The Vapers Den

Author Topic: San Francisco to ban sales of vaping flavored liquid  (Read 691 times)

Offline caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
San Francisco to ban sales of vaping flavored liquid
« on: June 23, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
San Francisco to ban sales of vaping flavored liquid

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/san-francisco-ban-sales-vaping-flavored-liquid-48192121

San Francisco city supervisors unanimously approved a measure that bans the sale of flavored nicotine-laced liquid used in electronic cigarettes and flavored tobacco products, saying nicotine masked in cotton candy, banana cream, mint and other flavors entices kids into a lifetime of addiction.

Other cities have passed laws reducing access to flavored vaping liquids and flavored tobacco but San Francisco is the first in the country to approve a sales ban.

Sales of vaping liquids that taste like tobacco will still be allowed.

"We're focusing on flavored products because they are widely considered to be a starter product for future smokers," said Supervisor Malia Cohen, who sponsored the bill.

Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, a nonprofit organization that advocates for vaping products, said the ordinance is "complete nonsense" and ignores the benefits of flavored vaping products.

"There is a great deal of evidence that flavors are critical to helping adults quit smoking by helping them disconnect from the taste of tobacco," said Conley, who quit smoking in 2010 with the help of watermelon flavored "e-liquid," the liquid used in electronic cigarettes.

Conley pointed to a report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released last week that found the number of high school and middle school students using e-cigarettes fell to 2.2 million last year, from 3 million the year before. The CDC also estimates that the number of middle and high school students using tobacco products fell to 3.9 million last year, from 4.7 million the year before.

"Unfortunately, San Francisco supervisors ignored that data and the stories about how vaping was the only thing that helped many smokers quit," he said.

The measure approved Tuesday requires another vote by the board next week, which is expected to pass. The law would take effect in April 2018.

Cohen, who represents the historically black Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood, said tobacco companies advertise 10 times more in black neighborhoods and market candy and fruit flavored products to young people, the LGBTQ community and other minorities.

"For too many years, the tobacco industry has selectively targeted our young adults with products that are deceptively associated with fruits and mint and candy," said Cohen, whose grandmother smoked menthol cigarettes for years and died of emphysema.

"Menthol cools the throat so you don't feel the smoke and the irritants and it masks the flavors. This legislation is about saying enough is enough," she added.

Businesses that violate the law could have their city tobacco sales permits suspended.

Small business owners have said they will lose business because people can still buy the flavored "e-liquid" and tobacco products in neighboring cities or purchase them online and have them delivered to their San Francisco homes.

"Those tobacco products aren't 100 percent of our revenue, but they are an anchor product," Miriam Zouzounis, a board member of the Arab American Grocers Association whose father owns a small corner store, told the San Francisco Chronicle.

She added: "Even at 15 percent of our stock, it's what brings people through the door. We can't compete with Safeway or Walgreens for food and milk items, let alone the online retailers filling the gap for everything else."

The San Francisco ban is the latest restriction on tobacco products approved in California. The state's cigarette tax increased in April by $2 per pack, more than doubling the previous tax of 87 cents a pack.

Last year, Gov. Jerry Brown approved tougher tobacco regulations as part of a special legislative session on health care. The state's legal age to buy tobacco was boosted from 18 to 21 and existing regulations governing tobacco were extended to electronic cigarettes.

Federal law bans sales of flavored cigarettes. But it does not prohibit the sale of menthol cigarettes or flavored tobacco products other than cigarettes.

more here -  https://casaa.org/news/san-francisco-passes-one-size-fits-all-flavor-ban-condemns-smokers-to-status-quo/
http://p2a.co/hoHP3gO

Offline jane plane

Re: San Francisco to ban sales of vaping flavored liquid
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 01:51:39 PM »
That's just hurts the businesses....hell I like the candy flavors and I am 62.

Offline CYBORG

• Mechanical Man
  • Chief Waffler
  • YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 05:27:13 PM »
  I last used a tobacco flavour 8 years ago and I am 60 so that says something whatever way you look at it
YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

Offline Ian

• Vaping Guru
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 05:40:12 AM »
The vast majority of the people I know that vape, don't use tobacco flavoured juice. In fact, I can only think of two and they both smoke cigs when they drink!!!. Anyone that asks me about switching to vaping, I always strongly encourage them not to use tobacco flavours.

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2017, 08:08:41 AM »
I still use tobacco essence vapes .... Most don't seem to ... at work they all use mostly fruity flavors... only two of us use tobacco flavors.

When I started there I was the only one that vaped... now there are 30 or so that vape... LOL sometimes you gotta show em the way. Very few smokers left now... those few seem vape curious these days.  :)+1

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • -Sesquipedalian Man- You can call me Pete
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2017, 08:16:22 AM »
While I don't happen to use ANY flavorings myself, I have to say that this is pretty bone-headed, even for California.

How about selling totally unflavored e-juice and sell dropper bottles with flavorings on the side? (This might even let some new people experience my own opinion that flavorings are totally unneeded.)

It still wouldn't help me, as no one (except Wizard Labs) will mix juice to my (high-nic) specifications. My latest DIY mix formula (chosen to make best use of my existing supplies) is 65 mg/ml nicotine in a 68/32 PG/VG base. (This is a 500 ml jar of 4.8% Nicotine in 50/50 PG/VG mixed with four 60 ml bottles of 10% nicotine in pure PG.) It's just a bit light on visible vapor, but that doesn't concern me except when I'm trying to figure whether my tank is running dry and a good back-light isn't handy.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »
I think we should start calling you "High Octane", Pete.   >:D

Flavors are certainly unnecessary for those that vape purely to keep from going back to cigarettes. But they do make the usage more pleasant for most people.

