the above short URL is quick. Quickest is isup.me/somewebsite.com

Try isup.me/google.com or isup.me/microsoft.com for a quick demonstration. (Or even isup.me/thevapersden.com )

I'm just happy that it was a short interruption with minimal loss. I was on a genealogical forum that lost years of posts when their host failed. I had copied (via a long day of copy-and-paste) an entire thread (70 kb) with all the research looking for my g-g-grandfather to my local disk not long before it happened, so I was lucky, but a lot of people lost years of research. I can still search it, but the forum/thread structure is gone.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:34:17 AM »
Who you choose as a host is important.. especially when events like this happen. This one has been really good to us with next to zero downtime. What you described Pete happens a lot, and a horrible thing when it happens.

It sounds like that site was on a home brew server with an Admin not up to the challenge. Losing years of posts is really bad and irresponsible. Basically it says they never backed up the site.. even when making tweaks or doing maintenance.

I never touch the Den on the back end without first doing a backup. You never know what will happen if something goes wrong. It's a rule not everybody follows and usually regrets the day some data gets borked. Sometimes its the Admin that screws it up. I have had this happen to me a couple of times... both instances the backup was only a couple of minutes old so no harm or loss. Sometimes it only takes changing a setting. The SMF site is full of people scrambling to somehow recover there sites... its a game of Russian Roulette in those instances....very painful to read.   

In this event there was nothing I could do about anything really. Hate that feeling but I know this host well and was confident they would get it all back together on there end. 

They are compensating us for the loss... not sure what it is but most likely a nice chunk of free hosting.

In a nutshell some posts were lost... we received a break in the cost to run the Den. Some good in the bad. Hope you all can understand though it's just one of those things.

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »
 As long as we are up & running again thatís OK with me.
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently