The Vapers Den

Author Topic: Popping noise and liquid popping into mouth  (Read 1118 times)

Offline slk123

Popping noise and liquid popping into mouth
« on: December 25, 2016, 02:21:32 PM »
Hi all! This is my first post and would like to just say it's good to be here!

Was hoping someone could help me with my problem and also maybe recommend a new tank to me.

I just bought an aspire x30 Rover kit along with some replacement nautilus x coils. I'm new to vaping and looked like this would be a solid introduction to vaping and help me quit smokes. It's been wonderful so far! Except for one thing...

Right before I replaced my coil I was experience popping sounds and hot juice shooting up through the drip tip and into my mouth. Ouch. And annoying! I figured it was time to replace the coil (after a week of heavy use) everything was great, hitting smooth feeling like nothing was happening but still getting good hits. Then the popping started again. Been playing around with different wattages and it seems more prominent the higher wattage I go. I like to vape around 12w but still will get the pop into my mouth.

I tried shaking liquid out the drip tip but it comes out dry. I don't think it's the liquid because it only just started happening. I use 60/40 pg/vg and 85/15 pg/vg 6nic. I'm not sure what's going on here guys, could someone please help?

Also if anyone can suggest a new tank for my mod I would be grateful for that as well because the 2ml tank is kinda small for me but I do like the conspicuous size however a 4ml or 6ml would be perfect.

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
Re: Popping noise and liquid popping into mouth
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 10:49:48 PM »
Welcome to the Den slk123!!!  :()()

Short term fix would be to get a narrower drip tip and/or a longer one. It's a bit slow today with the holiday.. I'm sure someone can recommend atomisers that use replaceable heads soon. It's an issue that pops up with most atomisers.

It does make me wonder if the PG/VG ratio in the liquid may have something to do with it. Do you have any other flavors around from a different manufacturer that you can try?

I know of one atomiser that uses heads that have a piece of woven wire mesh over the top of the head to eliminate this problem... Just not sure of its name. Think it might be Innokin ... a friend at work uses it... will have to ask him.

Offline slk123

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 10:53:57 PM »
Welcome to the Den slk123!!!  :()()

Short term fix would be to get a narrower drip tip and/or a longer one. It's a bit slow today with the holiday.. I'm sure someone can recommend atomisers that use replaceable heads soon. It's an issue that pops up with most atomisers.

It does make me wonder if the PG/VG ratio in the liquid may have something to do with it. Do you have any other flavors around from a different manufacturer that you can try?

I know of one atomiser that uses heads that have a piece of woven wire mesh over the top of the head to eliminate this problem... Just not sure of its name. Think it might be Innokin ... a friend at work uses it... will have to ask him.
Hi there thank you for the response! Yeah I expect it to be slow with it being Christmas and all :). No worries! I just find it really weird that it only started popping in my mouth recently. First 6 days I had my new mod and it was perfect.

I did just buy a smok alien 220w starter kit, hopefully it will be here soon! I actually just switched out to a 85 vg juice so we'll see how that works. I got the popping on a 60/40 pg vg juice. Hopefully the vg one will fair me better. Merry Christmas!

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • -Sesquipedalian Man- You can call me Pete
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2016, 08:21:01 AM »
Try removing the coil from the tank and rinsing the base out with warm water, drying it well (blow some air through it while turning it to scavenge any water), and reinstalling the coil. You may have some juice in the air chamber under the coil. When a drop gets sucked up and hits the hot coil it can spit like that. OTOH, you do get used to it (or at least I did).

I eventually went to 8-10 Watts and even TC mods with nickel coils. Welcome to the Den.  #$#
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline Darth Vaper

• Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
The atomiser I was talking about was the Innokin iSub. Not sure if any others use the wire mesh deal on their heads.

The new setup you have is a sub ohm setup... you might have the same problem with that.. might be worse. If so a longer drip tip is the quickest fix. One with a smaller bore would be best.

As Pete said... the way the air/liquid feeds and flows over the coil can have more or less of an effect depending on it's design.

Online caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2016, 12:01:12 PM »
Just to add to the other responces,    i've had a look around the net and some of the suggestions i found is that the atty is flooded,  try blowing any excess juice out,  also because the nautilus coils wick very well,  its better to use a higher vg juice and finally  take everything apart and clean it,  when you put everything back together make sure nothing is loose. 

Welcome to the den   #$#

Offline slk123

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Thank you for the responses everybody! I really do appreciate it!

I'm a beginner to the vape scene, currently off the stanky darts for a week now and have no urges to look back!

I bought replaceable coils because I just don't have the knowledge, tools, or drive to do any rebuilds. But I will try to blow out any excess liquid from the coil once my tank is out of liquid!

Caz thank you for that, it does seem like it's a combination of my high pg juice and pulling too hard. I switched to 85 vg and the popping has gone down quite a bit!

Online caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2016, 12:57:47 PM »
Congrats on the week   :]=]

Yeah vaping is totally different,  you cant just puff on it like a cigarette,  long slow controlled draws are the key,  gives you a better vape and better throat hit. 

Happy to answer as many questions as you need to ask,   thats what we are here for   8)   There is a learning curve to vaping,  we've all been there and know how frustrating it can be,  just ask away. 

Offline slk123

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2016, 08:27:48 PM »

Yeah vaping is totally different,  you cant just puff on it like a cigarette,  long slow controlled draws are the key,  gives you a better vape and better throat hit. 

Happy to answer as many questions as you need to ask,   thats what we are here for   8)   There is a learning curve to vaping,  we've all been there and know how frustrating it can be,  just ask away.
I've definitely been taking slower hauls now. On my 85 vg juice it's perfect but as soon as I switch to 60 pg juice it starts to pop. Is there a way I can minimize that on my 60pg juice? I have an aspire x30 Rover and a nautilus x tank with 1.5 ohm coil. Doesn't seem like the wattage matters much because I'll get the popping anywhere from 12-18w :(. Might be something I'll need to get used to until I get my alien 220w

Offline pwmeek

• Vapeologist
  • -Sesquipedalian Man- You can call me Pete
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
Not to get too technical, but there are two ways of measuring Wattage: Average (not as accurate but easy/cheap to do) and RMS (Root Mean Square - accurate, but requires some extra circuitry).

There are also two main ways for a mod to adjust Wattage: By regulating the Voltage (difficult/expensive/accurate) and PWM (Pulse Width Modulation - cheap/easy/difficult to measure).

Depending on the fraction of power used vs the total power a PWM mod is capable of you need to set an Average-reading mod 10-40% lower than an RMS-reading mod to get the same amount of energy delivered to your coil. If you get a super-high-powered mod (220 Watts) and run it at a tiny fraction of its capability (under 20 Watts) this inaccuracy is more significant.

The problem is, you don't know whether your particular mod uses voltage regulation or PWM, and you don't know whether it displays Average power or RMS power (at least not without some pretty fancy electronics equipment or a lot more information than most mod makers supply). This makes it really hard to make Wattage comparisons between mods.

That said, I think even 12-18 Watts is a bit high and may be why your coil is popping and spitting. High power is for cloud chasers (who actually expect popping and spitting), and I think (from your posts) that you are vaping for the nicotine.

I use 8 or 10 Watts (depending on which mod I am using). It's 8 Watts on my iStick 20 (PWM and Average reading) and 10 Watts on my dna40-based mod (unknown to me which type of control and display it uses). That's 25% more Wattage as displayed, but by effect (how they vape) the same setting. (And as the rest of the folks here will tell you, I am definitely vaping for the nicotine.)
--Pete                                       Using nicotine is not the same as smoking.
Individuals have a right to Harm Reduction.

Offline navydoc1969

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 07:43:12 AM »
Hello, I have been Vaping over 10 years I discovered e-cig's in Japan during my U.S. NAVY DAYS. First time was in port in a very large port sea side market and met and talked to a family member and friends of the inventor of the first e-cig's. A little background popping and spitting happens same set up will produce different results lowering watts is not always the answer remembering we are taking a liquid and heating it into a vapor = VAPING. THE NAME OF THE GAME IS EXPERIMENTING EVERY MACHINE IS DIFFERENT ALSO ATOMIZERS 5 in a pack every one is and acts different sometimes more air helps wrap paper napkins over air slots and blow extra liquid out. If you're vaping straight for say 45 to one hour at lunch then put it down for awhile then start vaping again your mod's atomizer may be soaked.  Also MECH MODS ARE WORSE AND You NEED A Lot OF EXPERIENCE AND ELECTRIC KNOW How BEFORE JUMPING INTO THE PRO MMA PIT MECH MODS EXPLODE BATTERIES EXPLODE GET EXPERT HELP PLEASE AND BE SAFE AND ENJOY VAPING
ANALOG FREE FOR 9 years!!

Online caz

• Vaping Angel
  • Administrator
  • Chief Waffler
  • Apple Queen
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 08:56:32 AM »

I've definitely been taking slower hauls now. On my 85 vg juice it's perfect but as soon as I switch to 60 pg juice it starts to pop. Is there a way I can minimize that on my 60pg juice? I have an aspire x30 Rover and a nautilus x tank with 1.5 ohm coil. Doesn't seem like the wattage matters much because I'll get the popping anywhere from 12-18w :(. Might be something I'll need to get used to until I get my alien 220w

is there a reason that you dont want to use the 85 vg juice?   is it because it doesnt give you as much throat hit?    higher pg juice is good for throat hit,   you can buy an additive to increase throat hit,  just add a few drops to your juice  http://www.eliquidmart.com/flash-e-liquid-by-flavourart/

or use a longer drip tip as Darth  suggested. 

Welcome to the den  Navydoc,   congrats on the 9 years  thats awesome

Offline slk123

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 11:06:42 AM »

is there a reason that you dont want to use the 85 vg juice?   is it because it doesnt give you as much throat hit?    higher pg juice is good for throat hit,   you can buy an additive to increase throat hit,  just add a few drops to your juice  http://www.eliquidmart.com/flash-e-liquid-by-flavourart/

or use a longer drip tip as Darth  suggested. 

Welcome to the den  Navydoc,   congrats on the 9 years  thats awesome
I like the taste of my pg juice. It's one of my favorite flavors :). I also like the throat hit of the pg but I am also finding I get a throat hit from the vg as well

* Theme Select

Forum Default

Permanently