Sometime in the near future, I should mix up an unflavored batch myself and see what it tastes like. I will then know whether I should stock up on flavoring concentrate.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • -Sesquipedalian Man- You can call me Pete
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 09:28:21 AM »
<snip>
Sometime in the near future, I should mix up an unflavored batch myself and see what it tastes like. I will then know whether I should stock up on flavoring concentrate.
Unflavored is also a very good way to test small batches to fine-tune nicotine levels and PG/VG ratios. It takes the amount of flavoring (which is very hard to control at such small amounts) away as an uncontrollable variable. BTW, working with small unflavored batches for exactly that purpose is how I discovered that I really didn't care about the flavoring. Oddly, I also discovered that exact nicotine levels (as long as they were high - somewhere in the middle between 50 and 100 mg/ml) and PG/VG ratios (as long as they were between about 75/25 and 25/75) didn't matter much to me either.

I now determine formulas by seeing what easy (no measuring) mixes will fit my fairly wide tolerance. Now I have all those 500 ml jars of 4.8% nicotine in 50/50 juice (which I once thought would be my final formula), along with all my older 60 ml bottles of 10% in  pure PG, so the formula above works: one jar and four bottles; pour roughly half the jar into an empty jar; put two bottles into each jar; shake well; pour back and forth a few times to even out the mixture and voila - ready to vape.
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
  • Beverage Supplier to the Naughty Corner
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 12:13:09 AM »
It's my understanding that one of the Ecig trade organizations (and probably more than one) will be filing suit against SF.  I have not seen the claim or heard how they are going to approach it.  This was a very heavy hitting regulation, it goes so far as to ban the sale of menthol cigarettes.  On the other hand, San Leandro and Oakland are both still in play and we may win in both of those Bay Area cities.  However, once one city passes an ordinance like this, we tend to see it race across the U.S. with a few outlier states, counties or cities not joining in.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
  • Cheerios are NOT donut seeds!!!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 07:50:02 PM »
What a crock of shit?!?!?!?!?!?!?  The most progressive state stonewalls vaping freedom?  WTF???  So, Pot is okay, but Kiwi-Strawberry is Satan's work?  Who's been fucking them up the ass and running all this shit up to their brains, 'cause they are simply ignoring facts and going to their own way!!! {W} {W} {W} {W} {W}
-- Rik

Cigarettes RIP 10-20-2014

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 11:14:30 PM »
fahk,

it's about two things really, money and a legacy of failed politically charged tobacco wars in the state.  I think I may have written about the economics of anti vaping some time ago somewhere in the Den.  If not, I will one day.  in the meantime, to really understand why this is all happening go watch "A Billion Lives."  It is a great 2 hour documentary on the war on vaping, I should be able to answer any questions you have afterwards, particularly as a number of the folks in the documentary are friends and colleagues of mine so I have a pretty good feel for what they are trying to communicate.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2017, 04:38:27 AM »
Thanks Mark!!!

I'll find that documentary and watch it.  Can't believe it's all about money, but it is the root of all evil and a lot of stupidity.
-- Rik

"Everybody quits smoking one way or another, I just so happen to quit and am NOT six feet under."

Offline vapingfool

• Dr Ohm
  • Vaping Guru
  • Curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2017, 06:07:25 AM »
Part of it is all about the money. The pharma industry doesn't want us vaping, as it is far more effective at stopping smoking than their mostly useless prescription nostrums with their huge profit margin.

The anti-smoking crusaders have been pretty much ineffective for decades at reducing smoking, much less eliminating it. They may subconsciously believe that if they can force the elimination of vaping, they are proving that there actually is some worth to their pathetic existences. They just cannot understand that, if vaping went away, the smoking rate would skyrocket.

I Vape and I Vote!

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2017, 08:01:16 AM »
Just finished watching "A Billion Lives" and I have to say that it was very educational and eye-opening.
-- Rik

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2017, 11:42:32 PM »
Part of it is all about the money. The pharma industry doesn't want us vaping, as it is far more effective at stopping smoking than their mostly useless prescription nostrums with their huge profit margin.

The anti-smoking crusaders have been pretty much ineffective for decades at reducing smoking, much less eliminating it. They may subconsciously believe that if they can force the elimination of vaping, they are proving that there actually is some worth to their pathetic existences. They just cannot understand that, if vaping went away, the smoking rate would skyrocket.

That's more or less the legacy issues I alluded to above.

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2017, 11:45:04 PM »
Just finished watching "A Billion Lives" and I have to say that it was very educational and eye-opening.

Let me know if you have any questions, I may be able to address them.  I will be around now and again.  Every vaper should watch this documentary to really understand what we are up against and to understand why looking at things from a Dem/Repub or Liberal/Conservative point of view will only lead to failure.  We need to either replace the entire political landscape or take over both (not one) but both parties.

Offline FahKingNut

• Vapeologist
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2017, 08:26:18 AM »

Let me know if you have any questions, I may be able to address them.  I will be around now and again.  Every vaper should watch this documentary to really understand what we are up against and to understand why looking at things from a Dem/Repub or Liberal/Conservative point of view will only lead to failure.  We need to either replace the entire political landscape or take over both (not one) but both parties.

Yeah, you really have to look at it as Crook #1 and Crook #2!!!  Cigarettes are the only item that I know of that when used as directed, knowingly does the user harm, and there is no "safe way" to smoke.
-- Rik

Offline Mark Burton

• The Vaporizer
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 11:16:14 PM »
Oakland has now fallen as well.

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently